Archive through September 28, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » [QuackScience] A tasty fruit? » Archive through September 28, 2005 « Previous Next »

Larry Troxler (Quackscience)
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you weren't lost before, you might well be now!
Ian (Image)
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mushrooms of forgetfulness?
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mushrooms of forgetfulness? No, sorry
Ian (Image)
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is 'you' any one specific?
'you' = human? male? adult? alive? relevant?
you = you?
Did I do something relevant that causes me to be lost now?
Did I not do something?
Did someone else do something?
Did someone else not do something?
Did I eat anything? Is the title of the puzzle relevant?

Am I lost because I came to somewhere I haven't been before? Because I can't find my map? Because I have amnesia? Because I can't see?

Any one else relevant?
Is this a true situation? From a book/play/story/show/movie/joke? FYOI?
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Ian,

Is 'you' any one specific? No
'you' = human? Yes
male? Irrelevant
adult? Irrelevanat
alive? Yes

you = you? No

Did I do something relevant that causes me to be lost now? Possibly
Did I not do something? Possibly

Did someone else do something? No
Did someone else not do something? No
Did I eat anything? I don't know, would you rather be lost on a full stomach or be lost and hungry at the same time?

Is the title of the puzzle relevant? Obliquily, yes

Am I lost because I came to somewhere I haven't been before? Possibly
Because I can't find my map? Possibly
Because I have amnesia? No
Because I can't see? No

Any one else relevant? No
Is this a true situation? It could have been true at times, who knows? It certainly could happen, I suppose

From a book/play/story/show/movie/joke? No to all

FYOI? Possibly, but It's a plausible scenario
Posted on Sunday, September 25, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry for the possible answers - I can tell now I need a bit more experience in hosting puzzles - let's just say, that yes, if you didn't have a map, that it would be more likely that you would get lost. But you could say that in general about traveling anywhere. There's something more to it than just that, in this case.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"lost" (as relevant to this puzzle) as in not knowing one's location relative to a known location? or "lost" as in "I'm lost... i don't understand ___________?"

or....

"forbidden fruit" relevant to being "lost"?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lost as in a lost cause? ("There's no hope of curing him... he's lost...")
Lost like a bet, or game? ("Haha! You need to take care of mother when she visits!")
Some other kind of lost?

Sorry, let me rephrase the "you = you?"

Is the 'you' who may not have been lost before the same 'you' who might as well be lost now?

Relevant where 'I' am? Where 'I' was?
Was 'I' travelling anywhere? Did 'I' change location from before when 'I' may not have been lost to now when 'I' might as well be?
Time of day relevant? Day? Month? Year? Timeframe in general?
Time span between when 'I' may have been lost to now relevant?
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis:

"lost" (as relevant to this puzzle) as in not knowing one's location relative to a known location?
Yes
or "lost" as in "I'm lost... i don't understand ___________?" No

or....

"forbidden fruit" relevant to being "lost"? No

Ian:

Lost as in a lost cause? ("There's no hope of curing him... he's lost...") No
Lost like a bet, or game? ("Haha! You need to take care of mother when she visits!") No
Some other kind of lost? Yes

Sorry, let me rephrase the "you = you?"

Is the 'you' who may not have been lost before the same 'you' who might as well be lost now? Yes

Relevant where 'I' am? Yes!
Where 'I' was? Yes
Was 'I' travelling anywhere? Yessish
Did 'I' change location from before when 'I' may not have been lost to now when 'I' might as well be? Yes
Time of day relevant? No Day? No
Month? No Year? No Timeframe in general?
Yope

Time span between when 'I' may have been lost to now relevant? Yes
Ian (Image)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has any time passed? An instant? A second? A minute? An hour? 12 hours? A day? A week? A month? A year? A decade? A century? A millenium? An era? An eon?

Before, was I on planet Earth? In North America? South America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Australia? Antarctica? Relevant? At home? At work? At church? On the road? In a forest? In the mountains? At sea? In the air? In the vacuum of space?

Now, am I on planet Earth? In North America? South America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Australia? Antarctica? Relevant? At home? At work? At church? On the road? In a forest? In the mountains? At sea? In the air? In the vacuum of space?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Monday, September 26, 2005 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

am i actually lost now?
was i actually lost then?

I noticed you never actually stated that i *was* or *am* actually lost, but that *if* i was, then i *might* be now... don't know if it's relevant, but on this forum, anything is worth exploring once...right?
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian wrote:

Has any time passed? An instant? A second? A minute? An hour? this is closest 12 hours? I hope not! A day? A week? A month? A year? A decade? A century? A millenium? An era? An eon?
No to rest

Before, was I on planet Earth? Yes In North America? Yes South America? No Europe? No Africa? No Asia? No Australia? No Antarctica? No Relevant? Yes At home? No At work? No At church? No On the road? Yes In a forest? No In the mountains? No At sea? No In the air? No In the vacuum of space? No

Now, am I on planet Earth? In North America? South America? Europe? Africa? Asia? Australia? Antarctica? Relevant? At home? At work? At church? On the road? In a forest? In the mountains? At sea? In the air? In the vacuum of space?
Same answers for now as for before

Lewis wrote:

Am i actually lost now?
was i actually lost then?

I noticed you never actually stated that i *was* or *am* actually lost, but that *if* i was, then i *might* be now... don't know if it's relevant, but on this forum, anything is worth exploring once...right?

Ok, let's get rid of the hyoptheticals. Othersize, I'll be always answering "possibly" :-)

Fred was somewhat lost before. Now he's definetly lost! And no, he doesn't have a map. How's that? :-)
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just in case it could be misinterpreted, by "How's that?", I mean "How's that for a better puzzle statement?", and not "How is it that Fred doesn't have a map?"!
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe he didn't have a woman present to make him ask for directions...

do Fred's actions during this hour-ish contribute to his being more lost? did his actions before this hour contribute to his lost-ish-ness?

is Fred:

in a city? if so, on the streets? in a building? business? residential? belonging to him? somewhere he is not supposed to be?
in a forest?
on foot?
in a vehicle?
with anyone else?
with any other living thing? as a companion? or just in the general vicinity?
Does anyone else know where he is?
Is it relevant why he is there?
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do Fred's actions during this hour-ish contribute to his being more lost? Yeshih
did his actions before this hour contribute to his lost-ish-ness? Noish

is Fred:

in a city? Yes
if so, on the streets? Yes
in a building? No
business?
residential?
belonging to him?

somewhere he is not supposed to be? No
in a forest? No
on foot? Most likely
in a vehicle? But could be this too
with anyone else? Irrel
with any other living thing? Irrel
as a companion?
or just in the general vicinity? Yes, there are other living things in the general vicinity
Does anyone else know where he is? Irrel
Is it relevant why he is there? Not really
Ian (Image)
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he in, say, Quebec, and, being a monolingual English speaker, he is unable to find his way around or ask for directions? Did he expect to be lost? Relevent what city he's in? What province/state/country?
Posted on Tuesday, September 27, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is he in, say, Quebec, and, being a monolingual English speaker, he is unable to find his way around or ask for directions? No, and in fact once he asks for directions he will probably find his away again

Did he expect to be lost? Irrel Relevent what city he's in? YES!

What province/state/country?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so, North American cities... let's start with Canada...
Whitehorse? Yellowknife? Iqualiwit? (Probably spelt differently than that, but...) Victoria? Vancouver? Regina? Edmonton? Winnipeg? Toronto? Ottawa? Montreal? Quebec City? Halifax? St. John's? Fridricton? Charlettetown? Some other Canadian city? If so, in Alberta? .... Yukon Territory?
And now for America, which I'm not so good with...
Washington DC? New York? Boston? Kansas? Orlando? Miami? Some other large American city which I can't think of? If so, in what state? Alabama? .... Wyoming?
Or in Mexico somewhere? Mexico City?
Or somewhere else in North America?

Relevent why he didn't ask for directions? Relevent where he's going? Where he's coming from?
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ian (Image) on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 02:38 am:

Ok, so, North American cities... let's start with Canada...
Whitehorse? Yellowknife? Iqualiwit? (Probably spelt differently than that, but...) Victoria? Vancouver? Regina? Edmonton? Winnipeg? Toronto? Ottawa? Montreal? Quebec City? Halifax? St. John's? Fridricton? Charlettetown? Some other Canadian city? If so, in Alberta? .... Yukon Territory?
And now for America, which I'm not so good with...
Washington DC?
New York? This
Boston? Kansas? Orlando? Miami? Some other large American city which I can't think of? If so, in what state? Alabama? .... Wyoming?
Or in Mexico somewhere? Mexico City?
Or somewhere else in North America?

Relevent why he didn't ask for directions? Only in that there wouldn't be a puzzle otherwize

Relevent where he's going? Not really Where he's coming from? Not Really
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he confuse the numbered streets with the numbered avenues? Was he looking for a neighborhood by name, thinking that it was a street? looking for a street, thinking that it was a neighborhood? (SoHo? the Village? Chelsea?)

Was he even in the right borough?
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 03:15 pm:

Did he confuse the numbered streets with the numbered avenues? No, but somewhat OTRT in general - explore!

Was he looking for a neighborhood by name, thinking that it was a street? No
looking for a street, thinking that it was a neighborhood? (SoHo? the Village? Chelsea?) No

Was he even in the right borough? Yes
Ian (Image)
Posted on Wednesday, September 28, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, Fred is walking in New York and loses his way, because he did/didn't do something over the course of the last hour... Is that correct? Is he a tourist? Or there on business? Or does he live there? Is he going to see some famous building? The statue of liberty? The Empire State Building? Relevent what part of the city he's in? Central park? Anything unusual and relevent about Fred we need to find out?