Archive through November 15, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [tigger32382] Mission! » Archive through November 15, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Inspired by Trav's Lateral Adventure...

I've had a lot of fun doing the lateral adventure, so I thought I would create something along the same lines...

Meet Norman. Norman just graduated from Super Spy School, and is being sent on his first mission. Unfortunately, Norman has been given no instructions. He was blindfolded (that happens a lot to poor Norman!) and when the blindfold was removed, he was alone in a big room. Can you help Norman figure out what his mission is and help him accomplish it?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, I'm glad I could inspire something. Trav's 2nd Puzzle is already ready, just waiting on the first one to get solved (and he's almost out!)

When the blindfold is removed, is Norman standing? sitting? kneeling?
Other than Norman, is there anything else in this room?
Is Norman carrying any weapons?
Do any of Norman's clothes have pockets? If so, are there any objects in those pockets?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Gee, I'm glad I could inspire something. Trav's 2nd Puzzle is already ready, just waiting on the first one to get solved (and he's almost out!) Awesome! Can't wait to work on it :)

When the blindfold is removed, is Norman standing? sitting? kneeling? Norman is standing, rather bewildered
Other than Norman, is there anything else in this room? Why yes! As Norman looks around, he sees a safe in the far corner. The floor is tiled, and the walls are fairly bare, except there seems to be a chart hanging on one wall. Norman's vision isn't good enough to see it clearly this far away.
Is Norman carrying any weapons? Just his super-powered brain squad from the LTPF!
Do any of Norman's clothes have pockets? If so, are there any objects in those pockets? His pants do have pockets... let's see, there's some old lint, a few quarters, last week's bus ticket, and a paper clip.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few quarters and a paper clip? Great! If Norman gets attacked, we can pull a MacGyver and build a gun!.

Does this room have an exit? More than one?
Is the safe open? Closed?
Can Norman get close enough to the chart to read it?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few quarters and a paper clip? Great! If Norman gets attacked, we can pull a MacGyver and build a gun!.

Does this room have an exit? More than one? no exits that Norman can see... how scary!
Is the safe open? Closed? The safe is closed, and upon closer inspection, appears to be locked.
Can Norman get close enough to the chart to read it? Yes... it is a periodic table
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the safe resting on the floor? Flat on the floor? On top of something else?
Is it possible to remove the periodic table chart from the wall? If so, is there anything on the wall behind where the chart was? If the chart can't be removed, can it at least be moved to see if anything is on the wall behind it?
Does this safe have a door on the front of it? On the top? If so, is there a dial on the door? Does this dial (if there is one) have numbers on it? Letters? Something else?
Does the safe have a keyhole? Padlock? Does it appear that it can be opened by a combination being dialed in?
If Norman stands completely still and doesn't make any noise, can any sounds be heard?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the safe resting on the floor? Flat on the floor? On top of something else? It is flat on the floor, and very heavy.
Is it possible to remove the periodic table chart from the wall? If so, is there anything on the wall behind where the chart was? If the chart can't be removed, can it at least be moved to see if anything is on the wall behind it? Norman tore the chart off the wall. It is now lying on the floor. There was nothing on the wall behind it.
Does this safe have a door on the front of it? Yes On the top? If so, is there a dial on the door? Does this dial (if there is one) have numbers on it? Letters? Something else?
Does the safe have a keyhole? Padlock? Does it appear that it can be opened by a combination being dialed in? There is a keypad on it, with the numbers from 0-9.
If Norman stands completely still and doesn't make any noise, can any sounds be heard? Wow, Norman usually is a chatterbox, so this is hard for him... but he makes a great effort and is quiet, and can hear a voice whispering "Think... think... "
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think then that we are meant to get some number using the periodic table, which is the safe combination.

Is there anything 'out of place' about the periodic table? (use this periodic table as a reference point if you have to)

What is the safe made of?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, let's have Norman examine the chart. Does it look like any marks, sketches or anything else has been drawn on the chart? Is the chart a complete periodic table?
Just for kicks, have Norman start in the corner where the safe is and make a complete walk around the room, staying as close to the wall as possible. During his trip, does he see or feel anything on any wall?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Ed, I agree that this likely is the case. Or perhaps the solution to this is quite easy, and we're to pick up from the presence of the chart of the 'elements' that the solution is 'elementary'
Ian (Image)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm.... I bet Norman's mission is to open the safe, but how...?

What are the walls made of? The floor? The ceiling? The room is lighted, correct? Where's the light coming from?
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How many numbers does the combination lock accept? If it will allow it, enter '32' and see what happens.
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Good point Ixoye. Norman, did your spy training involve learning how to pick locks? If yes, try your best on this one. (That is, if my '32' suggestion failed, of course :))
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys probably all know that you can tell on a keypad which keys are often used - if there is any way to produce some kind of dust and gently allow it to settle on the keys, if uncovered fingers have pushed the keys, the residual skin oil on the keys will cause the dust to stick. Let's keep this in mind, maybe someone can figure out how Norm can make some dust!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can Norman tell what the safe is made of? Lead? Iron? Steel? Another metal? Wood? Some other type of material?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Norm, do you have dandruff?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I would think then that we are meant to get some number using the periodic table, which is the safe combination. This sounds like a good idea, but how to do it?

Is there anything 'out of place' about the periodic table? (use this periodic table as a reference point if you have to) Nope, it appears to be a normal periodic table

What is the safe made of? Norman isn't really sure, but he would guess lead

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:30 pm:

Ok, let's have Norman examine the chart. Does it look like any marks, sketches or anything else has been drawn on the chart? Is the chart a complete periodic table? It is complete, with no visible marks
Just for kicks, have Norman start in the corner where the safe is and make a complete walk around the room, staying as close to the wall as possible. During his trip, does he see or feel anything on any wall? Nope, a smooth trip for him.

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:31 pm:

Yes, Ed, I agree that this likely is the case. Or perhaps the solution to this is quite easy, and we're to pick up from the presence of the chart of the 'elements' that the solution is 'elementary'

By Ian (Image) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:32 pm:

Hmm.... I bet Norman's mission is to open the safe, but how...? indeed

What are the walls made of? Stone The floor? Tiled stone The ceiling? Stone The room is lighted, correct? Where's the light coming from? The room is dimly lit, coming from some lightbulbs hanging along the ceiling

By Ed Mason (Logician) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:32 pm:

How many numbers does the combination lock accept? If it will allow it, enter '32' and see what happens. Okay... Norman enters 32, but nothing happens

By Ed Mason (Logician) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:34 pm:

Good point Ixoye. Norman, did your spy training involve learning how to pick locks? If yes, try your best on this one. (That is, if my '32' suggestion failed, of course ) I learned, but none of my tricks are working. This seems to be the "unpickable" safe

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:37 pm:

You guys probably all know that you can tell on a keypad which keys are often used - if there is any way to produce some kind of dust and gently allow it to settle on the keys, if uncovered fingers have pushed the keys, the residual skin oil on the keys will cause the dust to stick. Let's keep this in mind, maybe someone can figure out how Norm can make some dust! Hmm... this room seems to be immaculate, so Norman doesn't know how to make any dust.

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:38 pm:

Can Norman tell what the safe is made of? Lead? Iron? Steel? Another metal? Wood? Some other type of material? I think lead, but I'm not sure

By Ian (Image) on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 09:39 pm:

Norm, do you have dandruff? No! I am offended at the suggestion :)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it seem that as soon as you are finished entering numbers on the keypad it rejects what you have entered and resets? Or is there some kind of 'enter' key that needs to be pressed to confirm what we enter?

If we can just try numbers and allow the safe to reset, try entering 82 - anything? If not, try entering 103 - anything?
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Another number to try - 125.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does it seem that as soon as you are finished entering numbers on the keypad it rejects what you have entered and resets? The safe resets as soon as I hit "enter" and the number is wrong..." Or is there some kind of 'enter' key that needs to be pressed to confirm what we enter? I have been doing this. A light flashes red each time to tell me the combo was wrong, then resets

If we can just try numbers and allow the safe to reset, try entering 82 - anything? If not, try entering 103 - anything? Nothing for either of these
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

125 also does nothing
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any markings of any sort on the safe?