[Nimue] Star-Crossed Lovers Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Nimue] Star-Crossed Lovers « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 19, 2005Felicia Nimue Ackerm22 11-19-05  7:33 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many other people are relevant? (insert LTPF list of positive integers)
Felicia Nimue Ackerman (Nimue)
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 07:59 pm:

How many other people are relevant? (insert LTPF list of positive integers) it's unclear exactly how many, esp. since there are degrees of relevance. Probably 2 or 3 are most directly relevant
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they your friends? your boyfriend's friends? friends of your families? your fellow students? strangers? other?
Did they do something relevant? say something?

Did your family express their disapproval: to you? to your boyfriend? to his family? to these other relevant people?
Did his family express their disapproval: to him? to you? to your family? to these other relevant people?
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 08:09 pm:

Are they your friends? no your boyfriend's friends? no friends of your families? no| your fellow students? nostrangers? no other? yes
Did they do something relevant? yes say something? yes

Did your family express their disapproval: to you? yes to your boyfriend? no to his family? no to these other relevant people? no
Did his family express their disapproval: to him? yes to you? no to your family? no to these other relevant people? no
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did these other people say something relevant to you? to your family? to your boyfriend? to his family? to each other? to someone else?
Was that what they did? or did they do something else?
Posted on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 08:34 pm:

Did these other people say something relevant to you? no to your family? no to your boyfriend? yes to his family? no to each other? no to someone else? yes
Was that what they did? yes or did they do something else? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these other people representatives of some organisation?
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 9:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By David Burn (Woubit) on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 06:12 pm:

Are these other people representatives of some organisation? Thery're not representatives, but they are all in a certain organization
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A political organisation? religious? financial? medical? legal? educational?
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By David Burn (Woubit) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 06:07 pm:

A political organisation? no religious? no financial? no medical? no legal? no, i.e., not pertaining to the law. It is a legal organizatioin in the sense of not being an illegal one:O:O educational? yes
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they students? teachers? administrators?
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By David Burn (Woubit) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 09:33 pm:

Are they students? no teachers? yesadministrators? yes

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BLOPERRRRRRALLLERRRRRRRTTTTTTT!!By Felicia Nimue Ackerman (Nimue) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 08:41 pm:

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, November 19, 2005 - 08:34 pm:

Did these other people say something relevant to you? no to your family? no to your boyfriend? yes to his family? no to each other? no to someone else? yes The last two anxswers should beyes, no, rather than no, yes
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sooo

We have sorted out that his family disapproved of you because of your jewish heritage? but that factor alone wouldn't have caused a break up? it was that factor together with your parents' disapproval that would have caused a break up? is that just because the two disapprovals together wuld have been too much to handle? or was there another, as yet unfound, reason caused by this combination?

your parents' disapproval - was in some way linked to the boy's position in college? was linked to something that the teachers and administrators said? to him? and to someone else?
did these college staff approve of your relationship? disapprove?

is it relevant whether one or both of your parents were academic staff of somewhere themselves? were they?

are all these phi beta kappa thingies relevant? (If so, I'm stuffed, because I don't know what on earth they are but they're always coming up in American films!)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 10:24 pm:

Sooo

We have sorted out that his family disapproved of you because of your jewish heritage? yes but that factor alone wouldn't have caused a break up? yes it was that factor together with your parents' disapproval that would have caused a break up? no is that just because the two disapprovals together wuld have been too much to handle? no or was there another, as yet unfound, reason caused by this combination? no--When he told me his parents disapproved of our romance & why, I told him the same about my parents. What I told him would have undermined us, regardldess of my parents' ethnicity or his parents' attitude toward it

your parents' disapproval - was in some way linked to the boy's position in college? yes was linked to something that the teachers and administrators said? yes to him? yesand to someone else? well, to one another
did these college staff approve of your relationship?I went to a big university. So of course the staff had no knowlerdge, let alone interest, concernoing our romance disapprove? see previous answer

is it relevant whether one or both of your parents were academic staff of somewhere themselves? yesish were they? As old puzzle hands should know, they wewre high school teachers

are all these phi beta kappa thingies relevant? (If so, I'm stuffed, because I don't know what on earth they are but they're always coming up in American films!) Phi Beta Kappa is a national honor society. Since election is for senkiors (& a few jubniors), it doesn't apply to freshman. But. . . you're ORT (on the right track)
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was there some kind of honors program at your university? Academic scholarship program? Athletic scholarship program? Was your boyfriend an athlete? Did your parents believe that your boyfriend was not serious enough as a student?

In retrospect, do you consider your parents' disapproval to have been reasonable?

Is the idea that your boyfriend's family's disapproval is only relevant because otherwise you would not have told him about your family's disapproval?
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 11:56 am:

Was there some kind of honors program at your university? irrel Academic scholarship program? ditto Athletic scholarship program? dittoWas your boyfriend an athlete? no Did your parents believe that your boyfriend was not serious enough as a student? possibly

In retrospect, do you consider your parents' disapproval to have been reasonable? somewhat

Is the idea that your boyfriend's family's disapproval is only relevant because otherwise you would not have told him about your family's disapproval yes
Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 6:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

to be sure, you are female right?
and you two aren't relatives, right?
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 06:28 pm:

to be sure, you are female right? yes
and you two aren't relatives, right? yes
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

was he a frat boy?
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Jennifer (Tigger32382) on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 09:22 pm:

was he a frat boy? no
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could a situation like this have happened at any large American university? Or did it have to do with the unique properties of your university? Are public/private colleges relevant?
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is he not allowed to marry? is he taking up theology? will he become a priest soon?

would the same situation hold if your bf wasn't him (but some other guy?) if you weren't his gf (but some other girl?)

some other place relevant?
time?
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 10:47 am:

Could a situation like this have happened at any large American university? yes Or did it have to do with the unique properties of your university? no Are public/private colleges relevant? no

By Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer) on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 03:23 pm:

is he not allowed to marry? no, he was free to marry is he taking up theology? no will he become a priest soon? no

would the same situation hold if your bf wasn't him (but some other guy?) if you weren't his gf (but some other girl?) I find this question unclear. My parentts would have disapproved of me having as a boyfriend any guy qwho had the relevant property--& this property is something he could have had without being my boyfriend

some other place relevant? no
time? no

Add a Message
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ahh.. ic..

regarding that relevant property of your bf:
is it physical appearance?
his emotional status?
his social status?
his past?
his family history (he is a carrier of some gene or whatever)?
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer) on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 06:13 pm:

ahh.. ic..

regarding that relevant property of your bf:
is it physical appearance? no
his emotional status? no
his social status? noish
his past? no
his family history (he is a carrier of some gene or whatever)? no
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this relevant property of your boyfriend the same as his "position in the college" that you mentioned before was relevant?
Does this property have to do with his academic performance? other academic activities? social activities? living arrangements? other activities?

If you boyfriend had wanted to, could he have easily chosen not to have this property (e.g., by quitting some club that he was in)? or would it require some effort on his part (improving his grades, or moving house)? or would changing this property have caused him hardship (quitting a job from which he needed the money)? or would it have been impossible for him to change?

Did your parents disapprove of the relationship because they thought he would negatively influence you? that you would negatively influence him? that it would reflect badly on them? for some other reason?
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 09:17 pm:

Is this relevant property of your boyfriend the same as his "position in the college" that you mentioned before was relevant? yes
Does this property have to do with his academic performance? yes other academic activities? no social activities? no living arrangements? no other activities? no

If you boyfriend had wanted to, could he have easily chosen not to have this property (e.g., by quitting some club that he was in)? I'm not sure but I doubt it or would it require some effort on his part (improving his grades, or moving house)? You've got it--or half of it. The relevant property was that he was on academic probation. Now what's left is the easy part--how did my parents' disapproval of him for this reason nearly derail our romance? or would changing this property have caused him hardship (quitting a job from which he needed the money)? no or would it have been impossible for him to change? I'm not sure

Did your parents disapprove of the relationship because they thought he would negatively influence you? nothat you would negatively influence him? no that it would reflect badly on them? no for some other reason? yes
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it still necessary to find out why your parents disapproved of your relationship with someone who was on academic probation? Or is that all there is to that part of it?

Was your boyfriend surprised when you told him of your parents' disapproval? sad? angry? Did he start studying a lot harder in an attempt to improve his grades, so that he no longer had any time to spend with you?
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:21 pm:

Is it still necessary to find out why your parents disapproved of your relationship with someone who was on academic probation? Just the obvious reason--they wondered why I was involved with wsomeone they figured must be either stupid or lazy Or is that all there is to that part of it?yes

Was your boyfriend surprised when you told him of your parents' disapproval? no sad? maybe angry? yesDid he start studying a lot harder in an attempt to improve his grades, so that he no longer had any time to spend with you? no

I think we're ready for a\
******** SPOILER ****************
One day my boyfriend said to me, "My parents can be so silly. They don't like it that my girlfriend is Jewish. I said, "My parents don't like it that my boyfriend is on academic probation." I wasn't offended but he was. When I asked him why, he actually said something intelligent: "Because I think there's nothing wrong with Jews but you think there's spomething wrong with students who are on academic probation>" And he was sort of right, I'm afraid.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: