Archive through December 06, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #2 » Archive through December 06, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Hmm... we probably don't want to undo the other one, because we might need that. Trav: I think this is an excellent way to approach it!
Ixoye: I agree 100%!
Can you set the cylinder down so that no more of the sandish stuff pours out? Trav: Done
Then try turning the crank by the "weaving loom" Does it turn both directions? Or only one? Trav: It will only turn one way, and this causes the fibers to weave together, making more rope. Apparently I have to crank with one hand, and keep pulling the slack in the newly made rope with the other hand
Are you making rope or undoing it? Trav: I've made the piece of existing rope about six inches longer
Finally, can you describe the sphere a little more? Trav: It is very dark colored, possibly black, and it is a giant round ball sitting on the floor just about three feet away from the wall. The diameter appears to be roughly ten feet.
Is there space all around it, or is it like one of the walls is just curved out? (Sorry, I'm having a hard time getting a mental picture). Trav: It's about three feet out from the same wall that has the door in it where I entered, about ten feet over from the right hand wall and about fifteen or so feet over from the left hand wall.
If you push on it, does anything happen? Trav: I pushed on it as hard as I could, and it moves only slightly (I cannot make it roll or move significantly).
What about just tapping it? Trav: Ok, I tapped it a few times with the butt of the torch
What kind of sound does it make? Trav: It produces a dull thud, but a slight reverberation like it may be hollow...
What reflections can you see in it? Trav: Not really any, just a distorted reflection of the torchlight (the surface feels dimpled, somewhat like iron).
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John: Is there anything interesting at the top of the ramp? Trav: Let's see...in the dim light, it appears that this ramp goes up steeply until it meets the wall. There seems to be a cutout in the wall at that point which has been completely covered with wooden planks. The cutout area is probably twenty by twenty feet square. It looks from the floor level like large iron spikes fasten the planks to the wall. I was almost wishing I had hung onto the hammer from the courtyard, but it would be useless in trying to pry those spikes out...
Can you examine the people a little more closely - are they real people? Trav: Like I said, this is very eerie, they are all standing completely still and silent. As I get near one of them I understand why - the one I am closest to and the one next to it are statues.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 05, 2005 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do they resemble any famous people? Does the guillotine knife look like it could be reset if you push the pedal?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Do they resemble any famous people? Trav: Hard to tell in the dim light, but it does not look like anyone I recognize
Does the guillotine knife look like it could be reset if you push the pedal? Trav: Hmmm...reset? I think that if I push on the pedal it will lower the knife and cut the rope.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What I meant by reset is if we cut a length of rope once, will we be able to cut a second piece later? or should we wait until we're pretty sure what length of rope we need...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: What I meant by reset is if we cut a length of rope once, will we be able to cut a second piece later? or should we wait until we're pretty sure what length of rope we need... Trav: Oh, I see what you mean. Well, I haven't depressed the pedal all the way, but just by putting a little pressure on it and letting off, the blade comes down as I apply pressure, but returns to its starting position as I let off the pedal, so apparently we can make as many cuts as we want to.
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please investigate the people/statues more. How many are there? Are they all statues? Touch them. What do they seem to be made of? What color are they?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather: Please investigate the people/statues more. Trav: Sure
How many are there? Trav: There are 10 of them
Are they all statues? Trav: They seem to be all statues, yes
Touch them. What do they seem to be made of? Trav: They are made of wood
What color are they? Trav: They are a cream/off-white color (as best as I can tell by torchlight). The paint is chipped in some places, and I can see bare wood under the paint.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try thumping them please and see if they sound hollow

Hi Mom, I'm glad you're going to help me on this one, because I'm running short on ideas! :)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try thumping them please and see if they sound hollow Trav: *thump* *thump* No, I'd say they are solid
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try pushing one over to see if they are stuck to the ground
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: try pushing one over to see if they are stuck to the ground
Trav: Ok, I just pushed on the statue closest to me and it fell over. It took a bit of effort, I think it's bottom heavy.
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the bottom made of a different material? Does it look like something is put in the bottom to weight them?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather: Is the bottom made of a different material? Trav: No, has the same consistency as the upper portion, and also some areas where paint is chipped
Does it look like something is put in the bottom to weight them? Trav: Maybe, but it could just be due to the amount of wood in the base - the base of each statue is roughly 3x3 feet
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

please go back up the ramp and try tapping on the boards covering the opening to see if it is hollow behind them. then turn around... is the ball directly in front of you? does it look like it could have rolled down the ramp and ended up in its current position?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: please go back up the ramp and try tapping on the boards covering the opening to see if it is hollow behind them. Trav: Ok - it is very hard to maintain my balance on this ramp, there is nothing to hold onto and it is steep. I can get up to the boards and tap for a few seconds, then I lose my balance and have to run back down, but it does sound like it's hollow behind the planks (they may be covering my exit!).
then turn around... is the ball directly in front of you? Trav: Well, it's all the way at the opposite end of the room but yes, it is directly in line with the ramp
does it look like it could have rolled down the ramp and ended up in its current position? Trav: Sure, it looks like that is possible
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, if we could figure out a way to get the ball back up the ramp maybe we could smash it through...
For now, will you please start cranking out a really long rope... about 50 feet, if possible.
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any way to attach a rope to the sphere?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Hmm, if we could figure out a way to get the ball back up the ramp maybe we could smash it through...Trav: I think you are right - all through the previous puzzle and so far in this one there's only one way in and one way out of each room. The courtyard was a bit different because of the way out, but I agree with your logic here.
For now, will you please start cranking out a really long rope... about 50 feet, if possible.
Trav: Ok, I've cranked out enough rope so that we now have about 50 feet total, laying across the machine and also on the floor.
Heather: Is there any way to attach a rope to the sphere? Trav: Allow me to examine the surface of the sphere...hmmm...I have located a hole in the surface of the sphere at the side that is closest to the back wall of the room. The hole is about eye level with me, and is about ten inches wide. No way to attach a rope here, but maybe something important. Continuing around it...hey, something else...on the opposite side of the sphere from the hole there is a very small indention in the surface of the sphere. It looks like maybe a small handhold which I could insert two fingers into, maybe about two inches. There is no way to attach a rope here either though. The rest of the surface is consistent, no other holes or indentions.

One interesting thing that I encountered as I was going over the sphere is the discovery that the sphere is resting in a slight indention in the floor.
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try looking inside the sphere through the larger hole. You may need to bring the torch over to illuminate inside. Also, try looking through the smaller hole and see if you can see all the way through the sphere and out the larger hole. Anything interesting?
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Afterwards, try taking one of the cylinders from the table (the one still wrapped, I guess) and try putting it in the hole. Does it seem like it is a good fit?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather: Try looking inside the sphere through the larger hole. You may need to bring the torch over to illuminate inside. Trav: The hole is completely dark inside, I cannot tell how deep it is
Also, try looking through the smaller hole and see if you can see all the way through the sphere and out the larger hole. Anything interesting? Trav: It is not possible to look through the smaller hole, as it is only a slight indention, like a handhold in a rock climbing wall.

Jenn: Afterwards, try taking one of the cylinders from the table (the one still wrapped, I guess) and try putting it in the hole. Does it seem like it is a good fit? Trav: Better than good, it is an exact fit - the cylinder slides snugly into the hole until the end of the cylinder is flush with the sphere's surface. Hmmm....