Archive through September 30, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » [QuackScience] A tasty fruit? » Archive through September 30, 2005 « Previous Next »

Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm. You said that the place was nearby. So maybe not.
Larry Troxler (Quackscience)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lauri Ahonen (Klaivu) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 05:09 pm:

Hell?

"Hello There" with "O" and "T" struck out? No
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A street sign?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 05:57 pm:

A street sign? Yes!
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*confused, thought we'd eliminated the possibility of a street sign earlier*

Ok then. Was it the intersection of two oddly named streets? Or just the name of a single street?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 06:21 pm:

*confused, thought we'd eliminated the possibility of a street sign earlier* That's why I was wondering if I answered a question the wrong way at some point. In any case, sorry!

Ok then. Was it the intersection of two oddly named streets? Yes, depending on what you mean by oddly named

Or just the name of a single street? But the answer here is also Yes!

You're actually pretty close now, and this is the part that of the puzzle that I thought would be the toughest!
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they invoke a specific, well-known location which is not usually identified with New Yawk? Do they specify a characteristic usually not associated with New Yorkers (e. g. the intersection of Sweetness and Light streets)?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*looks at a map*

Intersection of Washington and Houston?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 06:38 pm:

Do they invoke a specific, well-known location which is not usually identified with New Yawk? Do they specify a characteristic usually not associated with New Yorkers (e. g. the intersection of Sweetness and Light streets)? Nope, none of that
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*points back to her previous post*

There aren't that many named streets... this shouldn't take long if that's not it. *rofl*
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 06:42 pm:

*looks at a map*

Intersection of Washington and Houston? No
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 06:46 pm:

*points back to her previous post*

There aren't that many named streets... this shouldn't take long if that's not it. *rofl* Mmm,
your map must not be a complete map then. There are
quite a few named streets in Greenwich Village.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok... is the name of the street...
A person's first name?
A person's last name?
A number?
Bank Street? Gay street?
Other?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:01 pm:

Ok... is the name of the street...
A person's first name?
A person's last name?
A number?
Bank Street? Gay street?

lol None of those. You like taking the brute force approach, don't you :)

Other? Yes
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOPER

A person's last name? To be more accurate: I'm not sure. But in any case irrelevant. This puzzle could be solved without knowing the specific street(s) involved.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm. For a street sign, personally I probably would have said Yes to 'informational?' and Yes-ish to 'identifying?' But that's me.

It's hard to tell on the map I'm looking at--is Marginal Street in the East Village?
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:31 pm:

Hmmm. For a street sign, personally I probably would have said Yes to 'informational?' and Yes-ish to 'identifying?' But that's me. Ok, I thought that may have been the issue. I should have asked for clarification.

It's hard to tell on the map I'm looking at--is Marginal Street in the East Village? It looks to me that there's a Marginal street in Midtown - do you see it at all on your map, and just aren't sure what neighborhood it's in? (In any case Fred isn't on Marginal street).
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The specific street names are not relevant per se? What about the descriptor-thingie (street, avenue, court, way, drive, road, route, boulevard, parkway, expressway etc.)? One-way vs. two-way relevant? Any sort of foreign language?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Avenue of the Americas?
Greenwich Street?
Bleeker Street?

YES. I like the brute force method. Finesse only works when I'm lucid and can think in a round-about way. Which is definately not this Friday.
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:49 pm:

The specific street names are not relevant per se?
Hmm, maybe because it's the end of a long week, I'm not sure how to answer this without spoiling the puzzle. Let's just say that if you woke up tomorow in an alternate universe where all the "A"'s in the world were changed to "B's, all the "B"s changed to "C"'s etc, so that all names were meaningless, the situation would still be amusing.

What about the descriptor-thingie (street, avenue, court, way, drive, road, route, boulevard, parkway, expressway etc.)? Nope
One-way vs. two-way relevant? No Any sort of foreign language? No

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 07:51 pm:

Avenue of the Americas?
Greenwich Street?
Bleeker Street?
None of those

YES. I like the brute force method. Finesse only works when I'm lucid and can think in a round-about way. Which is definately not this Friday.

lol, I know what you mean. I've been trying to think of a good question for your "Get 'er done" puzzle, and my mind is just fried.

Anyhow, let me know if you want to email you which of your guesses might be geographically closest. You will need a *good* map though if you want to crack it this way. In researching this puzzle, I found that some of the online map services had problems with this situation and/or weren't detailed enough.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was that his problem?
He had an internet map and the street he was on wasn't shown?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, September 30, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another good question... what do you count as being greenwich village? What streets count as the borders of the village? I'm guessing the water... Houston... and ?