Archive through November 28, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [Beroean] Everyone is Beautiful » Archive through November 28, 2005 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, November 25, 2005 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

equation

I'm no mathematician, so I'm relying on you to tell me if this equation for the BGE is accurate or not.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Saturday, November 26, 2005 - 11:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If BGE stands for "Big Glistening Equation", then yes.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If BGE stands for "Big Glistening Equation", then yes. Unfortunately it doesn't :-(
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So... Beta is found by A times n squared, by delta times S (change in something?) plus 1, all over, square root of L (length?) times initial velocity squared?

I'm assuming physics? I'm assuming something to do with alittle kinematics? atoms? Radiation?

Is this actually a puzzle? Cuz I feel alittle overly interested when I have no idea what this is all about, nor do I know anything about physics, really.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vae

So... Beta is found by A times n squared, by delta times S (change in something?) plus 1, all over, square root of L (length?) times initial velocity squared? Well, I'm no mathematician, so I can't say.

I'm assuming physics? I suppose there is some physics involved but I can't be sure as I'm no scientist but I do suggest that chemistry, physiology and psychology are involved at the very least.

I'm assuming something to do with alittle kinematics? atoms? Radiation? I don't know about that but it's far more down to earth than that.

Is this actually a puzzle? That was the premise for inclusion on the forum. But, maybe it's not a very good puzzle. If that's the case, I accept the criticism and am happy to withdraw it (delete it).

Cuz I feel alittle overly interested when I have no idea what this is all about, Well that could be said of numerous puzzles on the forum when you first read their puzzle statements, it's anybody's guess as to what it's all about and it's not until some lines of enquiry are made that you can see what the host is asking for. But, as I said, I'm happy to delete it - just say the word and it will disappear.

nor do I know anything about physics, really. Well at least we have something in common. Anyway you don't need to know anything about physics to play this puzzle. However if the distinct lack of interest continues in the next 48 hours I will remove it.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm game if this is a lateral puzzle and not a straightforward maths puzzle. But first - am I likely to be able to solve it or at least make appropriate questions towards solving it? The bit about psychology is intriguing.
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ok, the thing before the equal sign is the greek letter beta, which can mean chemical radiation. The thing before the S plus 1 is the greek letter delta, which can mean partial charge. Both chemistry and some physics. But definately science.

The L usually represents length. And Vo can be initial velocity, both of which are physics:kinematics.

physiology and psychology

How can you be sure? What does BGE stand for anyway?

The S is linked to math, from my knowledge, and be can sum or deviation. The n is usually just any number, and n is commonly used as a variable. That leaves A. And I'm stumped.

Are you just looking for an answer to that question? Can't you just search it up?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a real equation from a textbook or something similar?
Is it an attempt to describe a human being in mathematical terms?
Is it a joke?
Do we need to figure out what all the terms represent?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm game if this is a lateral puzzle and not a straightforward maths puzzle. But first - am I likely to be able to solve it or at least make appropriate questions towards solving it? The bit about psychology is intriguing.

Lynne
It's not a Maths puzzle. It's supposed to be a bit of fun, discovering what the equation is for. Once that has been revealed I wondered if the mathematicians on the forum could tell us if the equation is accurate. But I seem to find myself saying too much for a yes/no/yope scenario!

But maybe I've not found the right flavour to interest the palates of the current punters.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BGE - Baltimore Gas and Electric co.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Vae

Ok, the thing before the equal sign is the greek letter beta, which can mean chemical radiation. The thing before the S plus 1 is the greek letter delta, which can mean partial charge. Both chemistry and some physics. But definately science. Iím not so sure about the specifics

The L usually represents length. And Vo can be initial velocity, both of which are physics:kinematics. In this equation I donít believe L relates to velocity

physiology and psychology

How can you be sure? Iíll wait for you to tell me but in the meantime I know what it's supposed to be about.
What does BGE stand for anyway? Thatís what you need to discover

The S is linked to math, from my knowledge, and be can sum or deviation. The n is usually just any number, and n is commonly used as a variable. That leaves A. And I'm stumped.

Are you just looking for an answer to that question? No
Can't you just search it up? This is supposed to be a lateral puzzle (even if it is a poor one)

John
Is this a real equation from a textbook or something similar? Good question - I'm not sure
Is it an attempt to describe a human being in mathematical terms? Explore
Is it a joke? Good question - explore
Do we need to figure out what all the terms represent? Not necessarily but it would help
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

BGE - Baltimore Gas and Electric co Have you been googling? I googled and was pleased to see that I couldn't find it there.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Of course I've been Googling but I'd have hit the floor if I was right :O
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ray Stevens relevant?
Vae (Vaetrus)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've just spent alot of time looking up the uses for alpha, beta, and delta. And I've concluded: I know nothing.

That said. I think I'm in over my head and way too deep. But here's another dive.

Does the equation relate to the mind? The pysche?
The body? A physical attribute? A mental attribute? Something neurological?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is Ray Stevens relevant? No - just the line from his song
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is BGE something to do with greater or equal?
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything to do with the Theory Of Everything (TOE)?
Do any of the letters represent terms from physics? chemistry? physiology? psychology?
Does b represent the BGE?
Does B stand for Beautiful?
Does E stand for Everything?
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Oops, misread the title
Does E stand for Everyone?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, November 27, 2005 - 11:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

but the pedant would say that the line should be everything not everyone
Have you deliberately said Everyone rather than Everything?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've just spent alot of time looking up the uses for alpha, beta, and delta. And I've concluded: I know nothing. another thing we have in common

That said. I think I'm in over my head and way too deep. But here's another dive. Good for you

Does the equation relate to the mind? yesish
The pysche? yesish
The body? yope
A physical attribute? yope
A mental attribute? yope
Something neurological? yope

Sorry to be so vague, it's difficult to answer these questions accurately
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Monday, November 28, 2005 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What about BridGEt the Midget?