[Haenlomal] Dramatic Irony Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Haenlomal] Dramatic Irony « Previous Next »

Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This should be a very quick one. If you think you know it, feel free to $poil it without sending me an e-mail!

Title: Dramatic Irony

Difficulty: Very easy

Type: Based on Joke

Story:
"He isn't. I am. You are!"

To Solve:
What's going on here?

Specialized Knowledge needed:
None needed

Good luck!
Paul S (Psdubl07)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone asked, "Is he? Are you? Am I?"
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Someone asked, "Is he? Are you? Am I?" Nice try, but nothing so prosaic. This is the Lateral Puzzles Forum, after all. :)
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"If so-and-so were here, I wouldn't be in trouble for what I just did/said." ?
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Speaker young? old? adult? kid?
Spoken to Singular? plural? young? old? adult? kid?
"Daddy lets me not eat my beans"?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rabrab

"If so-and-so were here, I wouldn't be in trouble for what I just did/said." ? Not quite, but this isn't far from the right forest...

Myth

Speaker young? old? adult? kid? Traditionally an older male, though there is nothing that says that it can't be anything else. Can't be a kid, though.
Spoken to Singular? plural? young? old? adult? kid? One teenager or adult, gender irrelevant. Let's say male adult for story's sake.
"Daddy lets me not eat my beans"? Sorry, no. :)
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A commercial?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 6:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A commercial? No
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"If Biff were here, I wouldn't have to do it."
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"If Biff were here, I wouldn't have to do it." Not this either, but again, this isn't far from the right forest.

Instead of going for the quick kills, you guys might want to consider doing a little bit of spadework first.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check your email, please
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well yeah, but a quick kill on one of your puzzles is such a rarity that you can't really blame us for trying...

The speaker: a person of authority? Teacher? police officer? parent? boss?

Th "he" who isn't:
He isn't here?
isn't in charge?
isn't making a decision?

Why it's important that "he isn't": He would overrule the speaker? The speaker wouldn't be there at all? He would protect the younger person from the speaker?

"You are.": in trouble? in danger? going to have to comply with what the speaker decides?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woubit

Check your email, please

Checked and replied to. Well done!

Rabrab

Well yeah, but a quick kill on one of your puzzles is such a rarity that you can't really blame us for trying... :) Heh :)

The speaker: a person of authority? Yes Teacher? police officer? parent? boss? No to the rest, though "police officer" is roughly in the right neighbourhood.

Th "he" who isn't:
He isn't here? This one
isn't in charge?
isn't making a decision?

Why it's important that "he isn't": He would overrule the speaker? This one The speaker wouldn't be there at all? He would protect the younger person from the speaker?

"You are.": in trouble? This is closest in danger? going to have to comply with what the speaker decides?
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, then, the younger man ("You") is sort of in trouble with some sort of law enforcement, represented by the older man ("I").

If a more senior? higher ranking? person were there, he ("He") would overrule "I" and "You" wouldn't be in trouble?

Did I get that parsed out right?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 5:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, then, the younger man ("You") is sort of in trouble with some sort of law enforcement, represented by the older man ("I"). Yes

If a more senior? higher ranking? Senior and higher ranking isn't really an accurate description for the "He", but this is on the right track. Beware potential FA, though. person were there, he ("He") would overrule "I" and "You" wouldn't be in trouble? The basic idea is correct, yes, though overrule may not be the right term to use here.

Did I get that parsed out right? See above

Solid progress made here
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is "He" a human being?
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ah. Then is "He" someone who holds a different but related position to "I"? like a judge to a cop? or the mayor to a building inspector, or 'my big brother the Marine' to a bully?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Bodo

Is "He" a human being? NO...good question!

Rabrab

Ah. Then is "He" someone who holds a different but related position to "I"? No like a judge to a cop? or the mayor to a building inspector, or 'my big brother the Marine' to a bully? So no to the rest as well -- see the answer to Tim's question for some inspiration. :)
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you normally spell "He" with a capital H even if it wasn't the first word in the sentence?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Sunday, November 13, 2005 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Would you normally spell "He" with a capital H even if it wasn't the first word in the sentence? Most people would, yes.
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So "He" is God? Jesus?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So "He" is God? This one Jesus?
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the puzzle statement is a response to the younger man making a statement to the older man that began: "If God were here, you..."

"I":
wouldn't do something he's about to do?
wouldn't have done something that he's already done?
wouldn't be able to do something?
wouldn't want to do something?
wouldn't need to do something?
wouldn't be permitted to do something?

Same list of questions, but replace 'do' with 'say', please?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So the puzzle statement is a response to the younger man making a statement to the older man that began: "If God were here, you..." Actually, this is a FA

"I":
wouldn't do something he's about to do?
wouldn't have done something that he's already done?
wouldn't be able to do something?
wouldn't want to do something?
wouldn't need to do something?
wouldn't be permitted to do something?

Same list of questions, but replace 'do' with 'say', please? Sorry, none of them are close, even if we take the FA into consideration. :(
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He isn't = God isn't here?
I am = A judge speaking? Somebody else of legal authority? A doctor? Are they handing out bad news? Good news?
You are = Somebody else who is in trouble or in some sort of bind?

Court scenario:
"Only God shall be my judge!"
"Well God isn't here. I AM. And I pronounce you guilty."

Hospital Scenario:
"God will save me. I won't die."
"God isn't here. I am. And yes, you are."
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He isn't = God isn't here? Yes
I am = A judge speaking? This one -- good question! Somebody else of legal authority? A doctor? Are they handing out bad news? Good news?
You are = Somebody else who is in trouble or in some sort of bind? Yes, and...

Court scenario:
"Only God shall be my judge!"
"Well God isn't here. I AM. And I pronounce you guilty." This is VERY close! Just change things a teeny tiny bit, and you've solved this puzzle!

Hospital Scenario:
"God will save me. I won't die."
"God isn't here. I am. And yes, you are." It's the court scenario -- work on that one. :)
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOOOPER ALERT:

He isn't = God isn't here? Yes

Sorry, that should have been a "No"
Paul S (Psdubl07)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"If God was here, he'd tell you I'm not guilty!"?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"If God was here, he'd tell you I'm not guilty!"? This too is very close. But read my blooper alert -- the statement "He isn't" was not a reference to God not being there.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So "He" is God? This one

Is the above still true?

If so...
God isn't the judge?
God isn't going to forgive him?
God isn't going to save him?

God is supposedly going to do something?
God isn't supposedly going to do something?
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So "He" is God? This one

Is the above still true? Yes...the "He" in the sentence is God.

If so...
God isn't the judge? THIS ONE...good question!
God isn't going to forgive him?
God isn't going to save him?

God is supposedly going to do something?
God isn't supposedly going to do something? No to the rest
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something like...

"Let God be my judge, I am not a crook!" ?
Or "As God as my witness, I am not a crook!" ?

If not...
Was the judge responding to the defendant? The lawyer? A witness? The plaintiff?
Do we need to figure out the exact case? Or judge? (Sounds kinda like Judge Judy?)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"Well God isn't here. I AM. And I say you are guilty."
Haenlomal (Haenlomal)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dlcygnet

Something like...

"Let God be my judge, I am not a crook!" ?
Or "As God as my witness, I am not a crook!" ? Both of these are close enough. Well done. :)

If not...
Was the judge responding to the defendant? The lawyer? A witness? The plaintiff?
Do we need to figure out the exact case? Or judge? (Sounds kinda like Judge Judy?)

Lzeiters

"Well God isn't here. I AM. And I say you are guilty." This too is close. But as I indicated before, the "He isn't" isn't a reference to God not being there, but a reference to God not being the judge. Other than that, this is spot on.

Anyway, Lisa has come more than close enough for me to justify posting the....

*************** SPOILER ****************

A man was trying to defend himself in court. He said to the judge:

"As God is my judge, I am an innocent man!"

To which the judge, already having made his decision, replied,

"He isn't (the judge). I am (the judge). (And) You are (guilty)!"

Thanks to all who played this quick puzzle. May future judgements be pronounced in your favour.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: