Archive through November 16, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [tigger32382] Mission! » Archive through November 16, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any markings of any sort on the safe? Nope, just the keypad.
...There's that voice again, saying "Think, think." It is louder and more insistent.
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Think, think...

OK - kindly try 158, 169, 316 and 338 :)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try 26 next... maybe it's made of iron instead...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try 73... just a sneaky hunch... "Open sesame"???
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Think, think...

OK - kindly try 158, 169, 316 and 338 :)

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:14 am:

try 26 next... maybe it's made of iron instead...

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:20 am:

try 73... just a sneaky hunch... "Open sesame"???

None of these ideas work! They are all great ideas, but I cannot get this safe to open. Hmmm... guess I better "think" some more.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He doesn't have dust, but he does have pocket lint. Will that work?

As tothe element numbers, many safes are steel, which is iron and carbon, with perhaps some othe bits. I don't know the numbers for iron and carbon, but try those two in combination.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try 90153719
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

He doesn't have dust, but he does have pocket lint. Will that work? I tried putting the lint on the keys, but could not tell which had been used. Creative thinking though!

As tothe element numbers, many safes are steel, which is iron and carbon, with perhaps some othe bits. I don't know the numbers for iron and carbon, but try those two in combination. Iron is 26, carbon is 6... trying 26-6 and 6-26... neither work. Darn!
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make that 9053719.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If that doesn't work, try 904919
Ian (Image)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oooh, clever

Also try 90537199053719 (ThINK, ThINK)
and 904919 (ThInK)
and 904919904919 (ThInK, ThInK)
and 9053719904919 (ThINK, ThInK)
and 9049199053719 (ThInK, ThINK)

Lead, hmm? Try the molar mass of lead, 20898, as well as 2090 and 209, depending on how many decimal places the safe may require...
Ian (Image)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You got the 904919 after I loaded the page but before I got to the post... :P
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Make that 9053719 Norman pushes the buttons and ...ooo! It works! Nice work guys. Part one of the mission completed.

Norman opens the door to the safe and inside is... a sombrero!?!?!? Nothing else is inside the safe other than this. Now what?
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out the sombrero, and describe it to us i detail, inside and out, please. Oh, and check to see if there's anything written on or attached to the inside of the safe door.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take out the sombrero, and describe it to us i detail, inside and out, please. Oh, and check to see if there's anything written on or attached to the inside of the safe door. The sombrero is brightly colored, lots of blues, pinks, greens and yellows. It is made of straw, and is about 2-3 feet in diameter. Inside looks the same as outside, except for a small tag that says "Hecho en México." The hat is probably about 12 inches tall. There is no writing in the safe anywhere.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a regular pattern in the various colors?

How large are the tiles on the floor? are there any that vary either in color or texture? It could be a very slight variation.

Yes, I've got an idea, but I'll wait for the answers to these questions...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there a regular pattern in the various colors? The colors on the sombrero? It seems to be a repeating patter of blue, pink, green, yellow, with a thin stripe of white following the yellow

How large are the tiles on the floor? the tiles on the floor are about 1 foot square. are there any that vary either in color or texture? It could be a very slight variation. I can't see any difference between them...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, well then crawl around the room on the floor looking for any tiles that may be just a bit loose (or a lot loose). Can you locate any?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You guys are good...it occured to me this morning that we could use the numbers to each element to spell out 'think', but fortunately you guys were already past that by the time I could get to the keyboard!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, well then crawl around the room on the floor looking for any tiles that may be just a bit loose (or a lot loose). Can you locate any? None of them appear to be loose... As I walk over the center of the room I hear a grinding noise, though. I wonder what that could mean
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turn the sombrero over so that you can look up inside the part that would be on your head if you wore it...it there anything inside that part of the hat?
You may as well put the hat on while you're at it...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Turn the sombrero over so that you can look up inside the part that would be on your head if you wore it...it there anything inside that part of the hat?
You may as well put the hat on while you're at it...
There is nothing exciting inside, only that tag saying Hecho en México. Okay, I am putting the hat on my head... Wow, I feel cool! But nothing is happening.