Archive through October 25, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - October 2005 » [Haenlomal] Prism (Lateral Maze) » Archive through October 25, 2005 « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And here's another lateral maze! This one should be simpler than the last one I ran, so hopefully it'll be less taxing on both the players and the host... :)

Title: Prism

Difficulty: Moderate to Hard

Type: Lateral Maze

Story:
Once again, poor Bob finds himself trapped in a lateral maze. While he was on his way to work, he suddenly blacked out. When he woke up, he found himself in a non-descript room... (the room description will be given in the next post to separate puzzle instructions from the actual puzzle itself)

To Solve:
While Bob's pretty intelligent, and can follow almost any direction if they're clear enough, he still needs your help to get out! Figure out the rules of the lateral maze, and help Bob escape!

Rules:
-- I will be role-playing the person of Bob. So when posting commands, address them as if you were addressing Bob. Fortunately, this version of Bob should be less obnoxious than the last version, so our nerves should be in better shape. :)
-- Remember, you only sense what Bob can sense! Bob will report anything he senses using bold text
-- Please keep the amount of commands to a reasonable number
-- If you need to talk to me as the host, please post your question in italics. If there is a need for me to respond out of character, I will do so in bold italics.
-- Most of all, have fun. :) The learning curve can be steep, but this is meant to be a fun exercise, so just roll with it. :)

Good luck!
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...ugh. That certainly didn't feel too good! I wonder why I blacked out like that!

Wait a minute...I'm no longer walking down the street to my office! I seem to be in some sort of strange room. Funny, I don't see any light source, but there's plenty of light for me to see. The walls are a white, but not blindingly so. Almost reminds me of the time I got trapped in...

OH NO! I'm trapped in another on of these lateral mazes!! Someone please help me!!! I can't believe that this is happening to me again!!!

Ok, calm down, Bob...think. What do you see? Nothing....well, wait, alonside one wall are three...I dunno what, I think they are force fields of some sort. The one on the left glows blue, the one in the middle glows yellow, and the one to the right glows red. The floor and ceiling seems to be made of the same white stuff that the wall is made off. I can't see any switches or entrances or exits. And I can't make anything out beyond the force fields either! Someone please help me!!!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 5:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, Bob, are you wearing shoes?
Do you have anything in your pockets?
Are you wearing a belt?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bob, try walking through the blue force field.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye724

Well, Ixoye, I'm wearing a white shirt and blue jeans and a pair of running shoes. I'm also wearing undergarments, but, um, I hope you don't want me to describe those for you! No belt, though...the jeans are too tight as it is!

I have my wallet in my pocket...wait a minute. It's gone!!! WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY WALLET?! All my ID is there! I'm doomed...doomed!!!

But hang on a minute...there's something else in place of my wallet. It's...it's a compass of some sort. According to this compass, the three force fields I see are on the northern wall.

Tigger32382

Try walking through....those dangerous looking force fields?! Are you sure? Well, ok...my skin feels kinda cold and tingly as I step through it!

Well, I'm in another room, like the last one. Except...there's another blue force field in the north wall, a yellow force field on the west wall, and a red force field on the east wall. And on the south wall, where I came from, there is....absolutely nothing!!!! On no!!! Not another one of those one way exits!!! :( I'm going to die in here, ain't I? :( :(
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no, you're going to be okay! go through the blue force field again
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, Bob, try and calm down :)

Walk through the yellow force field on the west wall. Describe what you see and then, if you can, walk back east.
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Mixed posts :)

Do what Jennifer says first, describe your surroundings, then walk south if you can. Either way, then walk through any yellow force field you see.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*sniff* *sniff* I really hope that you're right. Anyway, I'll try again --

OOOOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!! That HURTS!!! It's like walking into an eletrified wall! I'm NOT doing that again! Now what? :(
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lol this getting confusing :D

(If you haven't already followed my previous instruction by the time I post this): Walk through the yellow force field.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And mixed replies! Ah well

Walk through the yellow force field? Are you sure that I won't get zapped? Well, here goes nothing....

....And I made it!!! :) I'm in another room now, and it looks just like the other rooms I've been in. But in this room, there are blue force fields on the north and west walls, and a yellow force field on the east wall -- I assume I just stepped through that one. Still nothing on the south wall, though.

What should I do now?
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk through the north blue force field, describe, then return south if possible. If you made it back south, step through the west force field.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Walk north through t-the b-blue force field?! After what happened the last time?! Sigh, I must be mad, but here goes nothing....

....and yay! I'm not zapped this time! :):) I'm in another room. This one has yellow force fields on the north and the west, a red force field to the east, and a blue force field to the south -- the one I just stepped through.

Going back agai--OWWWWWWWWW!!!!! That blue force field is mean!!! :( :( Please don't make me step through anymore blue force fields!!! :(
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'll try not to :). So shall I assume that stepping south slammed you into an electric wall?

If so, kindly step through the east-bound red force field, and describe what you see :)
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yeah, stepping south, trying to go through the blue force field, gave me a big shock! I hope your suggestion with the red force field gives me better luck...

...and well, another room, ho hum. Red force field to the west, blue force field *cringe* to the south, and yellow force field to the east. But strange...nothing to the north in this room! What do you make of that?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try going through the yellow field
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe that we're at the top of the prism? :)

Firstly, try and go back through the red force field. If that works, go back through it to the room you're currently in. Either way, then step through the yellow force field to the east, then try and go back west.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or perhaps try this - take off one of your shoes and toss it at the (let's pick one) yellow force field. That way you'll at least know if it's a shocker or a portal. Any luck?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woah, so many different suggestions! I think I'll try Ed's suggestion of going through back through the red force field first before trying the yellow one! Or better still, I'll take Ixoye's suggestion and toss one of my shoes at it! Here goes nothing...

Wow! I'm glad I tossed my shoe at it! The red force field bounced my shoe with a loud zapping noise! I'm certainly NOT going through that! I'm picking up my shoe and going through the yellow force field now...

...And I'm in another room. There's a yellow force field to the west, which is where I came from. There are also two of those dreaded blue force fields, one to the south, the other to the east. There's nothing to the north.

I'm repeating that shoe trick on the yellow force field now, and -- WATCH OUT! My goodness, I'm SO glad that you suggested that Ixoye. :) I think my days of getting shocked to death are over! So which blue force field should I try now?

As an aside, players are encouraged to discuss strategies freely with each other, and confer amongst themselves on an appropriate course of action before instructing Bob. Such communication should be made in italics.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it sounds to me like he gets zapped whenever he tries to pass back through a door he already came through. i don't think he's ever gotten zapped the first time through.

Bob, let's try going south to see if these rooms connect up "right." you may throw your shoe first if you wish.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey Bob, from now on, unless we specify otherwise, assume that we want you to test a door with your shoe before going through it.

Whichever room you find yourself in, throw your shoe at one of the exits. If it goes through, go after it and get it. If it doesn't throw your other shoe at the same exit, and see what happens.
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, October 25, 2005 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, I'm throwing the shoe first before heading through the blue force field to the south.

Hmm...the shoes sails right through! So I'm guessing it's safe, so here I go!

Well, it really seems like all these rooms are looking at the same, except for the locations of the coloured force fields. I'll let you know if something is out of place, like my shoe that's currently sitting the middle of the room. Let me pick that up...there!

Let's see now...blue force field behind me to the north, a red force field to the west, a yellow force field to the east, and nothing behind me.

I don't know which of the new exits I should throw my shoe through, so I'll just try to throw my shoe back at the blue force field -- and yep, it bounced back at me! Guess I won't be going through that force field!

Please give me a more specific direction as to which exit to try my shoe on, and I'll try it.