Archive through November 25, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [Buzzard] And pass the ammunition » Archive through November 25, 2005 « Previous Next »

Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Tuesday, November 22, 2005 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the one that is similar to a guitar; is it a banjo? yes Ukelele? Balalaika? theorobo? lute? gju? an electric bass? I hope it is one of those, because I can't think of any others; but probably someone else can! fortunately, mandolins are not relevant

Does it matter exactly what instrument it is? yes

Is watching so strange because a performance is strange looking? Because attending one would be a strange choice of way in which to spend one's time? neither
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

******** RECAP/REFOCUS ********

Doing is stranger than listening, but not as strange as watching.

"Doing" refers to (a specific instance of) playing a piece of non-classical music, "listening" refers to listening to a musical recording, and "watching" refers to watching a musical performance (which, I grant, also involves some listening).

There are three musical instruments relevant: a violin (or fiddle), a guitar, and a banjo.

There is a specific song that is relevant, and that you need to identify. There's a good chance that you haven't heard of it before, but it's not that obscure. Use of google and any other reference material you care to use is allowed and encouraged.

Oh, and the title is relevant this time.
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Johanna! Nice to meet you once again here.

Is any of the following relevant here: folk music? Delmhorst? hurricane?

Did the "one relevant person" watch a music performance? a live performance? relevant where? (in a concert hall? in a pub? in a private house? in a shopping mall? in a school? outdoors?)

Busking relevant?
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

War song? Guns song? Weapons song?

Why is this becoming the rage all of a sudden?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ostap Bender (Ostap) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:44 pm:

Hi Johanna! Nice to meet you once again here. Hello yourself, Evariste. How are you?

Is any of the following relevant here: folk music? yes Delmhorst? no hurricane? no

Did the "one relevant person" watch a music performance? yes a live performance? yes relevant where? not really (in a concert hall? in a pub? in a private house? in a shopping mall? in a school? outdoors?)

Busking relevant? no

By Vae (Vaetrus) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 01:49 pm:

War song? Guns song? Weapons song? none of these

Why is this becoming the rage all of a sudden? I don't know about "the rage", but if people don't want to read hints, they shouldn't have to read them.
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 2:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't understand why you prefer to call me Evariste .. my name is Ostap Suleimanovich Bender. Or did you pick a nickname for me, knowing that I never would chose trout?

Was the music played by one person? by a group? by several soloists who appeared in sequence?
Did one person play all three instruments? in the same piece?
Levellers vs. McDermotts relevant?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I don't understand why you prefer to call me Evariste .. my name is Ostap Suleimanovich Bender. Or did you pick a nickname for me, knowing that I never would chose trout? No, it's just that the two of you look so much alike. Is Evariste your twin brother?

Was the music played by one person? by a group? this by several soloists who appeared in sequence?
Did one person play all three instruments? no in the same piece?
Levellers vs. McDermotts relevant? not as far as I know
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 3:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wrong guess, I don't have a twin brother. Perhaps I missed something .. my cousin has twin children (two boys) and it was quite interesting to watch them grow up. None of them was named Evariste, however.

So one group played folk music, and they played (among other instruments) banjo, violin, and guitar. Right?
Were the instruments played at the same time? in the same song? Did the name of the song refer to the instrument(s)?
Were the instrument (or one of them) played in an unusual way?
Did this happen in England? Relevant?
Is the lyrics of the song(s) relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a bit lost here - is the idea that you have, at some point, played? listened to? watched? a particular piece of music?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ostap Bender (Ostap) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 03:13 pm:

So one group played folk music, and they played (among other instruments) banjo, violin, and guitar. Right? no/irrel
Were the instruments played at the same time? no/irrel in the same song? yes Did the name of the song refer to the instrument(s)? no
Were the instrument (or one of them) played in an unusual way? no
Did this happen in England? some of it Relevant? not really
Is the lyrics of the song(s) relevant? yes

By David Burn (Woubit) on Wednesday, November 23, 2005 - 03:19 pm:

I am a bit lost here - is the idea that you have, at some point, played? listened to? watched? a particular piece of music? I have done all three.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a little confused -- all of the main activities associated with this piece of music are strange, but it is not relevant whether they have actually been done?

Would it be strange any time the piece is performed? Watched? Listened to?

Would it be strange if other instruments were used instead?

Will this puzzle last to the end J ?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I am a little confused -- all of the main activities associated with this piece of music are strange listening is not especially strange - doing and watching are the strange ones, but it is not relevant whether they have actually been done? they have all been done

Would it be strange any time the piece is performed? not necessarily Watched? not necessarily Listened to? no

Would it be strange if other instruments were used instead? possibly - it depends what other instruments and how they are "used"

Will this puzzle last to the end J ?the end of what?
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there only one song relevant? is it a well-known one? is it not the one from which the title of this puzzle is taken?
Did you watch the live performance?
Did you listen to a recorded performance of this song/these songs before? after watching the live performance? if so: performed by the same people? played with the same instruments?
were the people who played this music professional musicians? were they paid for their performance? did they play just for fun? was it a rehearsal?
did you play music yourself during this event? if so: did you ask for? were you invited? did you play solo? together with others? relevant which instrument you played? did you sing?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there only one song relevant? yes is it a well-known one? it is by no means universally known, but feel free to use any reference material you like is it not the one from which the title of this puzzle is taken? it is not
Did you watch the live performance? yes
Did you listen to a recorded performance of this song/these songs before? after watching the live performance? I have listened to a recording of the song many times, both before and after seeing the song performed live if so: performed by the same people? yes played with the same instruments? irrelevant
were the people who played this music professional musicians? yes, but irrelevant were they paid for their performance? yes, but irrelevant did they play just for fun? no, but irrelevant was it a rehearsal? no, but irrelevant
did you play music yourself during this event? no if so: did you ask for? were you invited? did you play solo? together with others? relevant which instrument you played? did you sing?
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 11:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you play this song yourself? if so: before watching the life performance? afterwards? did you also sing the lyrics while you were playing?
Do the lyrics of the song mention banjo? fiddle? guitar?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did you play this song yourself? I have done so, yes if so: before watching the life performance? afterwards? it is irrelevant when (except that it wasn't at the same time as I was watching the live performance) did you also sing the lyrics while you were playing? yes
Do the lyrics of the song mention banjo? fiddle? guitar? they mention all three
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, November 24, 2005 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the end of what? It is disappointing when puzzles go away .
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 9:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It is disappointing when puzzles go away Well, ask some questions, then. :)
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was interested in your other puzzles, and was sad when they disappeared .

So is it the lyrics of the song that are strange?

Is something done besides the "normal" playing of instruments and singing along? Dancing? Miming? Costumes involved?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was interested in your other puzzles, and was sad when they disappeared. yes, I understand, and I am sorry about that. My point is that the likelihood that you will finish this puzzle before other things unexpectedly start happening in my life again depends on how quickly you finish the puzzle. :)

So is it the lyrics of the song that are strange? not by themselves, they're not

Is something done besides the "normal" playing of instruments and singing along? no Dancing? Miming? Costumes involved? none of these
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a folk song? A traditional song? A hymn? Is praising the Lord relevant? Is the song about war?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a folk song? Stylistically, it might be classified as folk, country, or bluegrass A traditional song? no A hymn? no Is praising the Lord relevant? It is relevant to the song from which the title comes (which is not the same as the song that the puzzle is about) Is the song about war? neither song is about war