Archive through September 30, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » [QuackScience] A tasty fruit? » Archive through September 30, 2005 « Previous Next »

Larry Troxler (Quackscience)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

****************RECAP*************************

Fred is walking along the streets of the Greenwich Village section of Manhattan, New York City. He may have been somewhat lost up until now - because he doesn't have a map and hasn't asked for directions. Most likely he's a tourist exploring the area. He arrives at a certain location and now he thinks to himself, "Now I'm definitely lost!". He is not on a numbered street or avenue, although the street he is on is not unnamed. It is not a dire situation, more a whimsical, humurous one. What is it about where he is now that made him think this?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is he back at the place he started from?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 01:07 am:

is he back at the place he started from? No
Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did he come to a street called, Orange Ave. or something like that? So, "I thought I was in the Big Apple, but it turns out I'm in Orange?"
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ian (Image) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:28 am:

Did he come to a street called, Orange Ave. or something like that? So, "I thought I was in the Big Apple, but it turns out I'm in Orange?"
No! Nothing like that! But maybe you understand the puzzle title now. Anyhow, try a different approach.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he thought to himself "Now I'm really lost!" was he using "lost" in the sense of 'don't know where I am'? or in another sense?

if another sense, is it:
doomed?
confused?
at his wit's end?
something else?

Was it the street name that made him think that he was really lost? the name of a business on the street? the name of a building on the street? a sign he saw? something in a window?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:51 am:

When he thought to himself "Now I'm really lost!" was he using "lost" in the sense of 'don't know where I am'? Yes, but see below
or in another sense? No

if another sense No, but..
, is it:
doomed?
confused? Perhaps this
at his wit's end?
something else? Yes, amused!

Was it the street name that made him think that he was really lost? Not in itself, no, but explore!

the name of a business on the street? No
the name of a building on the street? No
a sign he saw? Yes!! Explore!!
something in a window? No

Good Questions!
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 3:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooo-kay.

Lets see if I can properly phrase this:

Did the sign say something that, lacking any other context, would lead someone to believe that they were somewhere other than in Greenwich Village, NY?

Was the sign on:
a bus shelter?
a building?
a person?
a kiosk or cart?
a car?
a bus?
a truck?
some other type of vehicle?

Was the sign:
An advertisment?
an identifying sign? (like the name of a company?)
graffitti?
an informative sign? (like the ones above the subway entrances or at bus stops?)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:59 am:

Oooo-kay.

Lets see if I can properly phrase this:

Did the sign say something that, lacking any other context, would lead someone to believe that they were somewhere other than in Greenwich Village, NY? No

Was the sign on:
a bus shelter?
a building?
a person?
a kiosk or cart?
a car?
a bus?
a truck?
some other type of vehicle?
No to All

Was the sign:
An advertisment?
an identifying sign? This(like the name of a company?)
graffitti?
an informative sign? (like the ones above the subway entrances or at bus stops?)
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... was this sign its own little display out in front of something? Was it identifying something that he thought shouldn't be where he is? Was it just an odd name on the sign? Funny?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:08 pm:

So... was this sign its own little display out in front of something? Yope / rephrase
Was it identifying something that he thought shouldn't be where he is? Yessish
Was it just an odd name on the sign? No Funny? No
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rephrase: Was the sign out in front of a building? a structure? in the open? a store?
randomly placed on the sidewalk?
Was the sign cardboard? A wood collapsable sign? Something made of marble? Metal? Posted at eye level? knee level? waist level?

Was that out of place something the sign identified... in another part of the city? nearby?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:36 pm:

Rephrase: Was the sign out in front of a building? It happens to be in this case, but that's not really relevant
a structure?
in the open?
a store?
randomly placed on the sidewalk? No, it's location certainly is not random

Was the sign cardboard? no
A wood collapsable sign? No
Something made of marble? no
Metal? Yes
Posted at eye level? knee level? waist level? None of these

Was that out of place something the sign identified... in another part of the city? No
nearby? Yes
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, so the sign was in fact identifying a building? A company? But it was out in front of the building rather than on the building?

Is the company well-known?
Is whatever is on the sign well-known?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 02:55 pm:

Ok, so the sign was in fact identifying a building?
No
A company? No

Is whatever is on the sign well-known? I assume you mean what the sign is identifying. I would say no. It's probably known to most residents of the neighborhood, but I'm not sure otherwise how many people know it. Probably ranging from a certain percentage of frequent visitors to the area, to a much smaller
percentage of say, people who have no interest in New York city and/or are outside the US.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the sign indicate...
A place?
A residential area?
A park?
A buisness?
A service?
A square?
A shopping area?
A rule?
A law?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the sign on a post or pole? hanging from something above the sidewalk?

above eye level? or set into the sidewalk?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:44 pm:

Does the sign indicate...
A place? Yesish
A residential area?
A park?
A buisness?
A service?
A square?
A shopping area?
A rule?
A law?

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:47 pm:

Was the sign on a post or pole? Yes hanging from something above the sidewalk?

above eye level? Yes or set into the sidewalk?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it a "Welcome to ... " sign?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 03:57 pm:

Was it a "Welcome to ... " sign? No
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if either I gave a misleading answer, or else it's just Friday :) I thought that this part would be a bit easier
Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hell?

"Hello There" with "O" and "T" struck out?