Archive through November 10, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #1 » Archive through November 10, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Here's a puzzle that I made up, somewhat inspired by the 'Lateral Maze' puzzle that was posted here not too long ago. I decided to add the "#1" to the title in case there happens to be enough enjoyment out of this one to spark a sequel.

EXPLANATION:
This puzzle is made up of a series of 'mini puzzles'. Your job is to help Traveller (or 'Trav' for short) through several rooms, each of which contain a problem that must be solved in order to continue to the next room.

As the puzzle begins and progresses, Trav will enter each room and describe exactly what he sees. You may then begin asking 'Yes' or 'No' questions to Trav in order to gain more knowledge about the room and the problem that needs to be solved. Example:

"I'm in a small rectangular room with only one door. There are hundreds of brass keys scattered around on the floor."

Valid questions - "Do the brass keys look like normal brass keys?"
"Does the door have a keyhole?"
"If so, does it appear that the keyhole would accept any of the brass keys?"

You may also give Trav direct commands to help him solve the problems, for instance -

"Pick up the key closest to you"
"Push on the door"

Trav will provide you with the results of your commands.

Trav may encounter other people/living things in the rooms which you may want him to interact with. If Trav sees anything like this he'll describe them as well. If you want Trav to talk to anyone/anything, give it a try, but keep in mind that they may operate only under the guidelines of lateral puzzle questions.

That's it! I'll serve as moderator and may step in if it looks as if Trav is hopelessly doomed...good luck!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: "I'm about to enter the first room, and I hope someone will give me some aid in figuring out how to move on to the next one. Here I go...

Ok, I have entered the first room, and the door closed behind me as soon as I got in. This room is round, about twenty feet across, with stone walls. The floor is covered with straw, and the only light in here is provided by a window that is about twelve feet up from the floor. I also noticed a skeleton lying against the wall on one side of the room, I hope he wasn't the last person to try this! What should I do now?"
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This sounds like fun! Trav, describe what you see.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav, move the straw from the ground and tell me what you see under it.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer: This sounds like fun!
Trav: For you maybe - I'm somewhat nervous, but I'm counting on the brilliant minds that are likely to assist me.

Jennifer: Trav, describe what you see.
Trav: Hmmm, well it's pretty much like I described above. The room is completely round, the only thing I see on the wall is the door through which I entered and the window, which is roughly on the opposite side of where the door is. Other than the skeleton there do not appear to be any objects anywhere.

Jennifer: Trav, move the straw from the ground and tell me what you see under it.
Trav: Ok, I'll try that (moves some straw). Below the straw appears to be just a dirt floor.
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Has the room other doors than the one through which you entered?
Does the door through which you entered have a knob at your side? Would it be possible to go back through this door?
Is the window above open? Is beyond the window another room? the outside world?
Is the window rectangular? round?
Does it look like if really a person died in this room? or is it more likely that the skeleton was brought there?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell if any of the blocks are loose in the wall, that might hide a secret passageway or something?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jens: Has the room other doors than the one through which you entered? Trav: No
Does the door through which you entered have a knob at your side? Trav: No
Would it be possible to go back through this door? Trav: No
Is the window above open? Trav: Yes, it's actually carved out of the wall without any way to open or close it
Is beyond the window another room? Trav: Not likely
the outside world? Trav: Yes, sunlight is coming in from the window to light the room
Is the window rectangular? Trav: Yes
Does it look like if really a person died in this room? or is it more likely that the skeleton was brought there? Trav: I don't know, but all bones appear to be present and none appear to be broken

Lewis: Can you tell if any of the blocks are loose in the wall, that might hide a secret passageway or something? Trav: No, the blocks are very large and all appear to be securely in place.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try talking to the skeleton and see if there is any ghosts present... ask him "do you know the way out of here"
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find out the material of which the floor is made.
Is the floor wet?
Are traces of straw on or around the window sill? could it be possible that the straw was thrown in through the window?
When you came in, did the straw cover the skeleton? or was, on the contrary, the skeleton lying on top of the straw?
Look more carefully at the straw. Is it ordinary wheat or rye straw?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try talking to the skeleton and see if there is any ghosts present... ask him "do you know the way out of here"
Trav: Ok, I'll try that (asks the skeleton). Hmm...I don't get any response whatsoever from the pile of bones.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cut a piece of straw in half, put the two halves together to make a (w)hole and climb through?

Anything on the ceiling? Anything beneath the dirt? Is the door behind you really locked? Can you reach the window and escape that way? Anything of use on the skeleton? (Like a skeleton key?) If you take 6 steps forward from the door, spin around three times, and bark like a dog... how many pancakes does it take to cover a birdcage? Er, I mean, does spinning around quickly reveal any odd markings on the wall?

Man, I'm puny today.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jens: Find out the material of which the floor is made. Trav: Ok, I will look closely (looks at floor). It appears to be completely dirt.
Is the floor wet? Trav: No, a bit damp maybe but not wet.
Are traces of straw on or around the window sill?
Trav: No
could it be possible that the straw was thrown in through the window? Trav: Could be, I am not sure.
When you came in, did the straw cover the skeleton? or was, on the contrary, the skeleton lying on top of the straw? Trav: The skeleton has always been lying on top of the straw.
Ixoye: Good question!
Look more carefully at the straw. Trav: Ok...
Is it ordinary wheat or rye straw? Trav: Yes, that appears to be the case.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Cut a piece of straw in half, put the two halves together to make a (w)hole and climb through? Trav: Interesting little experiment, but that didn't seem to do any good.

Ixoye: A great attempt at a lateral jump, however!

Anything on the ceiling? Trav: No
Anything beneath the dirt? Trav: I don't know
Is the door behind you really locked? Trav: Locked or unlocked, there is no way to open that door
Can you reach the window and escape that way? Trav: Well the bottom edge of the window is twelve feet up, and with my best jump my fingertips are still about 3 feet below the window.
Anything of use on the skeleton? Trav: No, not that I can think of
(Like a skeleton key?) Trav: If only it were that simple
If you take 6 steps forward from the door, spin around three times, and bark like a dog... how many pancakes does it take to cover a birdcage?
Trav: None, because Corn Flakes will not burn underwater
Er, I mean, does spinning around quickly reveal any odd markings on the wall? Trav: No, but it does make me dizzy

Man, I'm puny today. Trav: Don't give up, this is only the first room...
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the floor just soil? I mean, would it be possible to dig a hole under the wall?
Was the straw cut? or are these complete plants with root and ear?
Does the straw have any signs of decay? or is it more or less fresh? (in that case, the skeleton was very likely put there recently, don't you think?)
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does the ceiling look like?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you take all the straw in the room and pile it under the window? if you can get a three foot pile, you ought to be able to jump up and reach.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

also, try knocking on the door to see if someone on the other side will open it for you.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jens: Is the floor just soil? Trav: It appears to be, yes
I mean, would it be possible to dig a hole under the wall? I don't know, I haven't tried that yet...
Was the straw cut? or are these complete plants with root and ear? Trav: Cut straw
Does the straw have any signs of decay? Trav: It's been here a while
or is it more or less fresh? (in that case, the skeleton was very likely put there recently, don't you think?) Trav: Difficult to say how fresh the straw is. As far as the skeleton, the straw beneath it looks to be decayed, quite old.

Rachel: What does the ceiling look like?
Trav: Very hard to see - it is extremely high up, very little light up there. From what I can see it is smooth stone.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer: can you take all the straw in the room and pile it under the window? Trav: I will try (piles up the straw). Hmm - the pile amounts to barely three inches, and even compresses when I step on it. This does not seem to improve my reach.
if you can get a three foot pile, you ought to be able to jump up and reach. Trav: You are right about that, but I've piled up all the straw and that didn't work...
also, try knocking on the door to see if someone on the other side will open it for you.
Trav: Ok (knock, knock). A muffled voice on the other side says 'You want to quit already? You're on the right track to getting out of this room!'
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

if my other two suggestions don't work, see how loose the dirt is and if you can dig it. if you can dig it, make the hole next to where the window is, and put the extra, loose dirt right under the window to give you some extra height.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 10, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe you could also use the bones to make a pile towards that window? gross, but hey, we're desperate!