Archive through December 01, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #2 » Archive through December 01, 2005 « Previous Next »

Author Message
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As promised, Trav's next Lateral Adventure is ready. For basic rules and strategy, review Trav's first puzzle in the 'Solved Puzzle' section.

This sequel will be a bit more challenging (maybe, we never can be sure), and will have a bit more commentary from Trav regarding what he sees, hears, notices, etc. Also, there will be an indication with each post that will give a brief description of Trav's location.

Keep in mind that the solution or exit path to any room may require several steps, some of which may be strange or even unthinkable - but just as with lateral puzzles, you cannot assume anything!

Please have fun!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 9:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Outside a Stone Wall

Trav: Greetings to all returning and new players! This journey should be as much fun as the last one, maybe better, I guess we'll see. At any rate, I'll need your brains to get me through this series of rooms and situations, so let's go!

Ahead of me is a high stone wall with a wooden door, which I suppose is the entrance to the first room...

I've pushed the wooden door open, and I'm now looking into a large open courtyard. There seems to be a lot of things to see here (I'll describe them in a moment). Among other things, there is a man standing in the center of the courtyard - he's wearing sunglasses, a palm-tree print Hawaiin shirt, khaki shorts and sandals. He is motioning for me to approach him, so I guess I should...wait a second! Now I recognize him, it's the guy from the first puzzle who supervised my actions in the Sand/Bucket room! "Good to see you," he says. I'm aware now that a helicopter has descended and is hovering about 20 feet overhead. The copter lowers a rope, and another man comes sliding down it and lands next to me. He quickly runs over to the door where I entered, pushes it closed and locks it. "Glad to see you are going to try this one!" yells the man standing next to me. The other man has now run back to where I am standing and has begun climbing up the rope. The noise from the copter's rotors is quite loud. As the man grabs hold of the rope and the copter starts to rise, the man yells out to me "By the way, don't forget to..." his voice fades out as the copter rises and moves away out of sight. I noticed that as he was speaking he was pointing to the northwest corner of the courtyard. Hmmm...don't forget to...what? I wonder what I'm not supposed to forget to do?

LOCATION: Courtyard

Anyway, now I'm all alone in this courtyard, which is about the size of a soccer field. The courtyard is completely surrounded by the stone wall, which is roughly fifteen feet high. Behind me to the south is the door which I entered through (which is securely locked). Along the west wall is a pile of lumber, looks to be many boards of various sizes. Next to the pile of lumber is a wooden box marked "nails", and there is a hammer on top of the box. Along the east wall I see a barrel. In the northwest corner of the yard there is a small shed built from the same stone as the wall is made of. The shed has an entrance with a wooden door which is closed. Last but not least, standing about twenty feet from me is a large elephant.

Well I am sure there is a way out of here - any suggestions on what I should do first?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Find out (if you can) what, if anything, is inside the box, the barrel, and the shed.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, November 30, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yay! I've been waiting for this :)

I'll wait for what you should do until you answer John.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Courtyard

John: Find out (if you can) what, if anything, is inside the box, the barrel, and the shed.
Trav: Ok, will do -
The box contains two nails
The barrel is full of peanuts
Inside the shed I see some cleaning
supplies (brooms, mops, brushes),
a bullwhip and three backpacks.
Lauren (Lauren)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hooray, I've been wanting to try one of these types of puzzles... I always come in too late. I suppose I could always have read the archives and caught up, but I have a tinge of laziness and a rather short attention span :P

Take the backpacks, please. Can you wear all three at once?
Does the elephant look dangerous?
If not, please take a peanut out of the barrel, and try feeding it to the elephant.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye: Welcome to the puzzle, enjoy!

LOCATION: Courtyard

Lauren: Take the backpacks, please. Can you wear all three at once? Trav: No, only one at a time.
Does the elephant look dangerous? Trav: Well no, not really, he is just standing calmly flapping his ears.
If not, please take a peanut out of the barrel, and try feeding it to the elephant.
Trav: Ok (gets a peanut and walks to the elephant). He sniffed at it and took it from my hand, then he ate it.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 7:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Anything inside the three backpacks?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Courtyard

John: Anything inside the three backpacks?
Trav: Yes and no - one backpack is empty, the other two appear to be parachutes.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What color is the elephant? If he is white, try talking about him and see if he disappears.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Courtyard

Jenn: What color is the elephant?
Trav: Gray
If he is white, try talking about him and see if he disappears. Trav: Hmmm, interesting idea, but I've tried talking about him in every way I can and he's still right here...
Ixoye: Nice lateral idea though!
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's consider the available options:
If you were on top of the shed's roof, would you be able to climb over the wall?
or maybe from the elephant's back?
are the wooden planks strong enough to build a ramp for the elephant, high enough that you could reach the top of the wall from the elephant's back?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does anything in the shed look dirty? or in the courtyard in general?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does the elephant look like a circus animal? Try cracking the bullwhip around him a few times and see how he reacts.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Courtyard

Jens: Let's consider the available options:
If you were on top of the shed's roof, would you be able to climb over the wall? Trav: No, for two reasons: 1) The shed is just slightly taller than I am, probably just over six feet tall. The combined height of me and the shed would be about 12 feet, leaving me a 3 foot jump. 2) The roof of the shed is made apparently from some kind of thatch and straw combined with long brown shafts that resemble bamboo. It's enough to keep out rain, but I highly doubt it would support my weight. I'm not opposed to trying, but this are my observations.
or maybe from the elephant's back? Trav: Well, based on the elephant's height, my guess is that by standing upright on its back, I could just reach upward enough to perform a pull-up to bring myself eye-level to the top of the wall. Assuming the elephant didn't then move out from under me I could lower myself back down onto its back. I would not be able to pull myself up onto the wall from its back, though, at least looking at it from this angle.
are the wooden planks strong enough to build a ramp for the elephant, high enough that you could reach the top of the wall from the elephant's back? Trav: Now this is a great suggestion, but there are some issues here as well: 1) There is only one plank that looks to be anywhere near long enough to do this, the plank looks like it's maybe 10 feet long and 1 foot wide. 2) All the other planks are either very short (between 3 and 10 inches long and 2 inches wide) or much too flimsy to support that much weight. 3) There appears to be only two nails with which I could construct such a ramp.

Jenn: Does anything in the shed look dirty? Trav: No, not especially
or in the courtyard in general? Trav: Well there are a few piles of elephant poo on the ground, other than that nothing sticks out as especially dirty.

Lewis: does the elephant look like a circus animal? Trav: Hard to say - looks like an elephant you'd see at a circus, zoo, or maybe even on safari.
Try cracking the bullwhip around him a few times and see how he reacts. Trav: Ok (I like this idea). CRACK! The elephant was facing away from me, and immediately turned to face me as soon as the whip cracked. CRACK! Still facing me, the elephant shook his head from side to side a few times. CRACK! The elephant once again shook his head, then raised his trunk and trumpeted loudly.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Give him a few peanuts to reward him for listening to you.
Try showing the cleaning supplies to the elephant and see what he does. Try cleaning him.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Courtyard

Jenn: Give him a few peanuts to reward him for listening to you. Trav: Ok, I think he appreciated it.
Try showing the cleaning supplies to the elephant and see what he does. Trav: He doesn't react
Try cleaning him. Trav: Ok - I brushed him down good, he seemed to like it.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, what are the stones held together with? Try driving a nail into that material and see if it will go in. (Then take it right back out, please). How thick is the stone wall. If you were to get up to the top of it at one point, could you walk around on top of it? Finally, can you get up on the elephant's back? If not, try turning over the bucket from the tool shed and using that as a step. Can you reach now? If still not, try overturning the barrel of peanuts, letting the elephant munch happily, and using the barrel as a step. I'll give the rest of my idea after I get the answer to these questions.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Courtyard

Jenn: Okay, what are the stones held together with? Trav: I would assume it is mortar
Try driving a nail into that material and see if it will go in. (Then take it right back out, please). Trav: The nail goes in about half an inch, then the mortar begins to chip away and the nail falls out.
How thick is the stone wall. Trav: I don't know, it appears fairly thick
If you were to get up to the top of it at one point, could you walk around on top of it? Trav: I do not know - if someone can devise a way to get me up there I'll know for sure! Finally, can you get up on the elephant's back? Trav: Hmmm...well he's too high for me to mount like a horse, and there does not seem to be a device to let me up onto him
If not, try turning over the bucket from the tool shed and using that as a step. Trav: There's not a bucket in the tool shed, only some mops, broom, brushes, one empty backpack, two backpacks containing parachutes (I think).
Can you reach now? Still on the ground
If still not, try overturning the barrel of peanuts, letting the elephant munch happily, and using the barrel as a step. Trav: Ok (tips over peanut barrel). The elephant likes this, he's eating happily. I am able to get up onto his back with some effort. Now the problem is I'm too far away from the wall to try and look over it.
I'll give the rest of my idea after I get the answer to these questions. Trav: Ok, I can use some advice - this animal has no saddle and his back is a little bit slippery...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I'd like to see if you can get on the elephant while holding a bunch of stuff. Please get back down off the elephant the way you got on. First bring the ten foot long plank over to the wooden door and lean it up against the door the tall way. Then put the nails and hammer and a couple of the shorter boards in the empty backpack and put that on your back, along with the whip. Now take handfuls of peanuts and make a trail going over to the wooden door. If you need to hold the peanuts in the elephant's face and guide him, do that. Bring the barrel over there too. Get back up on the elephant. From there, take a shorter board out of the backpack and nail it to the wooden door. A few feet above that one, nail another short wooden board. Now try to stand carefully on the elephant. Reach out and you should be able to grasp the top of the wall. Use the boards that you nailed into the door as footholds/steps to help raise you up towards the top. Can you get up on the stone wall now? If so, walk around and tell me what you see.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Courtyard, Mounted Atop an Elephant

Jenn: Okay, I'd like to see if you can get on the elephant while holding a bunch of stuff. Trav: *chuckle* I'd like to see that too!
Please get back down off the elephant the way you got on. Trav: Ok (climbs down). I may have weakened the bottom of the barrel as I climbed down, I don't remember it creaking that much when I climbed up...
First bring the ten foot long plank over to the wooden door and lean it up against the door the tall way. Trav: Which wooden door do you want me to do this to?
Then put the nails and hammer and a couple of the shorter boards in the empty backpack and put that on your back, along with the whip. Trav: Ok, I've done this...
Now take handfuls of peanuts and make a trail going over to the wooden door. Trav: Ok, but you need to tell me which door
If you need to hold the peanuts in the elephant's face and guide him, do that. Trav: Ok, now I've tried this and the elephant seems to want to follow me wherever I go with the peanuts.
Bring the barrel over there too. Trav: Uhh...where?
Get back up on the elephant. Trav: I'll wait until further clarification
From there, take a shorter board out of the backpack and nail it to the wooden door. A few feet above that one, nail another short wooden board. Now try to stand carefully on the elephant. Reach out and you should be able to grasp the top of the wall. Use the boards that you nailed into the door as footholds/steps to help raise you up towards the top. Can you get up on the stone wall now? If so, walk around and tell me what you see. Trav: Read what I've tried so far, then let me know which door you want to go to in order to perform the other steps. Consider that, if I do this at the wooden door I entered through, any view I get will only show me the other side of the wall where I entered through, which is the starting point of the adventure. If I try this on the door to the shed, that door is less than 6 feet high, and too far away from the wall to lend much of a view.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well my thought was that if you got up to the top of the stone wall from the door where you entered, you could walk around the perimeter of the courtyard - does the wall not connect all the way around?