Archive through November 12, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Bodo] Sometimes you just need to vend... » Archive through November 12, 2005 « Previous Next »

Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The woman walked up to the vending machine, gave it a look, then fed it a dollar bill and a five-cent coin, even though nothing in the machine cost more than 80 cents. She then made her selection, took what was vended and walked off. Why did she put in the extra money?

This has the potential to be really easy, but I'll probably only have access during the evenings next week due to travel. Please email with early splioers.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it give change? Did she want a quarter in change?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 10:27 pm:

Does it give change? Yes. Did she want a quarter in change? No.
Ian (Image)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

She was buying two things with a total cost of $1.05?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ian (Image) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:14 pm:

She was buying two things with a total cost of $1.05? No (although I admit I was trying to word it to sound that way :O).
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she remove her change from the machine? Or was she leaving a quarter behind for someone else?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:18 pm:

Did she remove her change from the machine? Or was she leaving a quarter behind for someone else? She took her change (and there's a potential FA there).
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the actual value of what she bought:
5 cents? 10 cents? .... 80 cents?

to rephrase my earlier question in view of a potential FA I spotted... was she leaving the extra change for someone else, or did she take it with her? did she need exact change for bus fare? something else that only accepted quarters?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

Was the actual value of what she bought:
5 cents? 10 cents? .... 80 cents? She bought one item which would've been less than 80 cents--the exact value isn't relevant, but be careful with that statement :O.

to rephrase my earlier question in view of a potential FA I spotted... was she leaving the extra change for someone else, or did she take it with her? She took all of the change. did she need exact change for bus fare? No. something else that only accepted quarters? No.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

anything relevant about the particular dollar note and coin she put into the machine?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Friday, November 11, 2005 - 11:30 pm:

anything relevant about the particular dollar note and coin she put into the machine? Nope, standard bill, standard nickel. Only the face value of them ($1.05 total) was relevant.
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"She bought one item which would've been less than 80 cents" Is that "would've" significant? Did it cost less than 80 cents?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rachel (Myth) on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 01:02 am:

"She bought one item which would've been less than 80 cents" Is that "would've" significant? Yessish. Did it cost less than 80 cents? Yes.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Er, that was s'posed to be Yessish. sorry.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I mean instead of the italicized Yessish--the bold Yes. is fine.
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So she needed the rest of the money for something?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 3:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rachel (Myth) on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 02:49 am:

So she needed the rest of the money for something? The rest of what money?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, that sounds a little snotty, doesn't it. Ultimately I'm sure she had--or would have--a use for the change, but that had nothing to do with her behavio(u)r.
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So change not relevant?

So did she buy: one item? two? three? four? five? six? seven? eight? nine? ten?
(I'm not sure of anything costing less than 50 cents nowadays in vending machines, but one can't be too careful in this forum.)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any other people/beings relevant to the puzzle?
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Vae (Vaetrus) on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 04:16 am:

So change not relevant? Er...negative questions are hard to answer clearly, so I'll say change is relevant (but I don't think that's the answer to the question you're asking, sorry--can't really clarify that without givin' stuff up).

So did she buy: one item? Yes. two? three? four? five? six? seven? eight? nine? ten? No to the rest.
(I'm not sure of anything costing less than 50 cents nowadays in vending machines, but one can't be too careful in this forum.) Chewing gum, maybe, but as noted above it's pretty much moot anyhow, since she only bought one item.
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 4:28 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Saturday, November 12, 2005 - 04:21 am:

any other people/beings relevant to the puzzle? Nope, only her actions are relevant to the puzzle.