Archive through November 07, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [DLcygnet] How about a little personal space? » Archive through November 07, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dope?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

dope? Nope.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Recap:

Question:
I've just encountered the perfect christmas gift for a couple people in my life. And quite possibly a couple people in your life too. What is it?

What we know about the item:
It's a Baseball cap with one 4-letter word on it. No other logos or pictures.

What we know about the word:
It's the name of the company that handed out the hat.
It's the name of the founder of the company.
The word is also an adjective in English.
It's a very common word.
It's funny because it labels the person wearing the hat.
It can be used in at least 11 different ways according to dictionary.com
One of the meanings describes a feeling. (most common)
Another meaning could reflect somewhat badly on the person it describes.
It's not a swear word.

What we know about the company:
They're a tech company.
They're in the states, but based in Germany.
They aren't very big.
This is not the likely way you'll figure out the word.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And it is the correct spelling of the word in English, not a homonym, right?

Would the negative moral reflection have to do with sexuality? Work ethic? Honesty/integrity? Family values? Selfishness?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Friday, November 04, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And it is the correct spelling of the word in English, not a homonym, right? Correct.

Would the negative moral reflection have to do with sexuality? Could. Work ethic? No. Honesty/integrity? Not directly. Family values? Could. Selfishness? No.
Steve Wort (Wizardofnz)
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 7:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cold?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Sunday, November 06, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a genderless term (typically applied to both men and women)?

I remember a time one of my users was nearby and she couldn't get into the system, so she asked me to check. I asked her id (which did not contain her name) and looked in the database--turns out her last name was Slutts. I was somewhat flumoxed at that point, as I didn't want to ask if she was...well, I suppose you get the picture. I believe I ended up pointing at the screen and saying "Is this you?" (I don't suppose it was the first time she'd run across that situation, but it was new to me). Maybe I should've saved that one for a puzzle...
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cold? No. But getting warmer. *chuckles*

Is it a genderless term (typically applied to both men and women)? Yes.

I remember a time one of my users was nearby and she couldn't get into the system, so she asked me to check. I asked her id (which did not contain her name) and looked in the database--turns out her last name was Slutts. I was somewhat flumoxed at that point, as I didn't want to ask if she was...well, I suppose you get the picture. I believe I ended up pointing at the screen and saying "Is this you?" (I don't suppose it was the first time she'd run across that situation, but it was new to me). Maybe I should've saved that one for a puzzle... Nothing that crude here.
Annelies (Annls)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cool?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

rich? warm?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

cool? No.

rich? warm? No and No.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the hat then, would appear to describe the person wearing it (if the observer didn't know about the tech company)?

Would the word make the person appear to be:
some kind of criminal?
a type of hero?
likeable?
someone to be feared?
someone who doesn't care about their own health?
self-centered/snobbish?
very smart?
very stupid?

The word, when used as an adjective, describes someone's -
body size? height? level on intelligence? amount of desire to the opposite sex? degree of physical fitness? social status? something else?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the hat then, would appear to describe the person wearing it (if the observer didn't know about the tech company)? Yes.

Would the word make the person appear to be:
some kind of criminal? No.
a type of hero? No.
likeable? Not sure. Depends on personal bias.
someone to be feared? Not likely. Possibly.
someone who doesn't care about their own health? Yope. This is on the right track.
self-centered/snobbish? No.
very smart? No.
very stupid? No.

The word, when used as an adjective, describes someone's -
body size? height? level on intelligence? amount of desire to the opposite sex? degree of physical fitness? THISish. social status? something else? And this.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

something like lazy? gimp?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

something like lazy? No. gimp? Closer.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

weak?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

weak? Closer.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lame?

Crip?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lame? No.

Crip? No.

Getting colder.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

pale? is it a synonym for weak? puny?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does it refer to some type of disability? handicap? a condition that someone is born with? a learned behavior? a negative behavior that someone would pick up by watching others? an annoying habit?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 07, 2005 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just had another thought...does the word refer to a kind of disease or sickness? something that someone with a careless type of lifestyle would have? or does it possibly refer to some kind of drug, or illegal substance?