[dryman] Out In Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » [dryman] Out In « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 04, 2005Barbara Johannessen 22 10-04-05  3:14 am
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, I'll back off a little bit on the specifics
get as specific as you want - as soon as you find out what the item is you should be one quick lateral leap from the answer :)

Is the paper a card that someone would generally carry in their wallet/purse/billfold/pocket? no

Is it issued by some official? semi-official? unofficial body or organization? by the local government? regional government? national government? by a branch of the military? by a social group? I'm unsure of this - but probably by an non-official organization

Is it signed by anyone? no since "the signer" was an FA

Is the wrong name that of the person who owned the paper? the person who gave them the paper? the person who authorised the giving of the paper? none of these
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 5:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm.
A prayer card?
a bookmark?

If I wouldn't have in my wallet, would I be likely to have it on my desk? in a drawer? stuck in a book? on the wall? on the refrigerator? fastened to another piece of paper? in my car?
Nikos (Nik_The_Greek)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well...

Is that "paper" in a frame?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm.
A prayer card? no
a bookmark? no

If I wouldn't have in my wallet, would I be likely to have it on my desk? in a drawer? stuck in a book? on the wall? on the refrigerator? fastened to another piece of paper? in my car? you could keep it in any of these places, but I guess a drawer is slightly more likely. you wouldn't want to fasten it to another piece.

Well...
Is that "paper" in a frame? probably not
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A poem? Long lost work by Shakespeare?
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 3:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it hand-written?
calligraphed?
typed?
a computer print-out?
printed by some other technique?

does it have only words on it?
words and numbers?
words and pictures?
words, pictures and numbers?
numbers only?
numbers and pictures?
pictures only?

Is there only one paper exactly like this? or is it one of a job-lot?

Is it a part of a larger piece of paper that was deliberately separated?

a newspaper clipping?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A poem? no Long lost work by Shakespeare? no

Is it hand-written? no
calligraphed? no
typed? no
a computer print-out? no
printed by some other technique? yes

does it have only words on it?
words and numbers?
words and pictures?
words, pictures and numbers?
numbers only?
numbers and pictures?
pictures only? words and a picture, and also numbers

Is there only one paper exactly like this? no or is it one of a job-lot? yes

Is it a part of a larger piece of paper that was deliberately separated? no

a newspaper clipping? no
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...

A take-out menu?
a coupon?

Are the numbers prices?
dates?
part of an address?
a phone number?
hours of operation?
weights?
ages?
Nikos (Nik_The_Greek)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it in an envelope?
It is printed by some other technique....
Is it written with a typewriter?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A flyer? A brochure? Something else used to get information out?

Does this have anything to do with those letters and publications that Ben Franklin wrote under an alias? What was his alias... Silas Dogood?
Technically, Dogood never existed. But Franklin did.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh! An almanac?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 04:33 pm:

Hmmm...

A take-out menu? no
a coupon? no

Are the numbers prices? no
dates? no
part of an address? no
a phone number? no
hours of operation? no
weights? one of the numbers may have been weight, though this may mislead
ages? no

By Nikos (Nik_The_Greek) on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 05:02 pm:

Is it in an envelope? it could be put in an envelope for safekeeping
It is printed by some other technique....
Is it written with a typewriter? no

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 06:27 pm:

A flyer? A brochure? Something else used to get information out? none of these

Does this have anything to do with those letters and publications that Ben Franklin wrote under an alias? no
What was his alias... Silas Dogood? Technically, Dogood never existed. But Franklin did. that's right.. and Poor Richard as well. but none of these were involved

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 07:15 pm:

Oh! An almanac? no. it's one piece of paper
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the words and numbers written/printed on an object in the picture?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

a badge? a costume? is the picture of the person?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the words and numbers written/printed on an object in the picture? no
is it a badge? no a costume? no is the picture of the person? yes
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the position a government position? is it related to a particular type of work? a club you can join? a sports team?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a health card? A social insurance number?
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You said that it wouldn't have any particular value to a historian. Are there people (collectors? students?) for whom it would have particular value?

Is it an old/out-of-circulation/void type of currency?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the position a government position? yes is it related to a particular type of work? yes a club you can join? no a sports team? YES :)

Is it a health card? no A social insurance number? no

You said that it wouldn't have any particular value to a historian. Are there people
collectors? YES
students? no
for whom it would have particular value?

Is it an old/out-of-circulation/void type of currency? no
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

baseball card? basketball card? football card?
The Undertaker (Undertaker)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

teamsheet?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

baseball card? YES basketball card? no football card? no teamsheet? no

can you solve the puzzle? :)
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

umm... it might take a bit more questioning. was the position pitcher? catcher? 1st baseman? 2nd? 3rd? shortstop? left field? right field? center?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

umm... it might take a bit more questioning. was the position pitcher? catcher? 1st baseman? 2nd? 3rd? shortstop? left field? this one right field? center?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do i need to find the specific left fielder? or is it just along the lines of the card saying "so and so left field" on it? if i do need to find the specific player... era = nowadays? 80s? 70s? etc? team = red sox? yankees? etc?
The Undertaker (Undertaker)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need to know about Baseball?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do i need to find the specific left fielder? no or is it just along the lines of the card saying "so and so left field" on it? YESish if i do need to find the specific player... era = nowadays? 80s? 70s? etc? team = red sox? yankees? etc? irrel
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Need to know about Baseball? you won't need to know anything other than the above answer
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did it just say left field on the front? did it have the players name then "left"? is it the name on the front of the card that was wrong? or on the back? or both?
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, did the baseball player on the card have a last name that was the same as a government position? (Governor? Mayor?)
that had a similar spelling to a government position? (Governeur? Mayer?)
that the expert assumed was a government position? or was the team name that of a government position? (The Senators?)
Posted on Tuesday, October 04, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the standard abbreviation for "Left Field" (LF) relevant?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

did it just say left field on the front? no did it have the players name then "left"? not exactly is it the name on the front of the card that was wrong? or on the back? or both? something about the name on the front caused the misunderstanding
So, did the baseball player on the card have a last name that was the same as a government position? (Governor? Mayor?) no, its the baseball position that's relevant
Is the standard abbreviation for "Left Field" (LF) relevant? this exact abbreviation wasn't used
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

L. Field?

Did the expert mistake that for the player's name? and declare the card a forgery because no L. Field ever played for whichever team it was?
dryman (Dryman)
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*whack* That's good enough for the winning run.. :)

***** SPOILER *****

On being shown an allegedly old and valuable baseball card bearing the caption:

Alexander
L. Field

the expert instantly knew that no Alexander L. Field had ever played for the team in question. Not being a lateral puzzler he failed to consider the legendary slugger Ephrastus Q. Alexander (legendary because I made him up for this puzzle) who had indeed been outstanding in left field at that time.

Good puzzling everyone and I hope it didn't require much baseball-specific knowledge. Now you see why I was so impressed when you made a stab at "position" almost right off the bat!
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Arrrghhhhh! :) :) :)

And I was just being careful, trying to avoid saying "job" (too general;) or "profession" or "office" (too narrow.)

A most excellent puzzle, dryman!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: