[woubit] No such thing as a free lunc... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » [woubit] No such thing as a free lunch « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through September 25, 2005Lynne22 9-25-05  10:54 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Not bad at all :) Somewhat reminiscent of a critique of "Mr Eliot's Sunday Morning Service":

Higgldey piggledy
Thomas Stearns Eliot
Made a whole poem to
Carry one word.
What was it, now? "Poly-
philoprogenitive".
I do not like it. I
think it absurd.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A miner with the name of Moses
Asked 'My dear do you supposes
That the reason I'm sick
is Pneumonoultramicroscopic
silicovolcanoconiosis?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm afraid that I haven't the wits
To write poems good as Lynne's and Woubit's;
So I'll turn to the task
Further questions to ask
Re: the mailbox that emptily sits.

Had you sent a message, and were expecting a reply? Had you sent a message to yourself? Had someone told you an e-mail was on the way?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 12:23 am:

I'm afraid that I haven't the wits
To write poems good as Lynne's and Woubit's;
So I'll turn to the task
Further questions to ask
Re: the mailbox that emptily sits.

Your poems are witty and brief
In a fashion that passes belief.
I could hear them all day,
But - what did you say?
There's a question to answer? Good grief.

Had you sent a message, and were expecting a reply? no Had you sent a message to yourself? of course - it's the only way I can be sure of having an intelligent correspondence. Or to put it another way, no. Had someone told you an e-mail was on the way? no, but this is very much in the right forest...
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Higgledy-Piggledy, Woubit in London town
Looked at his inbox and found it was bare.
Who sent a message that Woubit expected,
But which (when he looked for it)
Just wasn't there?

Or, in other words, was there in fact a certain person or organisation that would have sent this message?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 05:27 am:

Higgledy-Piggledy, Woubit in London town
Looked at his inbox and found it was bare.
Who sent a message that Woubit expected,
But which (when he looked for it)
Just wasn't there?

Lack of communication is a very serious business, you know. For well it was said by the bard:

Higgledy piggledy
Romeo Montague
Waited for letters from
Laurence the Friar.
Finding that Balthasar
Came empty-handed, he
Incontrovertibly
Did something dire.

Or, in other words, was there in fact a certain person or organisation that would have sent this message? no
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A statesman who's known as Ed Koch
Got lost on the way to a loch
He emerged from the fog
At Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgog
erychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

'S mile s' is still the longest word :)
Tony (E20)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No long words in this poem - quite mirthless!
Is there anything here on this earth less
Deserving of space
In this erudite place?
... You could estimate it to be worthless.

Was the inexplicability of the emptiness due to the disappearance of messages that were previously there? Or the non-appearance of expected messages?

Was this an event which happened on one particular occasion? more than one occasion? was/is it a common situation?

Was an explanation ever discovered? If so, was it a technical problem? a misunderstanding on your part? a misunderstanding by someone else?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 03:29 pm:

A statesman who's known as Ed Koch
Got lost on the way to a loch
He emerged from the fog
At Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgog
erychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch

Excellent :)

Looking at this, one might say:

Gibraltar's a place with a rock in it,
And Thailand's a place with Bangkok in it.
But the actual name
Of this city of fame
Is Krung-thep-mahan... - put a sock in it!

By Tony (E20) on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 06:05 pm:

No long words in this poem - quite mirthless!
Is there anything here on this earth less
Deserving of space
In this erudite place?
... You could estimate it to be worthless.

Equally excellent :)

Was the inexplicability of the emptiness due to the disappearance of messages that were previously there? no Or the non-appearance of expected messages? yesish

Was this an event which happened on one particular occasion? this one more than one occasion? was/is it a common situation? no

Was an explanation ever discovered? yes If so, was it a technical problem? a misunderstanding on your part? yes a misunderstanding by someone else? no
Tony (E20)
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just in case anyone didn't spot the reference ....

If you're stumped by the congratulation
For the previous communication:
The enigma'll unlock
If you know "floccinauc-
Inihilipilification".

See link

Were you expecting one particular message? Were you expecting several particular messages? Or were you expecting to find the run-of-the-mill random messages that tend to appear in mailboxes?

Had you mastered the technicalities of opening the mailbox? Were you looking in the right place?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On Googling and finding another limerick with Moses used to rhyme with pneumonoultramicroscopic
silicovolcanoconiosis I've decided to prove originality with this ode to Moses' friend

On seeing the bunch of roses
And a note where his girlfriend proposes
Said I'm also sick
With Pneumonoultramicroscopic
silicovolcanoconiosis
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tony (E20) on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:16 am:

Were you expecting one particular message? Were you expecting several particular messages? Or were you expecting to find the run-of-the-mill random messages that tend to appear in mailboxes? I was not expecting any messages in particular

Had you mastered the technicalities of opening the mailbox? yes Were you looking in the right place? yes
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did the explanation turn out to be that no one had, in fact, sent you any messages?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 03:08 pm:

Did the explanation turn out to be that no one had, in fact, sent you any messages? indeed, no one had. But what needs to be discovered is why this was inexplicable.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you got lots of girlfriends who send you messages morning noon and night?
Did your computer make some kind of sound or show a message indicating that you had new e-mail?
Were you checking messages on your computer? phone? hand-held organiser?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 09:54 am:

Have you got lots of girlfriends who send you messages morning noon and night? oh, dozens. I am well-known on the LTPF for my incurably romantic nature.
Did your computer make some kind of sound or show a message indicating that you had new e-mail? not exactly, but...
Were you checking messages on your computer? this one phone? hand-held organiser?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there a problem with the server which prevented the messages from being downloaded?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 11:31 am:

Was there a problem with the server which prevented the messages from being downloaded? nothing so banal, I am afraid. Apologies for lack of answers - just back from a trip to Florence. And please do not ask "Who is Florence?"
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Why ask? She is obviously one of the dozens of girlfriends...

So...you thought you had e-mail, and the reason was some indication you noted on your end, yes?

Did you receive an alert in error? or misinterpret its meaning?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 05:37 pm:

So...you thought you had e-mail, and the reason was some indication you noted on your end, yes? no, nor on any other part of my anatomy. But the reason I thought I had email was because of something that occurred in my vicinity, if that is what you mean.

Did you receive an alert in error? no, but... or misinterpret its meaning? no, but...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Read receipts relevant?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you hear the ding-tone-chord-thingy that your computer uses to announce new mail?
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, sorry. I suppose it would be wise to finish my thoughts before I hit 'submit'.

Was the ding-tone-chord-thingy on the tv? radio? rather than your computer?

I answered my phone once because the phone rang on tv...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:00 pm:

Read receipts relevant? no

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:47 pm:

Did you hear the ding-tone-chord-thingy that your computer uses to announce new mail? exactly so - well done :)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 06:52 pm:

Oops, sorry. I suppose it would be wise to finish my thoughts before I hit 'submit'.

Was the ding-tone-chord-thingy on the tv? radio? rather than your computer? well, not entirely. But that will do.

I answered my phone once because the phone rang on tv... and I... well...

***** SPOILER *****

Kris Delmhorst's "Moscow Song" has an oft-repeated two-note phrase on the guitar which is almost exactly the sound my computer makes when I receive an email. I was playing the song on my computer rather than on my CD player, so I kept thinking that someone had sent me a message. When I looked at the mailbox, though, it was inexplicably empty.

Well done Rabrab, Mosquito and all.
Badger Bristle (Nagrom)
Posted on Thursday, October 06, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

where did all the old crowd go?
Tony (E20)
Posted on Friday, October 07, 2005 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gone for soldiers every one ...
When will they ever learn?
When will they ever learn?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: