Archive through August 31, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - September 2005 » [klaivu] What was that you said? » Archive through August 31, 2005 « Previous Next »

John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the phone not working? so the person at the other end started swearing at it?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 10:58 pm:

Was the phone not working? so the person at the other end started swearing at it?
Nice thinking there, but no.
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you phone the other person? or did the other person phone you?
Did the person phone you unintentionally? eg by sitting on the phone?
Was the person already in the middle of a conversation when the phone call began?
Aside from you and the person at the other end of the phone, how many people are involved: none? 1? 2? more?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 08:37 pm:

Did you phone the other person? or did the other person phone you?
The other person phoned me.
Did the person phone you unintentionally? eg by sitting on the phone?
No.
Was the person already in the middle of a conversation when the phone call began?
Yes and no. Cannot answer, really.
Aside from you and the person at the other end of the phone, how many people are involved: none? 1? 2? more?
None. You spotted the FA, well done.
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

RECAP: I arrived in the middle of a conversation, and all I got out of it were insults.
-Another person phoned me, no other people were involved.
-The insults were not meant as insults, but I interpreted them as such.
-The other person was talking to me and about me.

And this bit is highly relevant:
By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:27 pm:

Did the conversation people even know that you were there?
This one is rather yope. "Yes and NO!" that is.
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you talking to someone on your mobile phone as you approached their house/apartment/whatever, and you arrived at the door and knocked/whatever, and the person (not knowing it was you at the door) insulted the person at the door (i.e. you) for having interrupted your phone call?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Wednesday, August 24, 2005 - 06:43 pm:

Were you talking to someone on your mobile phone as you approached their house/apartment/whatever, and you arrived at the door and knocked/whatever, and the person (not knowing it was you at the door) insulted the person at the door (i.e. you) for having interrupted your phone call?
Nice idea, but no.
Annelies (Annls)
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the person that phoned you thought you were someone else?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Annelies (Annls) on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 08:21 am:

Did the person that phoned you thought you were someone else?
No.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 3:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the person who phoned you talking to someone else at the time (besides you, I mean)? Were they driving? Was the insulting part aimed at you? Was it intended as an insult when said?

Was the thing you interpreted as an insult aimed at some other entity (e. g. person, television, advertisement etc.)? Was it even disparaging in intent?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 03:40 am:

Was the person who phoned you talking to someone else at the time (besides you, I mean)?
No. Only two people involved in the entire puzzle.
Were they driving?
No.
Was the insulting part aimed at you?
Yes.
Was it intended as an insult when said?
No.

Was the thing you interpreted as an insult aimed at some other entity (e. g. person, television, advertisement etc.)? Was it even disparaging in intent?
No and no.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote:

And this bit is highly relevant:
By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Monday, August 01, 2005 - 07:27 pm:

Did the conversation people even know that you were there?
This one is rather yope. "Yes and NO!" that is.

They did and didn't know that you were there. But they didn't think that you were someone else.

Were they saying something (to themself?) while they waited for you to answer the phone, and didn't hear you pick up? Were they aggravated about something? About having to call you? about you not answering right away?

It wasn't an insult, and it wasn't even disparaging; was it something along the lines of "Come on, come on, answer already I haven't got all day... Jeez!"
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 08:41 pm:

They did and didn't know that you were there. But they didn't think that you were someone else.
Correct.

Were they saying something (to themself?) while they waited for you to answer the phone, and didn't hear you pick up? Were they aggravated about something? About having to call you? about you not answering right away?
Who do you mean by "they" here? The person talking to me on the phone? Remember, there are only two people in the entire puzzle, and that includes myself. If so, yes, "they" were aggravated. And I would say noish to "about you not answering right away?".

It wasn't an insult, and it wasn't even disparaging; was it something along the lines of "Come on, come on, answer already I haven't got all day... Jeez!"
No, it wasn't.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"they"= the other person on the phone; the one who called you. (Sorry, I tend to use 'they' as second-person singular gender-neutral.)

When you heard the insults-that-weren't-insults, had you said anything on the phone yet?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, August 30, 2005 - 04:36 pm:

"they"= the other person on the phone; the one who called you. (Sorry, I tend to use 'they' as second-person singular gender-neutral.)
No matter.
When you heard the insults-that-weren't-insults, had you said anything on the phone yet?
Yes.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You arrived in the middle of a conversation between yourself and someone else? Or was the other person conversing with her/himself?

Is/are the language(s) being spoken relevant?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This does not appear to have been asked: was it a live person on the other end (vs. a recording)?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 04:37 pm:

You arrived in the middle of a conversation between yourself and someone else?
Exactly.
Or was the other person conversing with her/himself?
Not really.

Is/are the language(s) being spoken relevant?
Nope, though it was finnish.

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 04:39 pm:

This does not appear to have been asked: was it a live person on the other end (vs. a recording)?
Yes - a live person.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had the other person thought they were leaving you a message and so started talking before you actually answered? Or were they leaving a message which you interrupted?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:13 pm:

Had the other person thought they were leaving you a message and so started talking before you actually answered?
No.
Or were they leaving a message which you interrupted?
No.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So basically the caller started talking before you started listening? Or had they started talking before you could hear them? Could they hear you before that? Had the phone been answered before you started listening to it?
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 05:28 pm:

So basically the caller started talking before you started listening?
Basically, yes.
Or had they started talking before you could hear them?
Yopeish to C/A.
Could they hear you before that?
Yes.
Had the phone been answered before you started listening to it?
Yes!