Archive through November 16, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - November 2005 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #1 » Archive through November 16, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LisA: do the shelves depress at all? Trav: No
Can you push on them and make them move in some way? Trav: No, they don't seem to budge at all
Is there room in the ONES and TENS labels that would allow for insertion of coins? Or wedging or something? Trav: No, the words have been etched into the wall, but not very much of an impression was made while etching them.

What about stacking ones on the floor beneath the designated shelf? Trav: I guess I can do this
And tens under their designated shelf? Trav: Ok, I'll try this too
Is it possible to make a stack that reaches each shelf? Trav: No, the shelves are too high off the floor.

Lewis:try putting 2 tens on the ones shelf and 2 ones on the tens shelf... then each shelf will have "Ones and Tens"... Trav: Ok, I did this

If that doesn't do anything, and if the shelf check proves them to be loose, can you set one shelf on top of the other? If so, try putting the tens on top of the ones, then vice versa if nothing happens...Trav: I'm trying all this. The old man is still asleep and nothing is happening.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try only putting ones on the shelf labeled "TENS" ... since those were the coins left there. then go through all the denominations and try them one at a time on the "ONES" shelf... see if we get a reaction
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you don't get anything from that, try completely covering the ONES shelf with coins, one deep, and build stacks ten high to completely cover the TENS shelf. Don't worry about what denomination you use right now.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Try only putting ones on the shelf labeled "TENS" ... since those were the coins left there. then go through all the denominations and try them one at a time on the "ONES" shelf... see if we get a reaction Trav: Ok (puts a couple of 1's on the TENS shelf, then puts one of each coin on the ONES shelf...

Wow, time really flies when you're having fun. The sun is coming up, and it's getting lighter in here. The wheelbarrow guy just came back in, but without the wheelbarrow. He walked over to the table and tapped the old guy on the head. The old man jumped up and off the table, then he walked over to the ONES shelf. He waved the other man over to the shelf and whispered something to him. Then, the other man removed all coins from the ONES shelf with the exception of a single coin (I can't tell from here what he left on the shelf). The two of them then walked over to the TENS shelf and studied it for a minute. They cleared off all but two coins from it (I think they left the two that I originally had put there). The wheelbarrow guy then left the room, closing the door behind him. So now there are two coins on the TENS shelf, and a single coin on the ONES shelf.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barb: If you don't get anything from that, try completely covering the ONES shelf with coins, one deep, and build stacks ten high to completely cover the TENS shelf. Don't worry about what denomination you use right now. Trav: As earlier, I'll wait to do this until you've read what just took place...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go look at the coins left behind please, and verify their denominations. Try putting more coins of the same denomination on each shelf. Are the ones left behind particularly clean or dirty? If so, make sure that the new coins you add match.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Go look at the coins left behind please, and verify their denominations. Trav: Two 1's on the TENS shelf, one 25 on the ONES shelf.
Try putting more coins of the same denomination on each shelf. Trav: Ok (puts a random stack of 1's on the TENS shelf, and a random stack of 25's on the ONES shelf).
Are the ones left behind particularly clean or dirty? If so, make sure that the new coins you add match. Trav: The two coins left on the TENS shelf were both scuffed, and the 25 piece looked practically new, so I did my best to match these.

I have not attraced any extended attention from the old man, but he does seem more interested in me today. He glances at me every few seconds, then continues his work. Today he's got a large pile of coins on the table, picking through them and pulling one at a time out and rubbing it with a cloth.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try putting more scuffed coins on the tens shelf and more clean coins on the ones shelf, no matter of the denomination
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: try putting more scuffed coins on the tens shelf and more clean coins on the ones shelf, no matter of the denomination Trav: Ok (puts scuffed/clean coins on the shelves as directed). This doesn't seem to have drawn any looks from the man at the table, who now seems to be taking a brief rest and massaging his knuckles.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, November 15, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try putting 25s on the ONES shelf (clear off any others) just one deep, and try putting ones on the TENS shelf in stacks of ten.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

i wonder if the 25's are actually like quarters... try putting them in stacks of 4 on the ONES shelf and see what happens....
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Try putting 25s on the ONES shelf (clear off any others) just one deep, and try putting ones on the TENS shelf in stacks of ten. Ok (does this). I've got the coins up there, and the old man looked at the TENS shelf for several seconds, then went back to his work.

Lewis: i wonder if the 25's are actually like quarters... try putting them in stacks of 4 on the ONES shelf and see what happens....Trav: Nothing happens.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clear the TENs shelf and put ten stacks of ten coins (all tens) on it.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If Rabrab's suggestion doesn't work, try making ten stacks of ten coins (all ones) on it.
Maybe try just putting one 25 on the ones shelf?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Barb: Clear the TENs shelf Trav: Ok (even though it seemed like we had something on it that interested the man)
and put ten stacks of ten coins (all tens) on it.
Trav: Ok, I did it

Jenn: If Rabrab's suggestion doesn't work, Trav: Which it may, but nothing has happened yet
try making ten stacks of ten coins (all ones) on it.
Maybe try just putting one 25 on the ones shelf?
Trav: I'll do this while I'm waiting - now we have one 25 on the ONES shelf, and ten stacks of ten 10's on the TENS shelf.

Trav: Soon after I got these coins arranged, a raggedy, toothless old woman came into the room carrying a canvas bag. She walked over to the ONES shelf, studied it, then moved over to the TENS shelf. She started removing entire stacks and placing the coins in the bag. As she got to the last stack of ten 10's, the old man held his hand up and said "Stop, leave that one!" The old woman giggled, winked at me, and quickly left the room.

Now there is one 25 coin on the ONES shelf, and a stack of ten 10's on the TENS shelf.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: A few minutes after the old woman left, the old man motioned for me to approach him, so I did. As I got to the table, he leaned forward and whispered to me "You don't really need me in order to get out of here, but I need you to help us both get out of here. The key is in the ONES and TENS," and he smiled and sat upright with his arms crossed.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try making one stack of each denomination and placing it on the tens shelf, each stack having 10 coins... so you would have ten ones, ten fives, ten tens, and ten 25's. then try placing one of each denomination on the ones shelf.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: try making one stack of each denomination and placing it on the tens shelf, each stack having 10 coins... so you would have ten ones, ten fives, ten tens, and ten 25's. then try placing one of each denomination on the ones shelf. Trav: Ok (does all of this). As soon as I get this arranged, the old man walks over to the ONES shelf and removes all coins except a single 5 coin. He then goes over to the TENS shelf and removes all but a stack of ten 1's. He drops the coins that he picked up onto the floor, then stands there shifting his gaze from me to the shelves.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try putting fives and 25s on the ones shelf and ones and tens on the tens shelf.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: try putting fives and 25s on the ones shelf and ones and tens on the tens shelf. Trav: Ok, but give me some advice on how many coins to put on the shelves, and in what fashion.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm... put the ones and tens on the tens shelf in stacks of ten, and try just putting single fives and 25s on the ones shelf.
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, it seems that one stack of ten 10's on the TENS shelf is right. (Or close to right. Or on the way to right.) Let's leave that alone for now.

Put one 1 on the ONES shelf. (I don't remember, have we had this configuration before?)