[tigger32382] Egads! Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [tigger32382] Egads! « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 28, 2005Jennifer22 10-28-05  12:33 pm
Archive through November 02, 2005Tim A. Dowd22 11-02-05  12:54 am
Archive through November 09, 2005Tim A. Dowd22 11-09-05  6:41 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What, because of my vasty knowledge of Completely Useless Stuff™? It's highly overrated.

With regard to the purple, is it relevant that you were in Seville? Rossini relevant? Halloween? no to all, including the question in italics :)

Were the flowers stationary? well, they were stationary within their pot, which was being carried by someone else, but all irr... Did they appear normal? yes Did they seem out-of-place? no

Figaro, Figaro....

Did you have to look twice to ensure the friars weren't real (doesn't seem likely)? no
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they (the flowers) at eye-level? Above eye-level? Were they moving interestingly? Weather/atmospheric conditions relevant? Light/lighting?

Did any particular thing happen which caused you to look at where the flowers happened to be?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they (the flowers) at eye-level? Above eye-level? Were they moving interestingly? Weather/atmospheric conditions relevant? Light/lighting? nope. they were purple. there is one other relevant fact, but it is not intrinsic to the flowers themselves, if that makes sense...?

Did any particular thing happen which caused you to look at where the flowers happened to be? no, but explore along this track
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was there a label, etc. attached to the flowers? to the flower container? that caught your attention? Was the person? carrying the flower(pot?) wearing a uniform of sorts, bearing the name of a company you recognized? were looking for?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was there a label, etc. attached to the flowers? to the flower container? that caught your attention? Was the person? carrying the flower(pot?) wearing a uniform of sorts, bearing the name of a company you recognized? were looking for? no to all. the ONLY relevant thing about the flowers themselves is that they were purple.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so.... the flowers caught your attention, which placed your focus of attention in a place where ______________ caught your attention as well?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

so.... the flowers caught your attention, which placed your focus of attention in a place where the friars __ caught your attention as well? Yes, but why did the flowers catch my attention? It's because they were purple, we've established that, but there was some other relevant circumstance that made me notice them.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had these flowers been dyed a brilliant purple? Were these flowers the sort of flower that weren't supposed to be purple? Or at least, not THAT color purple?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had these flowers been dyed a brilliant purple? Were these flowers the sort of flower that weren't supposed to be purple? Or at least, not THAT color purple? No. What made me notice the purple flowers did not have anything to do with the flowers themselves. Something happened that put me on the lookout for any purple flowers
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had somebody sent you a message to keep an eye out for purple flowers? Was there a sign? An advertisement?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 21, 2005 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Had somebody sent you a message to keep an eye out for purple flowers? Was there a sign? An advertisement? no
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you looking for purple flowers before you saw them initially? Or did seeing them start you looking for them? Had anyone said anything to you about the color purple prior to this event? Did someone point out the purple flowers to you at the time?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were you looking for purple flowers before you saw them initially? Or did seeing them start you looking for them? Had anyone said anything to you about the color purple prior to this event? Yes... now we are on the right track... what were we talking about (this is the part that I think you especially will be good as solving) Did someone point out the purple flowers to you at the time? I think I noticed them first, but anyone in our group might have - we all would have been equally amused by them
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fear your faith in my abilities might be sadly misplaced, especially seeing as I'm colorblind...

Barney relevant? Smurfs? Flaming baby heads? Is there some relevant tradition/issue with regard to purple in Seville? Spain? Europe? Western culture?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 5:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I fear your faith in my abilities might be sadly misplaced, especially seeing as I'm colorblind... I assure you my faith is not misplaced. Color just happened to become important, remember, friars did too... I direct you to comments you made in the Ten-Year Track puzzle as well as Ctrl+Alt+Del

Barney relevant? Smurfs? Flaming baby heads? Is there some relevant tradition/issue with regard to purple in Seville? Spain? Europe? Western culture?no. flaming baby heads? i'm terrified!
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, you just think you're terrified: Flame on!

What, is an old joke relevant? Silly pun? Play-on-words kind of thing?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What, is an old joke relevant? Silly pun? Play-on-words kind of thing? Absolutely!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

********RECAP**********

You have figured out so far that because of some purple flowers, I noticed some people that were dressed up like friars. I was in Spain at the time and out with a few of my friends. The only relevant thing about the flowers is that they were purple. It was Halloween at the time. Some sort of old joke/silly pun/play on words is relevant to this situation. What you still need to figure out is how the old joke/pun/play on words is relevant and why I noticed the purple flowers and especially the friars.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater relevant?

What about a one-eyed one-horned frying purple people eater?

red+blue = purple relevant?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is a one-eyed one-horned flying purple people eater relevant?

What about a one-eyed one-horned frying purple people eater?

red+blue = purple relevant? no to all
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm not sure whether to be pleased or dismayed that you'd expect me to pick up on a pun...

Er..."Out of the firing pan, into the..."

Shaggy-dog type thing like that?

Was the word "purple" part of the joke-thing? Was "friar" part of another one? If you'd thought of them as monks would it still work?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er..."Out of the firing pan, into the..."

Shaggy-dog type thing like that?

Was the word "purple" part of the joke-thing? Yes, and even more specifically... Was "friar" part of another one? YES! If you'd thought of them as monks would it still work? No

And be pleased... many of my very good friends are punsters, so I don't see it as a bad thing
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see..."Let your pages do the walking through the yellow fingers"...no..."You silly rabbi, kicks are for Trids!"...no..."That's the beer that made Mel Famous walk me."...no..."Violation of the Mann act--taking a gull across a straight lion for immortal porpoises."...no...I don't think I know these two.

So the word "purple" formed a part of the punchline to a joke that was a sort of spoonerised cliche, right? Ditto for "friar"?
Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anything to do with rhyming? sounds-like? do we have to think of a word that sounds like purple? how about friar?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see..."Let your pages do the walking through the yellow fingers"...no..."You silly rabbi, kicks are for Trids!"...no..."That's the beer that made Mel Famous walk me."...no..."Violation of the Mann act--taking a gull across a straight lion for immortal porpoises."...no...I don't think I know these two.

So the word "purple" formed a part of the punchline to a joke that was a sort of spoonerised cliche, right? almost... purple figured prominently in the story/joke though Ditto for "friar"? this one is like what you described - spoonerised cliche

anything to do with rhyming? sounds-like? do we have to think of a word that sounds like purple? purple was the real word how about friar? friar was the real word in the joke but was funny because of how it resembled a different word
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I finally remembered a punchline using friars, but I couldn't remember the joke, so I googled for the last two words of the punchline to confirm. I'd have remembered sooner if you'd worn your ranger hat. :O

Was purple in the punchline of the other joke? Part of the story? Was it describing a person? Place? Thing? Animal? Dinosaur?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Any shipwrecks involved?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was purple in the punchline of the other joke? Part of the story? this one Was it describing a person? Place? Thing? this one -don't make this too hard on yourself - what was it describing (you already know!) Animal? Dinosaur?

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 08:06 pm:

Any shipwrecks involved? nope
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, so much for the shipwrecked sailor who wakes up on an island and starts noticing that everything is purple (the sand, the trees etc.)--when he looks down at himself he realizes that he's turning purple too, and exclaims "Oh no! I think I've been marooned!"

So the first joke featured a purple flower? And the combination of flowers and friars from the second joke along with the actual flowers made you notice the friars in particular?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Out of the friar and into the frying pan? Did that already get nixed? Smokey says: Only you can prevent Florist Friars? My Friar Maiden?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, so much for the shipwrecked sailor who wakes up on an island and starts noticing that everything is purple (the sand, the trees etc.)--when he looks down at himself he realizes that he's turning purple too, and exclaims "Oh no! I think I've been marooned!"

So the first joke featured a purple flower? yup And the combination of flowers and friars from the second joke along with the actual flowers made you notice the friars in particular? something like this

By Lisa (Dlcygnet) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 07:10 pm:

Out of the friar and into the frying pan? Did that already get nixed? Smokey says: Only you can prevent Florist Friars? This one! My Friar Maiden?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My guess is the penultimate one you listed.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was a little too slow, obviously.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

]i{OH! Wait... isn't there some joke about a guy named Hugh beating up some monks? Is that the one? I sense $poiler...}
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The punchline is "Only Hugh can prevent florist friars." but that's only the second joke--I was trying to figure out the first one.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 4:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it helps, the first one falls somewhere in between the category of joke and "really really annoying story" ... You can keep guessing if you want, or I can $poil it, since you've basically done all of the legwork on this one.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really really annoying story? As annoying as the story of the purple flab?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Really really annoying story? As annoying as the story of the purple flab? It is extremely annoying, but I don't know the story of the purple flab.

Sorry I was away for so long - home for Christmas
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey! I thought puzzles only went here when the host abandoned them... oh well.

You guys got close enough, I will just spoil this now...

**********SPOILER****************

If it weren't for the purple flowers, I wouldn't have noticed them.

This story occurred when I was studying abroad in Sevilla. My friends and I went out for Halloween and were sitting having a drink outside. We were telling each other stories, jokes, and puns. One of the first was a long, involved story about purple flowers, of the variety where the whole story is about how terrible purple flowers are but you never know why, and just as you're about to learn, the person who will tell you gets hit by a bus. (A story told only for the purpose of being annoying). Right as we told that story, a man walked by carrying a humongous pot of purple flowers. We found the coincidence amusing. Well, then we started in on the pun about Hugh and only Hugh preventing florist friars. Just then, a person dressed in a Halloween costume as a friar walked by. Combined with the first coincidence, this one was almost too much to take!

Thanks especially to Tim.

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You're welcome. :O Sorry I couldn't think of other stuff to ask (been a little busy lately).

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: