Archive through November 14, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #1 » Archive through November 14, 2005 « Previous Next »

ryan (Ryan_Nelson)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you do now have 'A key' from the monk - is there anywhere you could use it on the organ? could u use it to smash the glass the monk is standing in front of? what is the picture in the window the monk is at?
is it possible to open the door that you came in by using the key? if so, describe what is in the corridor. is the big touch guy still there? can he come into the organ room?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Is the monk still by the windows? Trav: Yes, he is in the same place.
Try just holding the A down even longer. Then try telling the monk "The key is A" Trav: Ok (holds down A). As soon as the sound comes from the pipe, the monk begins matching the pitch. His voice gets louder as his head raises and his arms go outward (like he is imitating a scarecrow). The creaking lasts for several seconds and then it stops completely. After the creaking stops, the monk is singing so loudly that I cannot really hear anything else. I yelled several times "The key is A!" "The key is A", but the monk does not respond, nor does he cease to make the pitch of A.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ryan: you do now have 'A key' from the monk - is there anywhere you could use it on the organ? Trav: I do not see any keyholes on the organ. The only place it appears I can use this key is in the door I came in through.
could u use it to smash the glass the monk is standing in front of? Trav: I am not sure - do you want me to try that?
what is the picture in the window the monk is at?
Trav: I cannot make out a picture in any of the windows, they all look like I am looking into a kaleidescope.
is it possible to open the door that you came in by using the key? Trav: (walks over and puts the key into the door). Yes, this door unlocks and opens very easily.
if so, describe what is in the corridor. Trav: A heavy iron door has been lowered immediately on the other side of this door, so I cannot see into the corridor.
is the big touch guy still there? can he come into the organ room? Trav: I think we're done with him and everything else in previous rooms, since I am staring at a massive iron door with no keyhole or knob.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps sing the A back to him? Singing other notes help?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is he still singing even after you stop playing? if so, see if you can go over and open the door as he sings... try tapping on the glass windows if you can reach them, if the door won't work. maybe the glass has been weakened.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is he still singing even after you stop playing? if so, see if you can go over and open the door as he sings... try tapping on the glass windows if you can reach them, if the door won't work. maybe the glass has been weakened.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the door raise and lower with his singing?
ryan (Ryan_Nelson)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is the monk still singing without you playing the organ? or has he stopped? is it possible to move the monk? could you lead him in front of the doors you want opened?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

aack, why does it keep posting my questions over and over again? sorry!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Perhaps sing the A back to him? Trav: Ok (sings a perfect A to the monk). He does not respond, and I don't hear any other noise(s).
Singing other notes help? Trav: (sings several other notes). No, nothing.

Jenn: is he still singing even after you stop playing? Trav: No, he stops immediately after I release the key, but it takes about 5 seconds for the echo to die out in this massive room.
if so, see if you can go over and open the door as he sings...Trav: Which door? The door I entered through is still open, but the iron door is closed.
try tapping on the glass windows if you can reach them, if the door won't work. maybe the glass has been weakened. Trav: (taps on one of the windows). Hmm, this glass does not appear to be weakened at all, it is quite thick.

Lisa: Does the door raise and lower with his singing? Trav: The iron door? No, it has not moved at all.

ryan: is the monk still singing without you playing the organ? or has he stopped? Trav: See answer above about this.
is it possible to move the monk? could you lead him in front of the doors you want opened? Trav: Well, if you can lead a horse to water, can you lead a monk to a door? Let's test your theory (grabs the monk gently by the sleeve and starts to walk to the double doors). Ok, he came along with me without any resistance and is now standing in the rear of the room next to the double doors.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Now that he's there, sing the A again, please. does he stay by the doors or does he move back to the windows?
ryan (Ryan_Nelson)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok now hit A and the pedal to the loudest - anything happen?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Now that he's there, sing the A again, please. Trav: Ok (clears throat, takes a deep breath, and sings an impressive 'A' for the monk to hear).
does he stay by the doors or does he move back to the windows? Trav: He stays by the doors and does not respond in any way, nor do I hear any other noise(s).
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ryan: ok now hit A and the pedal to the loudest - anything happen? Trav: Ok - as I do this, I'm aware again of the monk joining in (but I can't hear him for a few seconds now because the organ is so loud), the steady creaking for a few seconds and then it stops, yet the monk continues and his voice is soon as loud as the organ.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you stop and run to the door and try to push on it? after he stops singing and the echoes die down, then try saying the key is a
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

While he's at the double doors, tell him "A". That's all, just "A".
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: can you stop and run to the door and try to push on it? Trav: Hmmm...(stops playing, turns to run to the door). Hey, were those doors moving? I think those doors were in the process of closing as I released the key and turned around to run toward them! Once I reach them they are firmly closed, though, and I can't get them to move at all.

after he stops singing and the echoes die down, then try saying the key is a Trav: (waits until it's quiet and says this). I get no response.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barb: While he's at the double doors, tell him "A". That's all, just "A". Trav: I get no response from him when I do this.
ryan (Ryan_Nelson)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can u make the monk play the note by leading him to the organ and placing his hand on the a key? or use "a key" to weigh down the A key?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

can you take the key that you have and put it on the "a" key so that it will hold it down. then as the tone keeps playing, you can get up and go over to the doors.
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Monday, November 14, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you tell from what direction the creak is coming from? Does it seem like someone is walking? Or something is shifting? Might it be the walls/floor/ceiling responding to the pitch?

Did you notice when the monk moved?
Try playing the whole piece, and see if he moves at certian interval, ignore the singing he makes at A for now.

Would you think the key would fit somewhere to stop the creaking? Might it be preventing the monk from moving to open the door for you?

Try going through the whole octave and see if he responds at any other note. Might you be able to make him talk by playing notes?