Archive through November 17, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [tigger32382] Mission! » Archive through November 17, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

is it...:

==>insert list of 50 items in above posts>? No. Hmm... I wonder if anything I have on me could be useful here...
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding wwhat Norman has in his pockets.:

Quote:

let's see, there's some old lint, a few quarters, last week's bus ticket, and a paper clip.

Our list of fifty things included pocket lint and paper clips (and coins.)
Is it pocket lint? a paperclip? a coin?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Our list of fifty things included pocket lint and paper clips (and coins.)
Is it pocket lint? a paperclip? a coin? Well, I guess we won't know until we try... Maybe this is related to that classic test of creativity about thinking of as many uses for a paper clip as you can? (Hint hint)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Man, you guys did good with those letter combinations, it would have taken me longer to get to it from that angle (glad I could help you with an item on that list, Barb). Can anyone think of anything significant about the number 50 that has to do with paperclips, bus tickets, lint or pocket change?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Norman, try saying the names of the 50 US states out loud - does that seem to make anything happen?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Norman, try saying the names of the 50 US states out loud - does that seem to make anything happen?

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas.... Maryland, Massachussetts, ... Wyoming

It made my voice really hoarse, but nothing has changed in the room.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hark! A hint! Thank you, Tigger. Now maybe I can get some actual work done today instead of rambling about making lists of fifty things to do with random things.

Fifty things to do with a paper clip:

Clip papers together (well, duh.)
Straighten out one end and clean under your fingernails.
Straighten out one end, and use it to clean the gunk out from between the keys on your keyboard.
Slide it under something that rocks, -just a little- to even it up.
Clean your ears with it.
Use it as a keyring.
Use it to attach your dog's tags to his collar.
Pick a lock with it.
Use it as a bookmark.
Throw it at your co-worker to get their attention when they're on the phone.
Play tiddly-winks.
Bend it out straight and use it to stir your coffee.
Use it to hold your glasses together when the hinge screw falls out and you can't find it.
Use it to open an envelope.
Unbend it halfway and amuse yourself by making it hop around your desk.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, well that was a stab. I wondered if the '50 Things You Can Do' with the bus ticket is go to the 50 states (this would be tricky with Hawaii, but like I said it was a stab).

Has the room gotten any lighter? Darker? Are you sure that the only things in the room are the buttons and the frame on the wall, now holding the piece of paper?
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Nice lateral leap on the bus ticket, Ix; I wouldn't have thought of that.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hark! A hint! Thank you, Tigger. Now maybe I can get some actual work done today instead of rambling about making lists of fifty things to do with random things.

Fifty things to do with a paper clip:

Clip papers together (well, duh.)
Straighten out one end and clean under your fingernails.
Straighten out one end, and use it to clean the gunk out from between the keys on your keyboard.
Slide it under something that rocks, -just a little- to even it up.
Clean your ears with it.
Use it as a keyring.
Use it to attach your dog's tags to his collar.
Pick a lock with it.
Use it as a bookmark.
Throw it at your co-worker to get their attention when they're on the phone.
Play tiddly-winks.
Bend it out straight and use it to stir your coffee.
Use it to hold your glasses together when the hinge screw falls out and you can't find it.
Use it to open an envelope.
Unbend it halfway and amuse yourself by making it hop around your desk.
15 Hmm... the room seems to be getting lighter and lighter as you rattle off this list. Seems like we're on the right track!

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 03:50 pm:

Ok, well that was a stab. I wondered if the '50 Things You Can Do' with the bus ticket is go to the 50 states (this would be tricky with Hawaii, but like I said it was a stab). Creative thinking!

Has the room gotten any lighter? It is getting lighter as I am reading off this list of things to do with a paper clip. Darker? Are you sure that the only things in the room are the buttons and the frame on the wall, now holding the piece of paper? Very
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few more:

Use it to fix a broken necklace.
Make a chain.
Use it as a roach-clip
Bend out one end and use it to fish the cotton wad out of the aspirin bottle.
Use it to scratch off a lottery ticket.

That's five more--for 20
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis, Ix---Help!

Use the end to scratch your name into the top of your desk (what, you never enagaged in petty vandalism in school?)
Unbend it and pretend you're playing the trombone.
Put it on the end of a piece of string, and tease the cat with it.
Throw it at the teacher when he's not looking.
Throw it at a classmate and try to get them in trouble.

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A few more:

Use it to fix a broken necklace.
Make a chain.
Use it as a roach-clip
Bend out one end and use it to fish the cotton wad out of the aspirin bottle.
Use it to scratch off a lottery ticket.

That's five more--for 20
The room is getting lighter still! Your creativity is clearly impressing somebody! :)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

16. string a bunch together and make a bracelet.
17. string a bunch together and make a makeshift radio antenna to replace the one you broke off.
18. bend into a corkscrew and open the champagne.
19. wear them as earrings.
20. make a good enough reason for the company to purchase a new electric pencil sharpener... :)(not that i'd ever *do* this, mind you...}
21. whittle the point and use with your blood sugar test kit when you run out of lancets...
22. pop some balloons.
23. use the point to open a package (like the plastic wrappers on junk foods that are supposed to open easily but don't)
24. reset your >insert small electronic device< by pressing that tiny button
25. pick your nose.
26. unfold them, then twist them into barbed wire to wrap around your feet for traction :O
27. try to electrocute a piece of fruit using the paperclip and the nearest outlet.

well, that's it for me for now... back later.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I think we're at 37...

Use it as a christmas tree ornament hook.
Use the end to poke holes in bubblewrap.
Use it to slit the tape holding a box shut.

40, and I really should be doing other things right now...
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Use it as a topic for creative lists
Poke people
Economize by using it to save binderclips
Bend it to make letters and thus communicate with a mute person or deaf person
melt it down for scrap metal
tear holes in paper
rip the cloth of my cubicle
annoy the boss and get fired
clip it to other paperclips to make a necklace
make matchbox houses with
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

then it's fifty now
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After this fantastic (and at times disturbing!) list, a voice booms out...

"CONGRATULATIONS... you have passed your pre-mission tests. We have determined that you have the creativity necessary to complete your mission.

Number 8 will let you in. Then, you must free the prisoner. He is a covert agent from our agency. There was an unfortunate accident where he was testing our new super-torture cage and got trapped inside. Only your brains will be able to let him out. Good luck.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't know what number we're on, but toss these into the stack...

- Soak in rubbing alcohol to sterilize, then poke through earlobes for home piercing
- Bend into triangular shape and use as clothes hanger in a dollhouse
- Make paper airplane, then add paperclip to the nose for proper weight and balance
- Use as starter link in a paperclip necklace
- Use as second link in aforementioned necklace
- Use as third link in previously mentioned necklace
- Use as fourth link in a paperclip necklace that a friend has started with 3 links and then ran out of paperclips
- Use as fifth link in a necklace
- Use as sixth link in necklace
- Use as seventh link in necklace
- Use as eigth link in necklace
- Use as ninth link in necklace
- Use as tenth link in necklace
- Straighten out, glue between two nickels as decorative barbell for pet mouse cage}
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh well...
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oh, I like the mouse barbell one!!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thanks, Barb!

By the way, Norman, what exactly happened after we rattled off the 50 uses for the paperclip? Is this cage in the same room you're already in? Did you go into another place? Fill us in on the latest...