Archive through December 09, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] So don't shade your eyes » Archive through December 09, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Their jobs were easier because they started late
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

"their" = "they"?
Are they human? real? alive? adult? approximately how many?
"late" = later than they were supposed to? later than they usually start?
How late did they start: minutes? hours? days? longer?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 07:55 pm:

"their" = "they"? yes
Are they human? real? alive? adult? all of those approximately how many? in the twenties
"late" = later than they were supposed to? this one later than they usually start? and to some extent, this one
How late did they start: minutes? about five of these hours? days? longer?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does "jobs" mean "professions"? or, rather, tasks they had to perform as a part of their professions?
Do they all have the same profession?
Did they all do these jobs at the same time? Did they all start at the same time?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 08:04 pm:

Does "jobs" mean "professions"? or, rather, tasks they had to perform as a part of their professions? this one, if I have understood the question correctly
Do they all have the same profession? yes
Did they all do these jobs at the same time? yes Did they all start at the same time? yes
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To clarify: suppose they were surgeons. The puzzle statement does not mean "It was easier for them to become surgeons because they started [something] late." Rather, "this particular operation they were performing was easier because it started late". I hope this helps :)
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It does. :) Mostly I was asking whether these jobs are something they did professionally, as opposed to voluntarily or in the course of their day-to-day lives (such as I have ahead of me the job of getting all my Christmas presents to fit in one suitcase).

I assume that we need to work out what this profession is. Is that correct? Do they all work in the same location? the same city? the same country? Do they all work for the same employer?

Does their profession have anything to do with lentil soup? If not, I will not attempt to multi-task, and will return shortly.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Were they playing a sport?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are they in fact surgeons? Thanks for the hint!

Did they wait until their patients were dead, so that all they had to do is sign a death certificate and not cut them open at all?
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This isn't a reference to a particular story that I might have read is it?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Don't shade your eyes and .. plagi..plagiatize..plagiar..take intellectual property of others as their own without being allowed to do so?
Were there others performing the same job? who started "in time"?
Did these 20 people resort to something that was done (maybe by others) in the five minutes before they started?
Did they start later on purpose?
Did they get some helpful information during these five minutes?
Did it become less work?
Did we already establish that these people were women?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

equipment used to complete the work relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 08:20 pm:

such as I have ahead of me the job of getting all my Christmas presents to fit in one suitcase Don't wrap the scented lotion. It doesn't matter if it breaks anyway.

I assume that we need to work out what this profession is. Is that correct? yes Do they all work in the same location? no the same city? no the same country? yes Do they all work for the same employer? yes

Does their profession have anything to do with lentil soup? the manufacture of lentil soup could, in my view, have been deferred for several millennia from the present date, to the inestimable benefit of mankind. The answer to your question is therefore no.

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

Were they playing a sport? no - that was 1977's puzzle :)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 08:39 pm:

Are they in fact surgeons? they are in fact not, nor potato farmers (to anticipate a possible line of enquiry). Thanks for the hint! You are, as you will always be, most welcome.

Did they wait until their patients were dead, so that all they had to do is sign a death certificate and not cut them open at all? Surgeons do not generally bother to do this in these enlightened times. Potato farmers tend not to believe that their patients were ever alive, although I have heard it said that one of their number retired to a monastery because he could no longer eat things with eyes.

By Rachel (Myth) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:08 pm:

This isn't a reference to a particular story that I might have read is it? without knowing the full range of your extensive scholarship, I find it difficult to answer this definitively. The best I can do is to say that I think it likely that this is not a reference to anything you may have read.

By Jens Weber (Sundowner) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:23 pm:

Don't shade your eyes and .. plagi..plagiatize..plagiar..take intellectual property of others as their own without being allowed to do so? only be sure always to... but those who know already know, and those who don't don't care.
Were there others performing the same job? no who started "in time"?
Did these 20 people resort to something that was done (maybe by others) in the five minutes before they started? no
Did they start later on purpose? no
Did they get some helpful information during these five minutes? on the contrary...
Did it become less work? yes
Did we already establish that these people were women? we did not establish it already, nor have we established it now

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 09:40 pm:

equipment used to complete the work relevant? very much so
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

there are people who would walk 100 miles for my lentil soup

Does it matter why these workers started late?

How late? On the order of 5 minutes? 4 hours? two days? A week? A month? A year? 10 years? Is this relevant?

Did they wait for new technology related to completing their task? For better equiment to be developed?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops, sorry; you said how late :(

Five minutes...did they, during this time, keep someone from attending her music lesson on time?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And I guess my other questions look pretty daft too. :( :(
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:52 pm:

there are people who would walk 100 miles for my lentil soup I'd walk a million miles to get rid of these piles...

Does it matter why these workers started late? yes

How late? On the order of 5 minutes? this one 4 hours? two days? A week? A month? A year? 10 years? Is this relevant? yes

Did they wait for new technology related to completing their task? no, but... For better equipment to be developed? no

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:54 pm:

oops, sorry; you said how late too loud, my dear, too late, and far too long

Five minutes...did they, during this time, keep someone from attending her music lesson on time? possibly. But not very possibly.

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 10:55 pm:

And I guess my other questions look pretty daft too. Why, then, 'tis none to you; for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the title relevant? Did all of the workers start late for the same reason? Did they have to start the task all at the same time?

Would starting late on one or more other days have also made the job easier?

Was the equipment mechanical? Electronic? A simple tool? Bigger than a safety pin? A pair of scissors? A handsaw? a jackhammer? a garbage truck? A crane? A space shuttle? The moon? (I am well aware that this last is not, strictly speaking, a piece of equipment or a tool.)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 12:44 am:

Is the title relevant? not really Did all of the workers start late for the same reason? yes Did they have to start the task all at the same time? yes

Would starting late on one or more other days have also made the job easier? no

Was the equipment mechanical? Electronic? this one A simple tool? no Bigger than a safety pin? A pair of scissors? A handsaw? a jackhammer? this one a garbage truck? and in some respects not this one A crane? but in other respects this one A space shuttle? not sure about this one The moon? but not this one (I am well aware that this last is not, strictly speaking, a piece of equipment or a tool.) should I have been well aware that by "a crane" you meant a mechanical apparatus for lifting heavy objects, and not a bird?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

should I have been well aware that by "a crane" you meant a mechanical apparatus for lifting heavy objects, and not a bird?

If you had been really observant you might have noticed that the objects are roughly ordered by ascending size. But perhaps the waterfowl in Shepherd's Bush are rather larger than the ones in the rest of the UK.

Is this a christmas puzzle? Does the equipment involve computers?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 1:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can this large piece of equipment be wielded by one person?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:18 am:

If you had been really observant from a false premise, everything follows. I will take what comes. you might have noticed that the objects are roughly ordered by ascending size. this, however, is unacceptable. You are making the cardinal error of assuminng that I might notice anything at all. But perhaps the waterfowl in Shepherd's Bush are rather larger than the ones in the rest of the UK. trust me on this: if a duck makes it to Shepherd's Bush, you treat it with respect - you don't ask for its inside leg measurement.

Is this a christmas puzzle? no Does the equipment involve computers? yes, indeed :)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 01:19 am:

Can this large piece of equipment be wielded by one person? not unless he were a very large person. Or an average-sized duck that had reached Shepherd's Bush.