Archive through November 15, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #1 » Archive through November 15, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hey, something just happened that I think you all should know about. Just a few seconds ago, the door that I entered through opened, and a man pushing a wheelbarrow entered the room. The wheelbarrow was full of these same coins. He let out a laugh and dumped the coins all over the floor. He then turned and left, closing the door behind him. Next, the old man got up from his stool and started walking around the room, looking over all the coins. He stopped briefly by the shelves and looked at the coins I had put there, then kept circling the room mumbling to himself. He took a deep breath, scooped up a handful of coins and went back to the stool. He's now sorting again...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Place ten coins, one at a time, on the ONES shelf, then pick them up and go place one coin on the TENS shelf, then repeat the process a couple of times and see if anything happens.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you take a few stacks of his coins and add up all the numbers on the individual coins? Maybe he is sorting them into piles worth "one" and we just have to figure out how many "cents" make "one"...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis: Place ten coins, one at a time, on the ONES shelf, then pick them up and go place one coin on the TENS shelf, then repeat the process a couple of times and see if anything happens.
Trav: Ok - I've done this a couple of times, and I do not think it drew much attention from the man, and it didn't seem to make anything else happen. The man watched me put the first coin down, but then he seemed to lose interest very quickly and go back to sorting.

Jenn: Can you take a few stacks of his coins and add up all the numbers on the individual coins? Maybe he is sorting them into piles worth "one" and we just have to figure out how many "cents" make "one"...
Trav: Well at this point there are only two stacks on the table, so let me get those (picks up small stack). Ok, the small stack has nine coins in it: two 1's, four 5's, one 10, and three 25's (puts this stack back and gets the larger one). This stack has many coins, I pretty much had to scoop it off the table into my hands. The numbers here are random, there are several of each number coin, and the man has already started a new stack where this one came from with one 10 and one 5. I don't see how I can make this stack equal any number...

Meanwhile, the man is continuing his sorting work and doesn't seem to notice or mind that I picked up his stacks, and I'm holding the coins from the larger stack...
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Grab a bunch of ones and ten coins and throw them out the window. Then repeat this a few more times. We'll collect them later when we get out of this room *grins wickedly*

Then, pile 100 ones and 10 tens on the shelves. Then add another 90 tens to the proper shelf.
After that, pile as many ones and tens as you can onto their respective shelves.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Grab a bunch of ones and ten coins and throw them out the window. Then repeat this a few more times. We'll collect them later when we get out of this room *grins wickedly* Trav: Ok, well this will take a while since the only window in the room is the little hole in the door (tosses a bunch of coins out the window). Hey, it's getting dark outside, I guess we've been in this puzzle for about a day, but it's hard to keep track of time (where's the stupid clock when you need it, right?). Anyway, the man must think it's getting late too, because he has worked furiously and made five stacks on the table. He's now yawning and rubbing his fingers together.

Then, pile 100 ones and 10 tens on the shelves.
Trav: Ok - I'd say I can make a stack that is two coins deep, and maybe twelve coins high before the coins topple over. The shelf will hold this many coins.
Then add another 90 tens to the proper shelf.
After that, pile as many ones and tens as you can onto their respective shelves.
Trav: Ok, I've done what you've suggested (I think I did it right). The little man has gotten off of the stool, and is standing at the door looking thoughfully out the window, not paying me any attention. So now I have a pile of ones on the shelf under the "ONES", and a pile of tens on the shelf under the "TENS".
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have we tried two ones and two tens on either shelf yet?

Look around the room again, any scales? Any other shelves? Slots? What does the floor look like?

Are the coins mislabled perhaps?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Have we tried two ones and two tens on either shelf yet? Trav: No, you want me to do this?

Look around the room again, any scales? Trav: No Any other shelves? Trav: No Slots? Trav: No What does the floor look like? Trav: It is a brick floor

Are the coins mislabled perhaps? Trav: Now I don't know about that.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*sighs* Try the double coin method mentioned in the previous post.

How about trying one of each denomination on the ones shelf, and stacks that add up to ten on the tens shelf (ten ones, two fives, and 1 ten)?

Heft each of the coins, do the ones feel lighter than the fives, the fives feel lighter than the tens, etc.?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: *sighs* Try the double coin method mentioned in the previous post. Trav: Ok (clears both shelves). Now let me know if I do this right: I'm putting two 1's and two 10's on both shelves, that's all. This does not bring much response, the man is just leaning against the wall looking towards me.

How about trying one of each denomination on the ones shelf, and stacks that add up to ten on the tens shelf (ten ones, two fives, and 1 ten)?
Trav: Ok (adds one of each coin to the ONES shelf to the two 1's and two 10's that are already there, then adds ten 1's, two 5's and a 10 to the other shelf). No additional action or response from the man or anyone/anything else.
Heft each of the coins, do the ones feel lighter than the fives, the fives feel lighter than the tens, etc.? Trav: No, all coins are the same weight.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

(Remove the original two ones and two tens from those stacks please.)

*hits reset button*

If nothing, then clear all coins. Add one "one" to the ONES shelf, and simultaneously add one ten to the TENS shelf. Keep doing this until the shelves are full or something happens.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Right as I was adding the last few coins, the door across the room opened and the man with the wheelbarrow entered. His wheelbarrow was empty, and he went to the table, swept his hand across it and all the coins on the table went into his wheelbarrow. He then came over to the ONES shelf and swept all coins off it it into the wheelbarrow. Next, he came over to the TENS shelf and swept nearly all the coins off of it. As he was about to finish this, the old man stopped him and said "No, leave those." "Fine," said the other man, and turned and left the room with his wheelbarrow. The old man winked at me and said "Ones and Tens gets us out of here." Then he went over to the table, extinguished the lamp on it, climbed onto the table and fell asleep.

The room is very quiet now, it is nighttime outside. There are no coins on the table, and there are two 1's stacked on the TENS shelf.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: (Remove the original two ones and two tens from those stacks please.) Trav: Ok, read what just happened and let me know if you still want me to do this.

*hits reset button*

If nothing, then clear all coins. Add one "one" to the ONES shelf, and simultaneously add one ten to the TENS shelf. Keep doing this until the shelves are full or something happens.
Trav: I'll wait on this too until you read what the Wheelbarrow Guy and the other man did.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*wonders if you can bribe the guy with the wheelbarrow to get you out of there*

How did the 1's wind up on the TENS shelf? We didn't put them there...

Having all sorts of oddball ideas, including cutting the troll open and letting his blood eat through the door. But then I remembered that only vampires, dragons, and abominations, and aliens can do that. Grr.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: How did the 1's wind up on the TENS shelf? We didn't put them there...
Trav: Yes, I (we) did. You had asked me to add some coins to both shelves, and I don't know if I did exactly what you wanted me to do, but I put two 1's and two 10's on both shelves before I added any more coins.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The ones are are the Tens shelf because Trav built a stack of each denomination that totalled TEN (10 Ones, 2 Fives, and 1 Ten) on that shelf, then the wheelbarrow man took almost all of them. The Old Man stopped him before he took the last two Ones from the shelf.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*wonders if you can bribe the guy with the wheelbarrow to get you out of there*
Trav: I don't know about this. He doesn't seem to care anything about these coins. After all, they are scattered all over the floor and even piled up in some places and he doesn't even act like he notices that. I'm not entirely sure the coins matter much to this old troll-like man either, because he doesn't act upset or irritated that I messed with his stacks, or the fact that the guy with the wheelbarrow came and took all of his stacks. Plus, the first time the wheelbarrow guy came in, it was to dump a bunch of coins all over the floor anyway. Do these coins have any value to anybody?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Right. I noticed my "reset" came too late. ERGH.

Can you use a one coin to jimmy the lock on the last door? We're down to just two coins in the whole room? Or are there still tons of coins all over the place?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lisa: Can you use a one coin to jimmy the lock on the last door? Trav: Well, no, that won't work. I can see that this door that leads outside has some kind of mechanism that operates from the other side. When it was daylight, I could only see light coming through the seam where the door meets the jamb in some places, meaning that something(s) are going across the door on the other side. My guess is that was must have to happen is that someone on the other side of this door will have to move the things going across the door before I can push the door open.
We're down to just two coins in the whole room? Or are there still tons of coins all over the place? Trav: Oh no, there are hundreds of coins scattered and in piles all around the floor.
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the shelves depress at all? Can you push on them and make them move in some way? Is there room in the ONES and TENS labels that would allow for insertion of coins? Or wedging or something?
Lisa (Dlcygnet)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about stacking ones on the floor beneath the designated shelf? And tens under their designated shelf? Is it possible to make a stack that reaches each shelf?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try putting 2 tens on the ones shelf and 2 ones on the tens shelf... then each shelf will have "Ones and Tens"...

If that doesn't do anything, and if the shelf check proves them to be loose, can you set one shelf on top of the other? If so, try putting the tens on top of the ones, then vice versa if nothing happens...