Archive through November 17, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [tigger32382] Mission! » Archive through November 17, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I heard that voice, and nothing else. I wonder what "Number 8 will let you in" could have meant...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...ok, well then look around the room and tell us what you see now.
Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go push on the door.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmmm...ok, well then look around the room and tell us what you see now.

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 04:58 pm:

Go push on the door. Okay, I'm pushing on the door... nothing is happening. But looking at it (as Ix recommends) I see a small hole about where the handle should be
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number 8 in the list was "pick a lock with it". Assume the small hole is a keyhole, and use the paperclip to pick the lock.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Number 8 in the list was "pick a lock with it". Assume the small hole is a keyhole, and use the paperclip to pick the lock. Okay... done!!! The door opens, and I am let into a room with a cage in the middle of it. In the cage is a very sad looking secret agent. The cage has five different locks on it. There are also five carts around the room, but I can only get to two of them. The other three are on the far side of the room and there is a plexiglass door blocking my access to them. How do we get this guy out?!?
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is on the five carts? In detail, please?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is on the five carts? In detail, please? Well, I can only see the two that I have access to.... the light doesn't pass very well through the plexiglass. But on the two I can see...
One of them has seven blocks on it. They are a variety of colors. There is a red, a yellow, a blue, a green, a pink, a black, and a white on the cart. They are about two inches cubed. Next to the cart is a small table with seven depressions in it. They are square depressions, about 2 inches per side. Peering closely at the cart, I see that this, like my sombrero, was "Hecho en México." That is all I can see on this cart.
The second cart has a large mixing bowl on it. There are a variety of ingredients on the cart - flour, sugar, eggs, butter, chocolate chips, oil, water, and brown sugar. There is also a whisk. There is a recipe card on the cart with one word on it - "MIX"

Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chocolate chip cookies? yum.

OK, can you get to the cage? touch it? handle the locks? If you can, describe, again in as much detail as possible.

Then examine the Plexiglass wall. Does it have a door? are there track on the walls that it could slide up or down in? any evidence of a slot in either the floor or ceiling for it to retract into? anything that could be a lock or latching mechanism? any sort of keypad, keyhole, ot outlet/inlet slot or opening?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Chocolate chip cookies? yum.

OK, can you get to the cage? touch it? handle the locks? If you can, describe, again in as much detail as possible. I can get up to the cage... it is metal bars, floor to ceiling, about 3 inches in between each bar. The door is made of the same bars, they are just hooked together so that they could swing open, if it weren't for those darn locks. Each lock is different... one is a padlock needing a key, one is a padlock for which I can't see any keyhole, one has a four digit number combination, one has a five digit number combination, and one has a 9x9 grid where each square can be set to any one of the letters of the alphabet
Then examine the Plexiglass wall. Does it have a door? are there track on the walls that it could slide up or down in? any evidence of a slot in either the floor or ceiling for it to retract into? anything that could be a lock or latching mechanism? any sort of keypad, keyhole, ot outlet/inlet slot or opening? It looks like it can slide into the wall, but I can't see any latch or handle or anything to trigger the sliding. I try pushing on it and try to slide it myself, but it won't budge.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the dejected looking guy inside if he has any information that could possibly be relevant.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try 1009 on the 4-digit number combination lock.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ask the dejected looking guy inside if he has any information that could possibly be relevant. He just shakes his head sadly at me

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 07:33 pm:

Try 1009 on the 4-digit number combination lock.

And lock number one falls open! Wow, I did not expect that one to go so quickly... never underestimate the power of the puzzlers :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:)
I don't suppose you could pick one with the paperclip?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John, I'm curious how you got the '1009' combination correct so quickly...

Does Norman still have the sombrero with him?
If not, does he remember where he left it?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't suppose you could pick one with the paperclip? I try the paperclip on all of them, but nothing doing

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 08:11 pm:

John, I'm curious how you got the '1009' combination correct so quickly...

Does Norman still have the sombrero with him?
If not, does he remember where he left it? It's still on my head... I like this thing!
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye: Beware of words spelled in capital letters...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I must have missed a word in capital letters, John, still wondering...

Take off the sombrero and refresh us about the pattern of the colors on it, Norm...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Never mind, John, I see it now!
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Clever, John. I fell into exactly the trap that was waiting for me on that one...

IX, are you thinking what I'm thinking -- put the colored blocks in the depressions on the table in the same pattern as the colors are on the sombrero? But where to put red and black? Try it, putting black in the first and red in the last depression.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Take off the sombrero and refresh us about the pattern of the colors on it, Norm... Okay, it is blue pink green yellow white

By Ixoye724 (Ixoye724) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 08:28 pm:

Never mind, John, I see it now!

By Barbara Johannessen Bailey (Rabrab) on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 08:34 pm:

Clever, John. I fell into exactly the trap that was waiting for me on that one...

IX, are you thinking what I'm thinking -- put the colored blocks in the depressions on the table in the same pattern as the colors are on the sombrero? But where to put red and black? Try it, putting black in the first and red in the last depression. Okay... trying. nothing happens.
Posted on Thursday, November 17, 2005 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try red white pink yellow blue green black