Archive through December 07, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #2 » Archive through December 07, 2005 « Previous Next »

Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anything happen now that it is plugged? is there a way to twist the cylinder? push on it and see if the sphere moves now. can you loop the rope around the sphere's fattest part, then try pulling on the rope to move the sphere? is the floor indentation the exact size for the sphere to rest in? are there any marks, handles, or other noticeable features about the indentation?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: does anything happen now that it is plugged? Trav: No
is there a way to twist the cylinder? Trav: Sure, I can twist it from side to side
push on it and see if the sphere moves now. Trav: Ok, I'm pushing but it does not seem to cause anything to happen
can you loop the rope around the sphere's fattest part, then try pulling on the rope to move the sphere? Trav: Let's try...well, that was a nice try, but this 'rope' is not very strong at all. I tied it snugly around the sphere and tugged, and before I had applied full strength, the rope snapped. I don't what this material is that we've woven together, but it almost seems rubbery and apparently will not tolerate any real tension.
is the floor indentation the exact size for the sphere to rest in? Trav: Pretty much, yes
are there any marks, handles, or other noticeable features about the indentation? Trav: No - it allows the sphere to rest in it, and it only indents a few inches into the floor.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Using the hand hold, is it possible to rotate the sphere in place?
How wide is the indentation in the floor?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John: Using the hand hold, is it possible to rotate the sphere in place? Trav: Let's see...hey, this isn't merely a hand hold, it is a handle with a small latch inside! I couldn't move this giant sphere with only the two fingers that will fit into this indentation, but at the bottom of the indentation is what feels like a latch that I can grip and pull upward.
How wide is the indentation in the floor? Trav: It's a circular indention, probably four feet in diameter, just big enough for the bottom portion of the sphere to rest in.

I wonder what you'll ask me to do now...
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Pull upward on the latch. What happens?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather: Pull upward on the latch. Trav: Ah, exactly what I thought you'd ask me to do...

What happens? Trav: Well...as I pull up on the latch, I hear a click from inside the sphere, then a portion of the sphere falls toward me - apparently there is a door in the side of the sphere and I have just opened it. As I lower this door all the way, it lowers until it rests on the floor. In the poorly lit room, I would have never noticed the outline of this door on the sphere. In any case, the sphere is hollow, at least to a degree. I have to stoop slightly to look inside the sphere, and with the aid of the torch I can see inside - there is a padded seat inside the sphere, supported by a bar going across the back of the seat. The bar is mounted to the opposite sides of the sphere, and the seat is facing me (out of the sphere). I don't see anything else inside...but this is quite a discovery!
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

hmm... so it is! why don't you try sitting in the seat. Is there a handle to close the door back up? If so, do it please. (Bring the torch inside with you so we can see...) don't close the door tightly until you can see if there is a latch or something that will let us open it back up. We don't want to get stuck! Is there anything on the inside walls of the sphere at all?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: hmm... so it is! why don't you try sitting in the seat. Trav: Ok, now I'm facing out of the sphere. I can't really see that far, but directly ahead of me is the group of statues and beyond that is the ramp
Is there a handle to close the door back up? Trav: Yes
If so, do it please. (Bring the torch inside with you so we can see...) don't close the door tightly until you can see if there is a latch or something that will let us open it back up. We don't want to get stuck! Trav: Ok, I've gone ahead and closed myself inside, there is a latch marked "EXIT" on the inside of the door which seems to correspond with the location of the outer latch, so I can get back out of here.
Is there anything on the inside walls of the sphere at all? Trav: No, the walls are bare
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 06, 2005 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

any buttons on the seats or the bars? can you see where you inserted the cylinder? try standing up and pretending like you're in a hamster wheel and see if you can get the ball to start rolling...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 1:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: any buttons on the seats or the bars? Trav: No
can you see where you inserted the cylinder? Trav: No
try standing up and pretending like you're in a hamster wheel and see if you can get the ball to start rolling...Trav: No, I don't think that's possible, it's too big and heavy
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 12:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I'm thinking maybe the cylinder is filled with some sort of explosive propellant and that the rope may make fuses. Try taking a short section of the rope and lighting it. What happened? If it seems to work like a fuse, try taking a very small amount of the "sand" we spilled out before (make sure it isn't near the cylinder), lay a fuse on it, light the fuse and get to someplace safe. What happened?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather: Okay, I'm thinking maybe the cylinder is filled with some sort of explosive propellant and that the rope may make fuses. Trav: Interesting...
Try taking a short section of the rope and lighting it. What happened? Trav: Well, I lit one end and it sparked up, then the flame travelled down it - you could be onto something...
If it seems to work like a fuse, try taking a very small amount of the "sand" we spilled out before (make sure it isn't near the cylinder), lay a fuse on it, light the fuse and get to someplace safe. What happened? Trav: There is a small heap (maybe a tablespoon full) on the floor by the table, so I'll put a section of rope about two feet long (from my sphere-towing experiment) into the pile, light it, and then take cover on the opposite side of the sphere...

hssss....POP! BOOOOOMMMMMM!
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the seat have a seat belt or harness? Is it in the middle so that the seat would rotate as the ball rolled? Can you see a way to attach a fuse to the cylinder you inserted?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather: Does the seat have a seat belt or harness? Trav: Yes, a 5 point harness
Is it in the middle so that the seat would rotate as the ball rolled? Trav: Yes, apparently as the ball rolls the seat will rotate on the support bar so that it stays upright facing the same direction
Can you see a way to attach a fuse to the cylinder you inserted? Trav: Yes, the cylinder has a small hole in the end that is facing out of the sphere, it is slightly larger than the diameter of the fuse/rope
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you drag the statues out of the way or are they too heavy? When you sit in the chair with the latch open, you said the ramp was in the background. Is it lined up straight ahead of you? If not try rotating the sphere until it is.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Heather: Can you drag the statues out of the way or are they too heavy? Trav: They're heavy enough to make this quite a chore...
When you sit in the chair with the latch open, you said the ramp was in the background. Is it lined up straight ahead of you? If not try rotating the sphere until it is. Trav: Yes, the ramp is directly across the room from me. One thing to note about the statues - if your idea proves right, and the cylinder is a propellant and does send this ball rolling, the ball would only come in contact with maybe two or three of the statues. As I sit in the sphere and look outward, there is one statue directly ahead of me, then two behind it on either side, then three more in the next row behind those evenly spaced so that the one in the middle is in line with the statue closest to me, and then four more on the last row (something about this seems very familiar). Based on the size and weight of this sphere, I do not think the statues will be much of an obstacle.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends. Whenever I try it, the 7 and 10 statues never fall over.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It depends. Whenever I try it, the 7 and 10 statues never fall over.

The hard part is catching that #10 statue far enough on the right side so that it kicks over hard enough to the left to sack #7 really good...(nice observation)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

maybe we are trying to aim at the wrong target... do you think we may need to become a bowling ball instead? if we get a strike, they may let us out...
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I think we have to go for the strike. Please make fuse long enough to give you plenty of time to get settled and buckled into the sphere. If you need to, make a sample and time how quickly it burns. Then attach the fuse to the cylinder. Light the fuse, then quickly enter the sphere, close and lock the hatch, then buckle yourself into the harness. Take a deep breath and brace for the blast.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis: maybe we are trying to aim at the wrong target...do you think we may need to become a bowling ball instead? Trav: Hmmm...this is what I was thinking you guys were preparing me to do...
if we get a strike, they may let us out...Trav: From the way I see it, if I have enough momentum to allow the ball to knock those statues down based on their distance from me, I should have enough speed to get up that ramp

Heather: Okay, I think we have to go for the strike. Trav: We? I'm the one that's going to try this crazy stunt! But ok, I'm with you...
Please make fuse long enough to give you plenty of time to get settled and buckled into the sphere. Trav: Allright - I'd hate to think how long I'd be stuck here if this idea works but I'm not inside the ball when it takes off...
If you need to, make a sample and time how quickly it burns. Trav: Very wise thinking on this suggestion
Then attach the fuse to the cylinder. Trav: Ok. After the experiment you suggested, I've measured enough fuse to let me light the end, get into the ball and get buckled up and pull the door closed
Light the fuse, then quickly enter the sphere, close and lock the hatch, then buckle yourself into the harness. Take a deep breath and brace for the blast. Trav: Ok, I've got about a minute's worth of fuse inserted, now it's lit, now into the ball, hatch is closed, into the seat, buckled up tight...

hsssss....

hsssss....

hssss..... (gee this is a long minute!)

hssss.....

POP!

BOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!

Man, I just shot out from the start point and very quickly am gaining speed! I hit the statues only seconds after that cylinder blew, and then just a second later I felt the ball moving upward and heard a very loud crash (the ball was jarred roughly at this point). In only another second or two, the ball came abruptly to a stop (fortunately you reminded me to buckle up!). The ball did not stay upright however, and I'm lying on my side with the hatch against the floor. Am I trapped now?

Well, I guess not. I hear voices outside the sphere, and then the sphere is rotated so that I am upright again. The hatch is opened from the outside, and I can see Mr. Hawaiian shirt looking in at me. "Woo, what a ride, huh?" he says loudly. "You got a strike - what a way to bowl, huh?" As I exit the ball, I can see that I did indeed travel directly across the room, right through the statues, up the ramp and crashed through the planks over that hole in the wall. The ball stopped against a wall with heavy foam padding. "You weren't in there long at all, dude, you must be a quick thinker," he says, "now have a turn at the next room." With that, I'm lead to a doorway into a musty smelling room filled with several very old musical instruments of all types. The room is lit by a set of fixtures on the ceiling, which is roughly ten feet high. The room is square, about twenty by twenty feet. There is a narrow walkway which leads from the door where I entered to another door across the room. Looking more closely at the other door, I can see that it is actually a set of boards that cover an open doorway (there is a small gap at the top that reveals that the doorway is open). The planks are securely nailed into the wall on both sides of the doorway. The various musical instruments in the room are in one continuous pile that runs all around the room and is roughly waist-high. Sitting atop the pile in one corner of the room is a very large gorilla, who casually eyed me, then proceeded to scratch his large belly. A curious place...
Ian (Image)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 5:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally, a new room! I can jump in without having to read the archives!

Hm... this sounds confusing. Do you know how to play any of the instruments in the room, Trav? If so, try playing a few scales and see if anything happens.

Describe the gorilla and the instruments, please. Does the gorilla look dangerous?

Can you tell how thick the boards over the door are? Would you be able to use a tuba (if there is one... if not, then some other instrument) as a battering ram to get through?

Look at the floor, the walls, the ceiling, the doors, the gorilla, and through the piles of instruments for some sheet music, please.

Finally, be silent for a minute or so and see if you can hear anything other than the gorilla's scratching...