Archive through December 05, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #2 » Archive through December 05, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Well my thought was that if you got up to the top of the stone wall from the door where you entered, you could walk around the perimeter of the courtyard - does the wall not connect all the way around?
Trav: Ah, I see now what you were thinking. Yes, the wall is continuous all the way around. Now the issue with trying this maneuver at the entry door is that the door is encased by an archway which extends outward about two feet over the doorway, so it is not a flat surface going up to the wall's edge. Now, I can probably try this and at least be able to get back up onto the elephant, and he would be close enough that I could at least reach the wall's top. Let's try that...

Your idea with the crude steps worked nicely, and the elephant was patiently munching while I got up onto his back. He stood near enough to the wall where I could at least reach up and grab the top of the wall. To answer an earlier question, no, the top of this wall is not flat or suitable to walk on - as my hands reach the top and go over, I detect an immediate sharp downward slope on the other side (like a rooftop). Therefore, if I tried to climb on top or straddle, I'd likely slide off the wall over the opposite side. I tried pulling myself up to eye level with the wall's top to confirm this, but this proved too tough to perform.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 01, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Let's see, get back down off the elephant and get a few peanuts. Can you tie the end of the whip around a peanut? If so, please do. Then get back on the elephant using the crude steps. Dangle the peanut in front of his face and lead him over to the wall near the northwest corner. Try standing on his back there and see if you can hoist yourself up to see on this wall. Is it the same sloping wall as the other one?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Let's see, get back down off the elephant and get a few peanuts. Can you tie the end of the whip around a peanut? Trav: Yes, I think so
If so, please do. Then get back on the elephant using the crude steps. Dangle the peanut in front of his face and lead him over to the wall near the northwest corner. Try standing on his back there and see if you can hoist yourself up to see on this wall. Is it the same sloping wall as the other one? Trav: Well, I still can only get high enough to feel over the edge and yes, this wall also slopes sharply off on the other side.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 4:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok, so just getting over the wall is not the answer, it would seem... back to the shed please. any signs of trapdoors?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: ok, so just getting over the wall is not the answer, it would seem...Trav: I don't know, let's not rule that out yet.

back to the shed please. any signs of trapdoors?
Trav: No, not that I can see. I've moved all the cleaning things out, and the shed is now pretty much empty. The backpacks are hanging on wooden pegs on one wall (I've tried pulling and pushing on the pegs, that doesn't activate any kind of trap door). An examination of the floor does not reveal anything either, the floor is all dirt and rocks just like the courtyard ground.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

okay, could we unpack a parachute and examine it please...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: okay, could we unpack a parachute and examine it please...Trav: Yeah, I can do this, and even if I can't get it back into the pack there is still another one that looks just like this. (unpacks parachute) Ok, this looks like an ordinary parachute.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Let me take a minute to think out loud...I really think this elephant has been trained, at least to some degree. The way he responded to the whip makes me think he's had some kind of training, and he is very easy to work with. He did not seem to mind me on his back or mounting/dismounting. I wonder what else he's capable of...

There has to be some way out of this courtyard, but I don't think there are any hidden doors anywhere. The guy that was here when I entered started to tell me not to forget something, and he was pointing to the northwest corner where the shed is. We know that the only things in there were the three packs and those cleaning supplies. We also know that one of those packs was empty, now another one is empty and the contents of it, that parachute, is now out on the ground. The last pack looks just like this one did before I took out the chute, so I have to assume they were identical.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

go ahead and put on the other parachute... I have a feeling you might end up needing it...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you think we could get the elephant to stand up on his hind legs? If so, then you could climb up his back and up his head. If he was up next to the wall in the northwest corner, you could do that and you could jump over the wall and parachute down, maybe...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis: go ahead and put on the other parachute...
Trav: Ok, I've got it on
I have a feeling you might end up needing it...
Trav: Yeah, me too

Jenn: Do you think we could get the elephant to stand up on his hind legs? Trav: Well if he's been trained by someone, this may be something he knows how to do
If so, then you could climb up his back and up his head. Hmmm...perhaps, but I said earlier that he's got some fairly slick skin, I don't know if I can accomplish this or not (although I'll try almost anything).
If he was up next to the wall in the northwest corner, you could do that and you could jump over the wall and parachute down, maybe...Trav: This is a good theory - as docile as the beast appears to be, I am not sure how he's going to react when I start climbing on his head. Can we try this first?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sure, why don't you get on him while he's on the ground (using our already established elephant mounting procedure) and try inching up towards his head to see how he reacts. See how far he'll let you go.
Another question, how far is the shed from the wall? Would we be able to take the long board, and sitting on the elephant to raise our height, prop the board with one end on the roof of the shed and one end on the wall? the end on the shed could be mainly on the top of the shed wall instead of the roof itself... does this look feasible? that would make a bridge we could walk up.
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, December 02, 2005 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

see if you can get the elephant to lift you up with his trunk, then get up on his hind legs, and that way you should be able to clear the wall easily.
Benjamin Moore (Zenith)
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 2:54 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you tear up the open parachute with one of the nails?. If so, untie the cords from the parachute and lay them on the ground.
Then tear up the parachute into 4cm wide strips.
Tie these together.
Tie the empty bag to one end of this makeshift rope.
Fill the bag with peanuts so it weighs a bit. Tie the cords together and add these to our rope.
Tie the cord end to one of the elephants front legs (as high as possible).
Climb back onto the elephant's back, and get him to the wall, while holding the peanut bag and rope well out of the way of his legs.
Once at the wall, throw the peanut bag over.
Using the rope, climb up and over the wall. You should have enough clearance by the bag to make it over. If it is indeed a long sloping roof, you can use the other parachute still strapped to your back as a drag chute to prevent you from sliding too fast.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 5:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If none of the above suggestions work (and I really like the cutting open the parachute suggestion), is there perchance a feather anywhere?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Sure, why don't you get on him while he's on the ground (using our already established elephant mounting procedure) and try inching up towards his head to see how he reacts. See how far he'll let you go. Trav: Ok - he lets me get to the base of his head, then begins to shake his head from side to side quickly and rock back and forth (almost causing me to fall off).
Another question, how far is the shed from the wall? Trav: The shed extends outward from the wall, about six feet from the corner of the wall
Would we be able to take the long board, and sitting on the elephant to raise our height, prop the board with one end on the roof of the shed and one end on the wall? Trav: I think the distance is feasbile to try this
the end on the shed could be mainly on the top of the shed wall instead of the roof itself... does this look feasible? that would make a bridge we could walk up. Trav: Yes, I think this is possible so I will give it a try...

I've successfully mounted the elephant again with the board in my hand...

I've managed to prop the board on the shed and against the wall...

I'm stepping off the elephant onto the board...uh oh...oh oh...

The shed wall just collapsed! Apparently my weight was too much for it. As a consequence, I took a rather hard fall (luckily the chute I'm wearing took most of the fall). The rest of the shed came down right after the first wall did, so there is now a pile of stones, straw and dust on the ground next to me. That was a super idea...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Saturday, December 03, 2005 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis: see if you can get the elephant to lift you up with his trunk, then get up on his hind legs, and that way you should be able to clear the wall easily. Trav: I am afraid the elephant will not be as cooperative now. He has walked several feet away, and is watching me out of the corner of his view. I don't know if it was the noise of the crumbling shed or my repeated trips on and off of him, but now as I try and approach him he moves away from me. I seriously thought Jenn's idea would work but it backfired, so we will have to re-think all of this.

Zenith: Could you tear up the open parachute with one of the nails?. Trav: I think so
If so, untie the cords from the parachute and lay them on the ground. Trav: Ok, I did this
Then tear up the parachute into 4cm wide strips.
Tie these together. Trav: Ok, trying this...NO WAY!! Things are going from bad to worse! As I was picking up the chute preparing to tear it, a huge gust of wind came ripping across the courtyard, so strong that it tore the chute right out of my hands! I tried to get it back, but it quickly went up in the air, over the wall and out of sight. Another truly creative idea, but I'm afraid we're back to square one...
Tie the empty bag to one end of this makeshift rope.
Fill the bag with peanuts so it weighs a bit. Tie the cords together and add these to our rope.
Tie the cord end to one of the elephants front legs (as high as possible).
Climb back onto the elephant's back, and get him to the wall, while holding the peanut bag and rope well out of the way of his legs.
Once at the wall, throw the peanut bag over.
Using the rope, climb up and over the wall. You should have enough clearance by the bag to make it over. If it is indeed a long sloping roof, you can use the other parachute still strapped to your back as a drag chute to prevent you from sliding too fast. Trav: Sadly none of this will work, I still cannot convince the elephant to let me get within five feet of him (I've even tried luring him with peanuts).

Jenn: If none of the above suggestions work Trav: Which unfortunately did not, although they were great ideas...
(and I really like the cutting open the parachute suggestion), Trav: I love this idea, I just wish my grip were stonger...
is there perchance a feather anywhere? Trav: As if things could get any worse, there is not a feather anywhere that I can see!
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ixoye: Just a quick note here - although things may have appeared to go roughly, I'd say that you guys may now be in the best position to solve the first part of the puzzle. Keep in mind that despite negative results to suggestions, it will always be possible to help Trav move on in the adventure!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Sunday, December 04, 2005 - 5:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, now that the shed came crashing down, we have a lot of boards... but still only two nails? Were there any nails holding the shed together? If so, can we salvage them and build a makeshift ladder using two long boards from the shed walls and a bunch of the short ones that were around earlier?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 2:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Well, now that the shed came crashing down, we have a lot of boards...Trav: Well, actually there were no boards used to build the shed, only bricks made from the same stone as the wall and the thatch roof
but still only two nails? Trav: Yes, which are still holding our ladder together
Were there any nails holding the shed together?
Trav: No
If so, can we salvage them and build a makeshift ladder using two long boards from the shed walls and a bunch of the short ones that were around earlier? Trav: No, not possible

Trav: It may interest everyone to know that I think I have heard the sound of a helicopter amidst my activities - it's very faint, but I'm sure that's what I heard...
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 8:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I'm prettxy sure that it was "not to forget a parachute" what the guy was telling you before he entered the helicopter. This could mean, they will pick you up and drop at some other location when you're finished with this task. How do you think?

So the most likely way out is on the helicopter ..
You mentioned that you already heard the helicopter -- this is what I expected, the guy in charge of the elephant would have to come back from time to time to look after the animal.

so wait until the helicopter comes closer ...
do they lower a rope?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the helicopter does not reappear, could we use the stones from the shed to build a makeshift staircase? lay a lot down for the first layer, then the second layer go almost out to the edge but not quite, leaving a small stair, repeat so on and so forth... ?