Archive through November 17, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [tigger32382] Mission! » Archive through November 17, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

press green, red, blue, black in that order and see what happens... Okay...
Again, when I press green, I get "IITGDT" Red gives me "LFYNOIT" blue gives me "SFHSOH" and the squiggly button gives me "TTITWI"
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try different pairs of colors and see if the overlapping letters spell something else...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try different pairs of colors and see if the overlapping letters spell something else... Okay... every time I press two buttons together, I get gobbeldy gook. It doesn't seem to matter which combinations I try.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm.... trying to pronounce LFYNOIT "L-if-I-NO-IT" seems to describe our current situation... I'm thinking there's some way we need to "decode" these groups of letters in some way...
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the various sets of letters all on the same line when they're lit? or are they on two or more lines? Are they evenly spaced?
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Since you don't have a pen or pencil (you don't do you?) I've written out the letters and taken a look at them. I'll wait on the answer to my previous question for verification of what I think I've found...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmmm.... trying to pronounce LFYNOIT "L-if-I-NO-IT" seems to describe our current situation... I'm thinking there's some way we need to "decode" these groups of letters in some way... Keep me posted if you come up with anything

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:00 pm:

Are the various sets of letters all on the same line when they're lit? or are they on two or more lines? Are they evenly spaced? Well, because of the size limitations of the piece of paper, those six to seven characters are all that can fit. So when all the lights are flipped at once, the letters are superimposed on one another. Do you think there's a way we could make sense of this?

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Wednesday, November 16, 2005 - 11:03 pm:

Since you don't have a pen or pencil (you don't do you?) I've written out the letters and taken a look at them. I'll wait on the answer to my previous question for verification of what I think I've found... please share any ideas! I'm getting desperate to discover my mission!
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LFYNOIT
IITGDT
SFHSOH
TTITWI

I'll speak for Rab and myself on this one, since we confirmed our suspicions... reading letters by column, top to bottom, then left to right by what I show above, spells out LIST FIFTY THINGS TO DO WITH IT...

now *what* is "IT"?
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK, if you were to take the letters that are revealed by each light and write them in lines, one after another, in order from to top bottom: red, green, blue, squiggle; it comes out like this:

LFYNOIT
I.ITGDT
SFHSOH
TTITWI

which, if you read down the columns in order, left to right, says "List fifty things to do with it."

However, I have no idea what "IT" is, or how you need to list the fifty things, or if there are fifty specific things that you need to list. I suppose we could try fifty words containing "it", or you could sing Paul Simon's "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover", or list fifty things that can be done with a piece of paper. Or a picture frame. or a sombrero. Or a safe.

Oh, heck. Just say "List fifty things to do with it," out loud, and keep an eye on the door. If it shows any sign of opening, run for it and hope you can get out.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis, you type faster than I do.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, Rab, you were the one that actually took the time to offer a legitimate suggestion...
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, after doing the Mexican Hat Dance actually worked I begin to suspect that this is a truly bizarre Mission, and that anything's worth trying. Including singing Paul Simon.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LFYNOIT
IITGDT
SFHSOH
TTITWI

I'll speak for Rab and myself on this one, since we confirmed our suspicions... reading letters by column, top to bottom, then left to right by what I show above, spells out LIST FIFTY THINGS TO DO WITH IT...

now *what* is "IT"?

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:04 am:

OK, if you were to take the letters that are revealed by each light and write them in lines, one after another, in order from to top bottom: red, green, blue, squiggle; it comes out like this:

LFYNOIT
I.ITGDT
SFHSOH
TTITWI

which, if you read down the columns in order, left to right, says "List fifty things to do with it." Awesome! You guys are the best

However, I have no idea what "IT" is, Uh oh, I don't know either! or how you need to list the fifty things, or if there are fifty specific things that you need to list. I suppose we could try fifty words containing "it", or you could sing Paul Simon's "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover", or list fifty things that can be done with a piece of paper. Or a picture frame. or a sombrero. Or a safe.

Oh, heck. Just say "List fifty things to do with it," out loud, and keep an eye on the door. If it shows any sign of opening, run for it and hope you can get out. Nice try, but that doesn't work.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Mehitabel used to say, "Wothehell, wotthehell."
Sing "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover".
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As Mehitabel used to say, "Wothehell, wotthehell."
Sing "Fifty Ways to Leave Your Lover". Okay (I bellow it out at the top of my lungs.) Well, that was a jolly good concert, but nothing happens.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Didn't really think it would work.

Ok, let's try "fifty things to do with a piece of paper":
Write a note on it.
Draw on it.
Crumple it up and throw it at your cat.
Blow your nose into it.
Make a paper airplane.
That's 5. This is gonna be a long haul.
Do origami.
Fold it into a paper football and disrupt study hall.
Tear it into tiny pieces and have your very own ticker-tape parade.
Fold it up and use it to wedge an organ key down. Hi, Ix!
Use it as a bookmark.
That's 10.
Paint on it.
Type on it.
Feed it through your printer.
Color on it.
Wrap fishheads in it.
15. Sigh.
Line a birdcage with it.
Shred it and use it for gerbil bedding.
Burn it.
Roll a cigarette.
Make spitwads.
Fold/roll it into a wad and plug a hole with it.
Soak up spilled coffee with it.
That's 22. I'm tapped out.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

23. make a paper snowflake
24. write down your next lateral puzzle
25. stand on it in lieu of a stepstool to reach something above your head
26. shred really fine, soak in water, then make a new sheet of your own paper from the fibers
27. develop an acquired immunity to the pain of papercuts (OUCH!)
28. save your chewed bubble gum for later...
29. save someone else's chewed bubble gum for later (for *them*, of course!)
30. take with you to a boring meeting and *pretend* to take notes
31. fold into an envelope
32. create a postal label and mail yourself somewhere
33. make some (very poor) handwritten counterfeit currency
34. use it to store your loose paper clips in an organized fashion
35. put it in a picture frame!:O
36. make it into a picture frame
37. make it a matte to go in a picture frame
38. write down your favorite web address: http://www.lateralpuzzles.com/discus/index.htm
39. fold up and use as a teabag
40. use as a coffee filter
41. use it to cover the annoying streetlight shining through that hole in the blinds at night that keeps you awake
42. cut into a zigzag pattern such that it turns into a huge loop and wear it as a belt
43. Practice your "fingerprint detective" skills using your pocket lint. :O
44. add some fiber to your diet
45. invent a new use for paper
46. send a memo announcing your new invention
47. roll into a tube and use as a straw
48. roll into a tube and play it like a trumpet (i've done this before!)
49. use instead of a cup for measuring sand
50. roll up the coins Trav threw out the keyhole so we can take them to the bank...

*WHEW*! let's see if this gets us anywhere...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well, whether this works or not, now we know that Tigger does indeed have a sadistic side...
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we both need to go to bed. We're punchy. And if this doesn't work, think how much fun we can have coming up with fifty uses for a sombrero. Or a safe.

On the other hand, she might be so amused that she'll give it to us, even if it's not what she had in mind. Ya never can tell...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

let's hope so... we'd have our work cut out for us if it was the picture frame itself... :)

Goodnight!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I must say kudos to you for the impressive and amusing list... but that gets Norman nowhere.

And because I know I'm being totally sadistic, I'll give you a hint and let you know that "it" did make an appearance on your list.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it...:

==>insert list of 50 items in above posts>?