[Ix] No Java For Me, Thanks Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Ix] No Java For Me, Thanks « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 02, 2005Jennifer22 11-02-05  9:22 pm
Archive through November 04, 2005Vesica22 11-04-05  12:48 am
Archive through November 07, 2005Jennifer22 11-07-05  3:34 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is don less sure that al can do the thing than bob and carl? No, not the case
is al being trained? Yes-ish, you're on the right track for sure...
or monitored for some reason? Yes!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they in jail? is al the youngest/newest member of the group? has al done something to lose don's trust?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they in jail? No
is al the youngest/newest member of the group? has al done something to lose don's trust? No to both
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does al know what to do with the coffee without don's guidance? has al just switched over from a different group or unit into this one? is he up for performance review? will he perform his job well? are al and don related? does don like al?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does al know what to do with the coffee without don's guidance? good q - no, but he has somewhat of an idea
has al just switched over from a different group or unit into this one? No, F/A
is he up for performance review? Not this type of thing, but the right idea
will he perform Maybe, it remains to be be seen...
his job FA
well? He hopes that he will!
are al and don related? No, not in any way
does don like al? Don probably feels indifferent toward Al
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this not at the workplace? is it a recreational group? have they all signed on for a study of some kind? are they test participants? are they all living in a particular setting together?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is this not at the workplace? It is at a workplace, but this hasn't been fully explored yet...
is it a recreational group? No
have they all signed on for a study of some kind? Well yes-ish, but 'study' is not really the best word
are they test participants? YES, of a kind
are they all living in a particular setting together? No
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 8:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay, are they undergoing psychological tests? are they patients somewhere? is don administering the test? is the age of al, bob, and carl relevant? is al the one being "tested" right now? are bob and carl practicing? when bob and carl go do the thing with the coffee, is don watching them too?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay, are they undergoing psychological tests? No
are they patients somewhere? No
is don administering the test? YES
is the age of al, bob, and carl relevant? YES
is al the one being "tested" right now? Yes
are bob and carl practicing? No
when bob and carl go do the thing with the coffee, is don watching them too? Yes
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they young? teenagers? middle age? adults? elderly? are they being tested for their mental skills? for some physical ability?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they young? YES, and they are...
teenagers? YES
middle age? adults? This description fits ONLY ONE of the people
elderly? Could be, but only ONE of them could be this
are they being tested for their mental skills? Somewhat, but mostly...for some physical ability? ...yes, mainly this
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i assume don is the older person?... well that explains why they others don't like coffee! :) do they have to balance the cup of coffee? walk with the cup of coffee on their head? is it important that they don't spill the coffee? is the reason they are being tested important? is this for some drug thing? for entrance to a special program, academy, or school? something related to driving? something related to athletics?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i assume don is the older person? Yes...well that explains why they others don't like coffee! Hey, I drank lots of coffee in my teenage days...
do they have to balance the cup of coffee? Not exactly, but this is somewhat of an element in what they have to do
walk with the cup of coffee on their head? No
is it important that they don't spill the coffee? YES
is the reason they are being tested important? Yes, to them it is
is this for some drug thing? No...
for entrance to yes...
a special program, academy, or school? not this sort of thing
something related to driving? YES
something related to athletics? No

Now we're so close it's scary...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they trying for their drivers license? do they have to stop the car gently? so that the coffee doesn't spill? or does the coffee get set on a table or something, and they have to stop the car as close to it as they can without knocking it over?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

are they trying for their drivers license? YES = Bingo!
do they have to stop the car gently? Yes
so that the coffee doesn't spill? YES
or does the coffee get set on a table or something, and they have to stop the car as close to it as they can without knocking it over? No, you've nailed it!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

***SPOILER***

Don is a hard-nosed driving instructor, who is somewhat famous for giving driving exams which require young drivers to operate the car around curves and stop/start so gently that they do not spill any coffee which is in a cup sitting in the car. Don enjoys sipping his coffee during the exam, and makes it clear that he doesn't want any of HIS coffee spilled on him either. These 3 kids realize what they're up for when they see Don approach with the coffee, and they don't feel much like chatting after the nervousness sets in...

Nice work by Jenn plugging away at the end and getting it solved! I got the idea for this puzzle from the silly movie 'License to Drive' - the driving instructor used this method (slight variation, he didn't make the students carry any coffee) with his students, and it made them sweat.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think I remember that one! Didn't one of the guys cause the cup to fall? Fortunately, the cup was empty by then?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yup--it was one of the Corey's--I can't remember which one. Not Feldman, the other one. Haim? Something like that. I recognized the device just now but I couldn't remember the name of the movie.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fantastic puzzle! Thanks so much! You really had me baffled for so long.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 08, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Glad you enjoyed it.

The scene that you guys are talking about is where Corey Haim takes the driving test with the grumpy instructor with his coffee cup. Corey manages to do well, even stopping on a hill and starting up again. He ends up pulling back into the parking lot of the license office and has to slam on brakes when someone runs out in front of him, but by the the instructor has finished his coffee. So...Corey passes the test and makes a goofy face for the picture on his license.
Vesica (Vesica)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That was quite a stumper. I never would have gotten there. But at least I contributed something - such darn clever names! ;)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 09, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

;) Every little bit helps

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: