[Buzzard] And pass the ammunition... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [Buzzard] And pass the ammunition « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 22, 2005Mosquito22 11-22-05  9:44 am
Archive through November 25, 2005Johanna22 11-25-05  1:37 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am confused. Is the song from which the title comes "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am confused. Is the song from which the title comes "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition"? no - apologies for choosing a lyric to quote that is the same as the title to another song entirely :(
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will it help to identify the song from which the title comes? Is the other song by the same artist(s)?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Will it help to identify the song from which the title comes? it might Is the other song by the same artist(s)? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the title song, then, include the words "and pass the ammunition"? Does the other song?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the title song, then, include the words "and pass the ammunition"? I am not sure what you are asking. The title of this puzzle does indeed come from a song that includes the words "and pass the ammunition", but you hardly needed to ask me about that. :) The title of that song, however, does not Does the other song? The song that I played, watched, and listened to does not include the words "and pass the ammunition".
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sin Wagon?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sin Wagon? quite right. Now then...
Valiko Mizandari (Mimino)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a Christopher Cross song from which the title is taken?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is it a Christopher Cross song from which the title is taken? Not unless this Christopher Cross had anything to do with "Sin Wagon" by the Dixie Chicks
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never heard anything of Dixie Chicks, unfortunately. We're somewhat cut off the world at the moment.

So the song you were listening, watching and playing was Dixie music?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never heard anything of Dixie Chicks, unfortunately. We're somewhat cut off the world at the moment. you're not missing much

So the song you were listening, watching and playing was Dixie music? no, but "Sin Wagon" might help you identify the song I was listening to, watching, and playing
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the occasion of the heavy and rather unusual for this region snowfall that came upon us today you might be interested to know that "gain snow" is an anagram of "sin wagon" ...

Is it something specific about the lyrics of "Sin Wagon"? the words "sin wagon"? the fact that "sin" means "without" in Latin?

The movie "The cuckoo" relevant?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

On the occasion of the heavy and rather unusual for this region snowfall that came upon us today you might be interested to know that "gain snow" is an anagram of "sin wagon" ... curious :)

Is it something specific about the lyrics of "Sin Wagon"? no the words "sin wagon"? yope the fact that "sin" means "without" in Latin? no

The movie "The cuckoo" relevant? no
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the song in question sung by Bonnie Lockhart?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was the song in question sung by Bonnie Lockhart? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the song to which you listened (played, watched) contain the word "sin" in its title? the word "wagon"? is it concerned with sins? with trains?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the song to which you listened (played, watched) contain the word "sin" in its title? no the word "wagon"? yes is it concerned with sins? with trains? neither
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wagon Wheel?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wagon Wheel? indeed - and the rest should be easy
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or maybe not. :) But well done, in any case, for not taking this in the direction in which I would have to tell you that the song in question is yopeishly by Bob Dylan.
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the lyrics of "Wagon Wheel" relevant?
Other than they mention fiddler, guitar, and banjo?

So is then the strange thing: playing the song "wagon wheel", compared to listening to a recording of this song?
and the even stranger thing: watching one particular live performance of this song, compared to playing this song?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the lyrics of "Wagon Wheel" relevant? yes
Other than they mention fiddler, guitar, and banjo? indeed

So is then the strange thing: playing the song "wagon wheel", compared to listening to a recording of this song? yes
and the even stranger thing: watching one particular live performance of this song, compared to playing this song? yes
Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there anything left to figure out?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is there anything left to figure out? yes
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the relevant part of the song Wagon Wheel include the verse that mentions fiddler, banjo, and guitar?

Did you play the song on the guitar? on the fiddle? on the banjo?

The song is about hitchhiking, isn't it? Relevant?
Is there something strange about the route mentioned in the song?

Relevant that you have lived in North Carolina (as I saw from your profile)? and the song mentions Raleigh NC? Are you from Raleigh NC?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the relevant part of the song Wagon Wheel include the verse that mentions fiddler, banjo, and guitar? yes

Did you play the song on the guitar? this on the fiddle? on the banjo?

The song is about hitchhiking, isn't it? in part Relevant? no
Is there something strange about the route mentioned in the song? no

Relevant that you have lived in North Carolina (as I saw from your profile)? no and the song mentions Raleigh NC? Are you from Raleigh NC? irrel
Posted on Tuesday, November 29, 2005 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm running out of ideas .. So is, then, the strange thing to sing "I pick a banjo now", while actually playing a guitar?
maybe I better give up and go to get a bottle of wine ..yes, thanks to the extraordinary cold weather we'll have the first ice wine for more than 62 years, only a few wine growers took this possibility into account and left some grapes over .. we won't have much more than 200 bottles of this wine in the whole Zhinvali region .. a wine not for drinking but for investment .. well, except for some degustation when the wine is being bottled .. you have to know your local wine grower very well .. yes, that's it.
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm running out of ideas you only need one idea, as long as it is the right one... .. So is, then, the strange thing to sing "I pick a banjo now", while actually playing a guitar? ...which this is
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Come on, this is almost done :)

******** RECAP ********

The puzzle statement refers to the performance of the song "Wagon Wheel", in particular the lines:

Running from the cold, up in New England
I was born to be a fiddler in an old town string band
My baby plays the guitar
I pick a banjo now.

I sang this song once (in public!) while accompanying myself on the guitar, and it occurred to me that it was a bit strange to sing the preceding lines while playing a guitar. So, why is this stranger than listening to the CD (trivial) and why is it less strange than watching a live performance (nontrivial, but still easy)?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the live performers play a banjo?
If not, is the instrument they use relvant?

Does the CD performer use a guitar?
If not is the / are instruments on the CD version relevant?

Is there a relevant illustration on the CD sleeve?

Is Waggon Wheel a brand of "Country" music? If so, it might explain a lot.

How many albums and CD's have you published?

Are fiddles relvant?

Is the "baby" a literal baby?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the live performers play a banjo? One of the back-up musicians might. I forget
If not, is the instrument they use relvant? yes

Does the CD performer use a guitar? One of them might. I forget.
If not is the / are instruments on the CD version relevant? not really

Is there a relevant illustration on the CD sleeve? no

Is Waggon Wheel a brand of "Country" music? it might be classified thusly If so, it might explain a lot. why?

How many albums and CD's have you published? CDs of me singing and playing? There exists no such thing, and the world is probably glad for this.

Are fiddles relvant? yes

Is the "baby" a literal baby? In the context of the song, it means "significant other", but this does not matter for the puzzle
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, very well. Time to put this poor puzzle out of its misery...

************ SPOILER ************

The puzzle statement refers to the performance of the song "Wagon Wheel", in particular the lines:

Running from the cold, up in New England
I was born to be a fiddler in an old town string band
My baby plays the guitar
I pick a banjo now.

I sang this song once (in public!) while accompanying myself on the guitar, and it occurred to me that it was a bit strange to sing the preceding lines while playing a guitar. But even stranger is a live performance of the song by the Old Crow Medicine Show (whose song, after all, it is), in which the singer accompanies himself on the fiddle (and backup musicians play various other instruments. Of course, on the CD, you can't tell who's playing what instrument, or whether the singer is playing any instrument at all.

Apologies to all who participated. Better puzzle is on its way.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: