[tigger32382] Rulebreaker for Lauren... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [tigger32382] Rulebreaker for Lauren « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 30, 2005c22 10-30-05  6:52 am
Archive through November 03, 2005Benjamin Moore22 11-03-05  9:52 am
Archive through November 09, 2005Jennifer22 11-09-05  7:17 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, there it is. No, that's not correct. If it mostly works out, that's a strange coincidence. That is more complicated than I could ever come up with on my own!
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

two three four?
three two four?
two four three?
four two three?
three four two?
four three two?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 08:46 pm:

two three four? .
three two four? righto!
two four three? yes
four two three? yup sirree bob
three four two? good
four three two? .
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

three two four?
two three four?
four two three?
two four three?
four three two?
three four two?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:31 pm:

three two four? righto
two three four? righto
four two three? please
two four three? please
four three two? yes
three four two? yes
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there owt ofur?
wot eerht oufr?
where ott fuor?
rrrrr rrr rrrr?
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr?
two+three+four?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 10:39 pm:

there owt ofur? understanding you is difficult
wot eerht oufr? good
where ott fuor? great
rrrrr rrr rrrr? pretty please
rrrrrrrrrrrrrr? please
two+three+four? }{
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

?
?
!
!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte) on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 12:05 am:

? CA
? CA
. CA
. CA
! CA
! CA
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 2:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

??
??
!!
!!
???
!!!
????
!!!!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 02:48 am:

?? Zebras!
?? Zebras!
!! !!!!!!
!!!!!!!!
??? Zebras!
!!!!!!!!!
???? Zebras!
!!!!!!!!!!
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the number of characters in the question relevant?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 2:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the number of characters in the question relevant? no
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the content of the question relevant?
Is the content of your answer relevant, or only the fact that some are CA's and some are not?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the content of the question relevant? No, with a slight ish
Is the content of your answer relevant, or only the fact that some are CA's and some are not? No, again with a slight ish... the ones that are not CAs are answered according to a rule, though.
Mezzoforte (Mezzoforte)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad I asked
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... if the content of the question isn't really relevant... is it the punctuation of the question that is relevant? The name of the poster? the day of post? The date of post? the time of post?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... if the content of the question isn't really relevant... Perhaps we should clarify what you mean by content... is it the punctuation of the question that is relevant? can be The name of the poster? no the day of post? no The date of post? no the time of post? YES!!! This is very relevant!!!
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. Numbers of the time relevant? am vs. pm relevant? The time that the questioner posts the important time? The time that you post relevant? Even numbers relevant? Odd numbers relevant? Number Sequences in the time relevant?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. indeed Numbers of the time relevant? yes am vs. pm relevant? no The time that the questioner posts the important time? this one The time that you post relevant? Even numbers relevant? Odd numbers relevant? Number Sequences in the time relevant? no to rest
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a specific time that is relevant? The first two digits in the time relevant? The last one? Do you only answer questions whose characters match or are greater than the first number in the time?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a specific time that is relevant? yes The first two digits in the time relevant? yes... whatever the hour is The last one? Do you only answer questions whose characters match or are greater than the first number in the time? yes! Good work! you have figured out which questions I can answer... now how do I answer them?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the time once again relevant to the content of the answer? Is there some correlation between one of the numbers in the time and whether or not you answer with a period? Is it a direct relationship? Or do you perform some mathematical operation on the number before selecting which ones to answer and in what way? I.e. Twice the hour = period. Is the hour of the time the only relevant number to this rule?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the time once again relevant to the content of the answer? yes Is there some correlation between one of the numbers in the time and whether or not you answer with a period? well, yes, but may mislead Is it a direct relationship? yes Or do you perform some mathematical operation on the number before selecting which ones to answer and in what way? I.e. Twice the hour = period. Is the hour of the time the only relevant number to this rule? yes
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The content of the question itself has nothing to do with your answer (what you write other than CA)? The number of characters is only relevant for determining what you can answer? Or does the number? type? of characters determine the letter/character you lead your answer with?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The content of the question itself has nothing to do with your answer (what you write other than CA)? What do you mean by content? You could ask me about anything, but something about what is asked is relevant... depends on how you define content The number of characters is only relevant for determining what you can answer? well... Or does the number? sort of type? of characters determine the letter/character you lead your answer with? this is what you are trying to figure out right now... you are right, the only relevant part of my answer is what letter/character i lead with... now how do i get there?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are we trying hard enough?

It doesn't matter!
It doesn't matter!
It doesn't matter!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:26 pm:

Are we trying hard enough? .

It doesn't matter! .
It doesn't matter! .
It doesn't matter! .
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woah. That was weird.
Under the circumstances...
Was that a question?
Was that a question?
I dare say it was.
I dare say it was.
Or is this one?
Or is this one?
Even in the quietest moments.
Even in the quietest moments.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 05:37 pm:

Woah. That was weird. Very, I agree
Under the circumstances... please will get you far
Was that a question? don't know
Was that a question? don't know
I dare say it was. .
I dare say it was. .
Or is this one? yes
Or is this one? yes
Even in the quietest moments. calm is great!
Even in the quietest moments. calm is great!
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And if I do this?
But what about this?
Can I make a difference?
Does it really matter?
Even though I just can't stop?

Fundamentally?
Generally?
Hopefully?
Indubitubly?
Laterally?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you add a number to another number and that resulting number is a multiple of the code for which character you lead with? I don't know quite yet where you pull the numbers from... but, would it be something to that effect? I.e. 23+2 = 25 = y, where 2 is the hour of posting.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 06:00 pm:

And if I do this? can't tell you secrets!
But what about this? algeria
Can I make a difference? antelope
Does it really matter? yes
Even though I just can't stop? definitely!

Fundamentally? maybe
Generally? always
Hopefully? giraffes
Indubitubly? cannot say
Laterally? aardvark

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 07:58 pm:

Do you add a number to another number and that resulting number is a multiple of the code for which character you lead with? I don't know quite yet where you pull the numbers from... but, would it be something to that effect? I.e. 23+2 = 25 = y, where 2 is the hour of posting. Nothing that complicated!
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ASCII relevant?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

abcdefghijk?
kabcdefghij?
jkabcdefghi?
ijkabcdefgh?
hijkabcdefg?
ghijkabcdef?
fghijkabcde?
efghijkabcd?
defghijkabc?
cdefghijkab?
bcdefghijka?
abcdefghijk?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 7:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ASCII relevant? nope

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 02:34 pm:

abcdefghijk? x
kabcdefghij? a
jkabcdefghi? t
ijkabcdefgh? h
hijkabcdefg? c
ghijkabcdef? d
fghijkabcde? i
efghijkabcd? u
defghijkabc? .
cdefghijkab? e
bcdefghijka? j
abcdefghijk? x
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. Does the letter you lead your answer with correspond (code-wise) to one of the letters/characters that I question with? Do you determine which character based on... location in the question? The time of posting? (the hour?) The punctuation that is used? After that, is it a direct conversion using some sort of alpha or numeric code? Something like a = x or d =.?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hrm. Does the letter you lead your answer with correspond (code-wise) to one of the letters/characters that I question with? YES! Do you determine which character based on... location in the question? yes The time of posting? YES! (the hour?) The punctuation that is used? only in that punctuation affects location After that, is it a direct conversion using some sort of alpha or numeric code? Something like a = x or d =.? YES! You almost have this whole thing now. The only thing left to figure out is exactly how I came up with the conversion...
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, you take the hour? Count that many characters? e.g. 2:34 pm, hello? So the character selected would be "e"? And then you do a direct conversion to __? e = period? "."? Or d = "."? Is it the first letter of each question that determines it?

Is the conversion simply a random code you made up? Is it based on the character location on a computer keyboard?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, you take the hour? YES! Count that many characters? e.g. 2:34 pm, hello? So the character selected would be "e"? YES! Exactly! I counted all punctuation, but not spaces And then you do a direct conversion to __? e = period? "."? Yes Or d = "."? Is it the first letter of each question that determines it? no, it's the letter of the hour, as you figured out above

Is the conversion simply a random code you made up? No Is it based on the character location on a computer keyboard? YES! You are almost there...
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, November 18, 2005 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a standard keyboard the only relevant keyboard? (Qwerty keyboard?) Are you using an alphabetical keyboard? Are you using one of those funky ergonomic european keyboards where the letters are moved all around? Azerty? Dvorak? Is your code based on alternate key locations that correspond to these goofy keyboards?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Sunday, November 20, 2005 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a standard keyboard the only relevant keyboard? (Qwerty keyboard?) NO!Are you using an alphabetical keyboard? Are you using one of those funky ergonomic european keyboards where the letters are moved all around? Azerty? Dvorak? THIS ONE! Is your code based on alternate key locations that correspond to these goofy keyboards? YUP! Good work!

*************SPOILER***************

To answer questions, I looked to see what time the question was posted at. Whatever the hour was, I counted in that many characters, including punctuation but not spaces. Whatever that character was, an "e" for example, I figured out how it would translate from QWERTY to Dvorak. An "e" on the Qwerty layout is in the same location as the "." on the Dvorak layout. That character would begin my answer. Great work, and kudos especially to Lisa, who did most of the work on this. Thanks for sticking with it.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: