Archive through December 05, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #2 » Archive through December 05, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jens: Well, I'm pretty sure that it was "not to forget a parachute" what the guy was telling you before he entered the helicopter. Trav: You know, I have been thinking this as well.
This could mean, they will pick you up and drop at some other location when you're finished with this task. How do you think? I am not sure about this - my instinct tells me that it is up to me to figure out how to get out of this courtyard.
So the most likely way out is on the helicopter .. Trav: This may be, but I can no longer hear the helicopter, it seemed as if just a few minutes ago the sound of the rotors faded, but not like the copter was flying away, rather like it was shutting off
You mentioned that you already heard the helicopter -- this is what I expected, the guy in charge of the elephant would have to come back from time to time to look after the animal.
Trav: Well I have not seen the copter anywhere, just heard it a few minutes ago
so wait until the helicopter comes closer ...
do they lower a rope? Trav: I don't think they are looking in on me...

Jenn: If the helicopter does not reappear, could we use the stones from the shed to build a makeshift staircase? Trav: Doubtful - these stones appear to be so old that they will not support much weight at all. Most of them cracked when the shed fell, and now are in pieces about the size of a baseball. I don't think are nearly enough left of a decent size to construct a staircase. Any other ideas?
lay a lot down for the first layer, then the second layer go almost out to the edge but not quite, leaving a small stair, repeat so on and so forth...? Trav: Certainly a good idea if we had strong bricks of sufficient size.

Trav: By the way, when I did hear those helicopter rotors (this may sound strange), the sound seemed to be coming from somewhere below where I am, but not underground...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 3:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: One other thing that I may should mention (if it helps anyone) - that long board we have been using has not shown any sign of weakness, as opposed to those bricks. I'm sure it would have easily supported my weight if that shed wall would have held. This may not mean anything significant, or perhaps it will help us figure out how to escape...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... if we could get the elephant back on our side, maybe we could make a ramp from the elephant's back to the wall. Try hand feeding him a few more peanuts to see if he responds more positively to us. Eat a couple yourself to keep up your strength, while we're at it :) Have we carefully examined the ground to check for any trap doors? Are we possibly on a roof?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Hmm... if we could get the elephant back on our side, maybe we could make a ramp from the elephant's back to the wall. Trav: This would work in theory, but it would take a very steady elephant plus me having a great sense of balance...
Try hand feeding him a few more peanuts to see if he responds more positively to us. Trav: The elephant seems to now want to keep several feet away from me, no matter what I do. He'll eat some peanuts, but only if I put them on the ground and step away.
Eat a couple yourself to keep up your strength, while we're at it Trav: Yum! I love low-carb high protein snacks!
Have we carefully examined the ground to check for any trap doors? Trav: I've walked the whole area and I see no sign of one
Are we possibly on a roof? Trav: Well, we may be, or in some place located high above somewhere else based on the sound of that helicopter - it almost had a reverberating noise, like it was echoing as it was rising up. This seems too big to be a rooftop, but I definitely think we're high up in relation to another surface - any ideas on how we can confirm this?

Ixoye: Jenn, you're onto something I think, now work your mind...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Maybe it will help if I look around at our current situation - the shed has collapsed, and is now a pile of mostly broken bricks and some straw. There are two empty backpacks on the ground near where the shed was, and I am wearing the other backpack which contains a parachute.

There's a makeshift ladder which I put together made up of one long board and one short one, held together with our two nails. The hammer is lying next to the other much shorter boards.

There's a pile of peanuts across the courtyard, and of course the elephant, standing calmly about ten feet from me. The bullwhip is on the ground near the elephant. The empty peanut barrel is lying on its side in the courtyard.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, try tossing a small board over the wall and see if you can hear what happens to it. If it sounds like it's a long way down, we'll know. That would probably be better for us, because 15 feet wouldn't be enough time for the parachute to open anyways. Now how to get over that wall... Could we somehow set that board up as a catapult... and get the elphant to step on the other end to send us flying?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe we could use the barrel as the center to make a seesaw type thing as our catapult?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Well, try tossing a small board over the wall and see if you can hear what happens to it.
Trav: Nice! I like this idea! Ok - I just tossed it over the north wall, and I didn't hear it land...
If it sounds like it's a long way down, we'll know. Trav: Well I think it is a long way down, there was no sound of impact...
That would probably be better for us, because 15 feet wouldn't be enough time for the parachute to open anyways. Trav: Agreed! Hey, I think someone below is waiting for us. Several seconds after I tossed that board over the wall, I heard "woohoo!" from way below, and it had an echo to it...
Now how to get over that wall... Trav: Yeah, hmmm...
Could we somehow set that board up as a catapult... and get the elphant to step on the other end to send us flying? Trav: I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!
maybe we could use the barrel as the center to make a seesaw type thing as our catapult? Trav: I think this is our ticket out! Now what do you suggest?

Ixoye: :)
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, well try setting the seesaw up like I asked... then maybe take the whip and go near the elephant and try to get him headed toward the catapult... then race ahead of him so you can be standing on the end when he steps on the other end. Maybe put some peanuts where you need him to step?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Okay, well try setting the seesaw up like I asked... Trav: Ok - I have taken the liberty of removing the nails from the ladder I made, then nailing the long board to the barrel in the center so that I now have a catapult/seesaw
then maybe take the whip and go near the elephant and try to get him headed toward the catapult...
Trav: Well I don't think the elephant will need much encouragement, he seems to know what we're doing (I had an idea he had been trained for tricks), and he has taken position at one end of the board.
then race ahead of him so you can be standing on the end when he steps on the other end. Maybe put some peanuts where you need him to step? Trav: A question here - how do we know that if I stand on one end and he steps on the other that I won't just go straight up into the air? That would stink, then I'd have to use the chute to slow my fall back into the yard. The elephant seems patient enough, he won't let me come close to him but he definitely recognizes this stunt. I just want to be sure that the elephant puts enough force on the board and that I exit the board at an angle that will send me over the wall ( and NOT into the wall!). I'm holding that bullwhip ...
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

now .. then you would need to fix the plank to the barrel with two long nails -- do you think the barrel would be strong enough not to burst when the elephant steps on the plank?

However, I don't think that to be a feasible option. It's too dangerous for you .. You need to control your jump very well, in order not to fall back onto the courtyard, or even worse, onto the edge of the wall. This alone seems very difficult to me, unless you're an acrobate with many years of training. Not to mention that the heavy backpack will make it still harder. And you'll have only one try, remember that. (and still: of the helicopter is indeed hovering somewhere there below, you should avoid too close contact with the rotor blades ..)

No, there must be a solution that does not kill you. So, lets get back to conventional ways to get over the wall. Can you build a ramp from the stones of the shed? and then mount the elephant, get him climbing on the ramp?
Then try to look over the wall.
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sorry, crossposting.

You're indeed determined to jump over the wall? you're crazy!
But if you really must, make sure that you stand with the back the side of the wall where you want to go over it. The backpack will draw you into a curve incling towards the wall.
Crazy, anyway.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe just crack the whip really loudly as he's about to step, hopefully that will make him step firmly
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jens: now .. then you would need to fix the plank to the barrel with two long nails -- do you think the barrel would be strong enough not to burst when the elephant steps on the plank? Trav: I've examined it, and I am convinced it will not burst

However, I don't think that to be a feasible option. It's too dangerous for you .. You need to control your jump very well, in order not to fall back onto the courtyard, or even worse, onto the edge of the wall. Trav: But it does seem a suitable exit - is there a way we can test our invention with the remaining materials in the courtyard?
This alone seems very difficult to me, unless you're an acrobate with many years of training. Not to mention that the heavy backpack will make it still harder. And you'll have only one try, remember that. Trav: That's true, but I think there has to be a way to run a trial first...
(and still: of the helicopter is indeed hovering somewhere there below, you should avoid too close contact with the rotor blades ..)
Trav: I don't think it's hovering - I heard voices when I tossed the board over the wall, yet I never heard rotors
No, there must be a solution that does not kill you. Trav: I HOPE SO!
So, lets get back to conventional ways to get over the wall. Can you build a ramp from the stones of the shed? and then mount the elephant, get him climbing on the ramp?
Then try to look over the wall.
Trav: I've lost the elephant's trust in some ways, yet he seems very compliant to stay at the end of the board awaiting some kind of command or signal
You're indeed determined to jump over the wall? you're crazy! Trav: Well if it is an assisted jump that will get me over, I have the parachute to slow any descent I would make...
But if you really must, make sure that you stand with the back the side of the wall where you want to go over it. The backpack will draw you into a curve incling towards the wall.
Crazy, anyway. Trav: I admit it is not my first choice, but there doesn't seem to be any other way out of here

Jenn: Maybe just crack the whip really loudly as he's about to step, hopefully that will make him step firmly Trav: Ok - hey, maybe this will help us, I just cracked the whip, and the elephant rose up onto his hind legs!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

now crack it again and hopefully he will fall back down onto the board and send you flying...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: now crack it again and hopefully he will fall back down onto the board and send you flying...Trav: What? No test first? You must have a lot of faith in this contraption we've built (plus the angle at which I'll go into the air). Ok, I'm going to crack that whip and hope for the best...

CRRRAACCK!

With a loud trumpet, the elephant started to come back down. As his giant foot came within a few feet of the board I had to close my eyes.
THUD!

The elephant landed with a huge force, right on the board! The force sent me flying up into the air! I easily missed the edge of the wall, with several feet to spare! The thought occurred to me at that point that we perhaps could have run a trial by filling one of the empty backpacks with bricks from the shed, but that's now beside the point...

I'm airborne! As soon as I got up over the wall, I took a deep breath and yanked the ripcord...open chute (whew)! We were right about the rooftop-type location. That courtyard was on the edge of a canyon, which I am now descending slowly into. Below me, I can see a large white airbag with a red target painted on it. The bag is surrounded by flares, and I can see the man in the Hawaiian shirt waving a flare and whistling at me below. I can adjust the chute and aim for the bag...

Success! I landed dead center on the airbag. As soon as I did, the man climbed over to me and cut my parachute loose. "I guess you figured out what I was trying to tell you - don't forget to put on a parachute before you go over the wall! Anyway," he continues, "I know it seems like you were in that courtyard forever, but it really wasn't that long. I'll have to go back up there and see just what you tried before you figured out that the only possible exit was to utilize the trained elephant and build yourself a catapult! Anyway, say goodbye to daylight." With that, he helps me off the bag and to the entrance of a cave. As I walk in, I see that this is a hallway leading inside the canyon wall. After a short distance I come to a door (surprise). The door is open, so I walk on into a room. The room is poorly lit, so I cannot see much at this point. The only light source is one burning torch on the wall about ten feet away from where I am standing. Shortly after I notice this, the door behind me closes with a thud and I can hear several locks engage from the other side. This room I'm now in is very quiet, and I can see nothing except the area right around the burning torch.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Woo hoo!

Okay, can you take the torch off the wall? If so, kindly explore the room with the torch to see what else there is to see.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Woo hoo! Nice job!

Okay, can you take the torch off the wall? Trav: Yes, it is removable
If so, kindly explore the room with the torch to see what else there is to see. Trav: Gladly - As I was moving toward the torch my arm brushed against something (I'll have to check that out). From the entrance, I have to move along the right side wall to get to the torch. As I remove the torch and return to the door, my arm once again brushed against something. It is a large object, probably at least ten feet high and just as wide. As best as I can tell, it is a large sphere with a smooth surface (the surface somewhat reflects torchlight). Moving opposite of the sphere along the wall, I pass an unlit torch on the wall, which I have lit with the torch I am holding, thus providing some more light to the room. There's nothing in this lit area, so I keep moving. I've walked probably fifty feet, and I can see some objects to my left as I move along the wall. There appear to be several objects, all slightly taller than I am. I've reached the opposite end of the room from where I entered, and I find another unlit torch on the wall which I have lit. This reveals that I am standing in a corner, but not much else. As I turn and move along the next wall, I can only go about ten feet before I hit another wall and have to turn back toward the sphere side of the room. After about fifteen feet I've come to the end of this wall, but the wall has sloped downward, so at the point where I stop it has angled down to meet the floor (I think I just walked along one side of a ramp). Turning back to the right, I can go about thirty more feet until I come to another wall. In front of me is an unlit torch, which I've lit. Beneath this torch is some sort of machine - it somewhat resembles a weaving loom, about twelve feet long. I can see that something that looks like a rope is lying longways on the machine. At one end of the rope where the individual rope fibers unwind is a cylinder with a crank on one side. It seems that fibers enter the cylinder and as the crank is turned they are wound together. A few inches from the cylinder is a small guillotine-type knife. Underneath the machine is a pedal with a cable running up from it to the guillotine. Continuing on along this wall, I don't come across anything else until I reach a corner, where I bump into a table. There's an unlit torch on the wall here, which I've lit. The light reveals a table - on the table are two cylindrical objects wrapped in brown paper, each roughly two feet long with a diameter of roughly ten inches. I can see the sphere about fifteen feet to my left. Glancing around the dimly lit room, those objects in the room's center appear to be people, yet they are all standing completely still...this is really creepy...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try asking them where you are and why you are there (although i doubt they'll respond)

then unwrap one of the cylindrical objects and see what's inside
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: try asking them where you are and why you are there (although i doubt they'll respond)
Trav: Ok - I just spoke out "Hey, where am I?" (My voice carries quite a bit in this room). As you predicted, no response at all, not even the slightest movement.
then unwrap one of the cylindrical objects and see what's inside. Trav: Ok - unwrapping the object takes a few minutes, it is wrapped very securely. When the brown paper comes off, it is still a cylinder wrapped in white paper. As I tear this white paper to remove it, some light brown grains that look like sand begin to pour out of the hole I made in the paper. Enlarging the hole reveals more of this grainy material and it now pours out faster...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... we probably don't want to undo the other one, because we might need that. Can you set the cylinder down so that no more of the sandish stuff pours out? Then try turning the crank by the "weaving loom" Does it turn both directions? Or only one? Are you making rope or undoing it?
Finally, can you describe the sphere a little more? Is there space all around it, or is it like one of the walls is just curved out? (Sorry, I'm having a hard time getting a mental picture). If you push on it, does anything happen? What about just tapping it? What kind of sound does it make? What reflections can you see in it?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything interesting at the top of the ramp?
Can you examine the people a little more closely - are they real people?