Archive through November 11, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #1 » Archive through November 11, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John: What time is shown on the clock? Trav: 6:52
Do you know what time it really is? Trav: No
If so, is the clock showing the right time? Trav: I don't know
Is the second hand moving? Trav: Yes
Can you take the piece of paper from the table? Trav: No, at least not easily. It is plainly visible, but beneath several layers of clear tape which would take some kind of knife or other sharp object to get loose.
Does the full bucket look like it would contain enough sand to fill the small cup ten times? Trav: Yes, easily, the full bucket looks like it could fill the small cup fifty times, maybe even more than that.
Is there a keyhole in the steel door? Trav: No
If so, does the hermit's key work in it? Trav: I guess that doesn't matter
Does the clock come off the wall? Trav: No, at least it doesn't look like I have any way to remove it.

Lisa: Well, obvious method: Take the small plastic cup, fill it with sand, pour the sand into the bucket, repeat 8 more times (9 cups of sand total). Then fill the small cup with sand and drop both the cup with the sand in it inside the bucket. Trav: Ok, I'll try it (tries this suggested action). Well, I did it, and nothing happened. It sure didn't attract the attention of the guy in the room...

Vae: Try asking the man what you are to do? Trav: Ok, I will (asks the man "what do I do?"). The man smiles, points to the piece of paper on the table and then points to the clock.
Does he speak at all? Trav: I don't know, he has not spoken since I entered the room.
Try just giving him the full bucket. Trav: Ok (walks over and hands the man the full bucket). He doesn't make eye contact with me, just slightly shakes his head and glances at the clock.
If nothing works, try bringing him the empty cup and bucket. How does he respond? Trav: Let's see (returns to the table, replaces the full bucket and takes the empty bucket and cup to the man). Again, he makes no eye contact with me, only shakes his head.
And last of all. Pour all the sand from one bucket to the other? Trav: Ok (does this). Making sure no grains are wasted. Trav: I didn't spill a single grain.
Anything in the (now) empty bucket? Trav: No, it is completely empty.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: That last set of actions took eight minutes. When the clock read 7:00, the man walked over to the table and picked up the little cup and said "I'll be back in a little while". Then he walked to the steel door and tapped on it. The door slid open sideways just enough for him to get through, then quickly closed again. I'm sitting here looking at one full and one empty bucket. The only noise in the room is the ticking of that clock...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he comes back, use the small cup to measure 10 cups into the empty bucket, and give him that bucket. If he won't take it, fill the small cup with sand and give it to him so he is taking a full cup when he leaves.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If that doesn't work, place the cup at the bottom of one bucket and dump the sand from the other bucket into that one until the cup is completely burried, and there are approximately equal portions of sand in both cups.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Once he brings the cup back, that is....)
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 2:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If none of those work, take him the empty bucket, then put ten cups of sand in it, one by one. If he won't take the bucket while it's empty, set it down on the floor in front of him. Count the cups out loud as you empty them into the bucket. Once the bucket has ten cups of sand in it, offer him the small cup, as well.
Valiko Mizandari (Mimino)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check the clock. Is it possible to set it back to 6:52?
Tap on the door. does it open for you as well?
If not, repeat the same after the man returned.
When the man brings the cup back, fill it with sand and put it onto the table. Wait until he leaves again and look whether he will take the cup.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Just a minute ago, the man came back into the room, put the cup on the table, and went back to his place next to the steel door. He has not said anything, only looked at the clock a couple of times.

Jenn: When he comes back, use the small cup to measure 10 cups into the empty bucket, and give him that bucket. Trav: Ok (does this). Once again, when I tried to hand him the bucket all he did was shake his head.

If he won't take it, fill the small cup with sand and give it to him so he is taking a full cup when he leaves. Trav: I'll have to try this later...

Ian: If that doesn't work, place the cup at the bottom of one bucket and dump the sand from the other bucket into that one until the cup is completely burried, and there are approximately equal portions of sand in both cups. Trav: (does this). Ok - that's done. The man isn't looking at me, so this must not be right...

Barb: If none of those work, take him the empty bucket, Trav: (does this) He didn't look at me
then put ten cups of sand in it, one by one. Trav: (does this) Ok.
If he won't take the bucket while it's empty, Trav: ...which he did not do...
set it down on the floor in front of him. Trav: Ok, I did that
Count the cups out loud as you empty them into the bucket. Once the bucket has ten cups of sand in it, offer him the small cup, as well. Trav: does all of this) I did all of this and the guy barely even noticed. He is not looking at me now, either.

Mimino: Check the clock. Is it possible to set it back to 6:52? Trav: No, I do not see any access to a way to change the time on the clock
Tap on the door. does it open for you as well? Trav: No, and the man is laughing at me when I do this
If not, repeat the same after the man returned. Trav: After he leaves, I'll try it
When the man brings the cup back, fill it with sand and put it onto the table. Wait until he leaves again and look whether he will take the cup.
Trav: Ok, I'll try and follow all of these directions (goes back to the table and resets the items - full bucket, empty bucket, empty cup). Now I'll fill the cup with sand (does this) and put it on the table (does this). If the man does not appear to want to take it with him when he taps on the door, I'll try and make him take the cup.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Wow, right after I prepared that cup full of sand, I saw the man turn and tap on the door. As he turned his back on me, I rushed toward him with the cup full of sand and held it out between him and the doorway. He only looked at me and said "Nice try", then he took the cup from me and walked out. There is a large, menacing looking man right on the other side of the doorway, and I don't think he will let me leave this room. The man from the room exited, and the door slid closed behind him. I waited a few seconds and tapped on the door, but I got no response. Now it's quiet in here except for the ticking of the clock. On the table are an empty bucket and a bucket full of sand (less one cupful). I wonder if the man will bring back a full cup or an empty cup...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: The clock on the wall now shows 9:24, and the man has just walked back into the room. He was carrying the cup full of sand, and he walked over to the table and poured it into the full bucket, then set the empty cup on the table. He looked at me and said "You'll need this," motioning to the cup with his hand. He glanced at the clock, then resumed his place by the door.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if the fact that there's a bunch of light bulbs here, which are made of glass, which is made from sand, is relevant....
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: There doesn't seem to be anything important about the light bulbs. I don't see any light switches on the wall, and the lights have been on the whole time I've been in here. The light fixtures don't appear to be anything unusual. There are no windows in the room, so I suppose it would be quite dark if the lights were not on.
Paul S (Psdubl07)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You keep referencing the man looking at the clock. Ask the man if he needs sand, if it matters what time you bring him the sand, why he keeps looking at the clock, if time is relevant at all....and um, also ask him for some Grape Now and Laters.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Paul: You keep referencing the man looking at the clock. Trav: This seems to be something he does often, yes
Ask the man if he needs sand Trav: Ok (says "Man, do you need sand?") "No", says the man.
if it matters what time you bring him the sand,
Trav: "Man, does it matter what time I bring you the sand?"
Man: "No, it doesn't matter what time you bring it to me."

why he keeps looking at the clock,
Trav: "Man, why do you keep looking at the clock?"
Man: "Perhaps you should do the same"

if time is relevant at all
Trav: "Man, is time relevant at all?"
Man: "Yes, but not the precise time of day"

....and um, also ask him for some Grape Now and Laters. Trav: "Man, do you have any Grape Now & Laters?"
Man: "No"
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav, when you entered the room the first time, it was 6:52, right? The man left at 7:00.
What time was it when he came back?
What time was it when he left the second time?
And then he returned for the third time at 9:24, right?
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Take him ten cups of sand
2. He takes the small cup when he leaves

What else can it mean?

Try handing him a full cup of sand at a 6 minute mark. So, 6, 12, 24, 30. You get the idea.
If that doesn't work.
Try at a 10 minute mark.
If still nothing.
Ask the man, if you have to use the paper in some way.
Ask him, if he wants sand in the bucket or cup. (If he'll respond at all that is.}
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barb: Trav, when you entered the room the first time, it was 6:52, right? Trav: Yes, that's right
The man left at 7:00. Trav: Yes
What time was it when he came back? Trav: I did not notice
What time was it when he left the second time? Trav: I did not notice that either
And then he returned for the third time at 9:24, right? Trav: Yes. It does seem to me that there is no 'schedule' that the man is on, there do not seem to be consistent arrival/departure times

Vae: INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Take him ten cups of sand
2. He takes the small cup when he leaves

What else can it mean?

Trav: Well, as a kind of recap, we know that he does take the cup with him when he leaves the room. I've tried several experiments transferring sand from bucket to bucket, putting the cup inside the buckets, and taking the cup to the man, and he doesn't seem impressed with any of this. He's told me that maybe I should pay attention to the clock, but not to a certain time of day, and he has refused to give me a Now & Later in Grape.

Try handing him a full cup of sand at a 6 minute mark. So, 6, 12, 24, 30. You get the idea.
Trav: Ok (tries this a few times). He doesn't seem to be in a hurry to leave, so maybe we've got some time to try out some other things here. The man does not seem to be interested in my bringing the cup to him, he does not even look at me during these attempts.
If that doesn't work.
Try at a 10 minute mark. Trav: This achieved the same result.
If still nothing.
Ask the man, if you have to use the paper in some way. Trav: Ok (asks "Do I have to use the paper in some way?)
Man: "No"

Ask him, if he wants sand in the bucket or cup. (If he'll respond at all that is.}
Trav: Ok (asks the man this question). He pointed to the empty bucket, and then pointed to the clock again (am I sensing something here?).
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Hey, get this - the man walked over to the table and picked up the cup, went and tapped on the steel door and made his exit. But before he walked out of the room, he pushed his sleeve up slightly and checked the time on his watch! Has he had that on the whole time? Hmmm....

Now it's quiet in here, with the exception of the tick-tick-tick of the clock.
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

When he returns, check the time.

Put 10 cups worth of sand into the empty bucket, ensuring he notices this. And leave it alone.
Does he even pay attention? Or just glances at the clock?

Do you know if the cup he takes away is the same cup as he brings back? Ask him if you aren't sure. Or does he alter it? Again, ask if unknown.

Is there another meaning to cups? I'm thinking the cup isn't relevant. But the clock, sand, and bucket are.

Using the clock, do you think you can make a ten minute hourglass? Try. Then put all that sand, into the bucket if it's too much for the cup. If it's a small amount, keep it in the cup. Don't waste any.

Response?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vae: When he returns, check the time.
Trav: Ok. I took a power nap for just a little while, and woke up when I heard the door open - the clock showed 11:24.

Put 10 cups worth of sand into the empty bucket, ensuring he notices this. And leave it alone.
Does he even pay attention? Or just glances at the clock? Trav: Ok, I did this just as you directed me to. The only time the man looks my way is when I initially pour sand from the bucket into the cup. Once I've done this one time, he looks away, and doesn't seem to notice as I repeat this action. What do you make of that?

Do you know if the cup he takes away is the same cup as he brings back? Trav: Yes, it's the same cup
Ask him if you aren't sure. Or does he alter it? Again, ask if unknown. Trav: I'm sure it is the same cup, it has not been altered in any way.

Is there another meaning to cups? I'm thinking the cup isn't relevant. But the clock, sand, and bucket are. Trav: Well like I said, the only time the man looks at me is when I pour the first few grains of sand into the cup, he doesn't seem interested after that.

Using the clock, do you think you can make a ten minute hourglass? Try. Trav: You'd better help me with this...
Then put all that sand, into the bucket if it's too much for the cup. If it's a small amount, keep it in the cup. Don't waste any.

Response?
Trav: Give me a little more help here, I'll let you know if it works and what kind of response I get.
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wait...
Cup 10 cups of sand into the cup. Try and hand it to him. Response?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vae: Cup 10 cups of sand into the cup. Trav: I don't know what you mean by this...?
Try and hand it to him. Response? Trav: Help me out on this direction...