[Vae] Fifth Man Out Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » [Vae] Fifth Man Out « Previous Next »

Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another oldie to me... but maybe not to you.

Five men start off, but four of the men run when it starts to rain. When they all get there, together, the four runners are wet.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fifth man dry? Did he walk? Was he in a car? They all went the same place? Are these ordinary, human men? Age relevant? Location? Did the runners want to be wet? Were they wet because of the rain?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the fifth man in a coffin? (I think this one falls under the list of classic puzzles)
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Thursday, October 13, 2005 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*****************************************SPOILER***************************************

Yea. The fifth man was in a coffin, and so he was being carried to be buried.

But I didn't see it anywhere, and it's really hard to search for puzzles that might have been posted already. Since titles don't really reflect some of the puzzles, or aren't concise exactly.

But I this is a fav, so I just had to, :P.
Larry Troxler (Quackscience)
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice puzzle, except :

Why would the pall-bearers (at least that's the US term for this) start running with the casket because of the rain? Are they not carrying umbrellas? At least in the USA, this would be highly unusual and be considered disrespectul. Was it an uncovered casket?
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It was covered, which is why the fifth, corpse, did not get wet.

No. Because it was reported to have been a clear day that day. And it's kinda hard to carry a heavy casket and hold umbrellas.

At least, that's the whole story as I remember it.
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 5:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote:

By Vae (Vaetrus) on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 04:59 am:

It was covered, which is why the fifth, corpse, did not get wet.

No. Because it was reported to have been a clear day that day. And it's kinda hard to carry a heavy casket and hold umbrellas.

At least, that's the whole story as I remember it.

Ok, so no umbrellas, but still - I wouldn't want the pallbearers at my funeral to start running if it rained. It doesn't seem very dignified, some how :)
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here, lol.

True, but usually the bearers only have to go so far, or they use a car. But since it was a clear day, they decided to walk it. Unfortunately for them... it rained.
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, sorry for nitpicking! still an entertaining puzzle :)
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Saturday, October 15, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It's ok. It helped me remember the full story.
Besides, this way, it seems more likely to actually happen, with all the information known.
The Undertaker (Undertaker)
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When I carried my granddad's coffin, it was the heaviest thing I've ever had to bear (and I'm a strong guy) I can't believe anyone carrying a coffin would ever be able to also hold an umbrella.

Anyways..........
The Undertaker (Undertaker)
Posted on Monday, October 17, 2005 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Neither would I have been able to run.

The lateral jump is good though.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: