[Dietmar] Hollywoodland (Re-Run from ... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [Dietmar] Hollywoodland (Re-Run from April 02) « Previous Next »

Dietmar Cremers (Feenwelt)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I am much too lazy to invent a new puzzle and have plenty to do with moving puzzles or reminding users to the FAQ, I'll just do an old puzzle of mine. Have fun!

She commited suicide before she should commit suicide.

pe
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

acting role vs. real life relevant?
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

acting role vs. real life relevant? yes
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

This already looks like the spoiler, but isn't. What I would at least like to know: Why did she commit suicide?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was it to avoid something?
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

no
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she practicing her role in the play?
i.e. was it accidental?
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was she practicing her role in the play?
i.e. was it accidental? no
Valiko Mizandari (Mimino)
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she commit suicide in real life?
Was she supposed to commit suicide in a role she was going to play?
Are the reasons for her real suicide related to the role she was going to play? to the fact that her role commits suicide?
Was she a stage actor? movie? relevant?
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Did she commit suicide in real life? yes
Was she supposed to commit suicide in a role she was going to play? yes
Are the reasons for her real suicide related to the role she was going to play? yope to the fact that her role commits suicide? no
Was she a stage actor? movie? relevant? a stage actor.
Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer)
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the way she should commit suicide relevant? are they the same (the one that the should be doing and the one that she had done?) or are they different?
Posted on Thursday, December 15, 2005 - 6:20 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

the way she should commit suicide relevant? No, but her real suicide is very interesting. There is something special about it. Feel free to ask.

are they the same (the one that the should be doing and the one that she had done?) or are they different? different
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, given the title, was she the first to commit suicide from/at the Hollywood sign?
Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer)
Posted on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 1:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you said that her real suicide is interesting, right? is it relevant? ;p does it involve blood? injury? fracture? water? fire? heights? fear? anxiety? depression?
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 5:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Sunday, December 18, 2005 - 08:10 pm:

Well, given the title, was she the first to commit suicide from/at the Hollywood sign? Well, given that I am German, I had never thought someone would come up with this (to me unknown) fact. Yes, she was the first.

By Kristoffer Dominique Albeus (Kristoffer) on Monday, December 19, 2005 - 01:04 am:

you said that her real suicide is interesting, right? is it relevant? ;p does it involve blood? injury? fracture? water? fire? heights? fear? anxiety? depression? Tim has it.
Anyway, I must spoil this puzzle, for you know the most, and I have too little time so shortly before christmas.

******SPOILER******

Peg Entwistle (1908-1932) was one of Hollywood´s less famous actors. She had a terrific success in 1929 in the broadway-musical "Tommy"... and that was all. She received no offers for years. Desperate and probably an alcoholic, she became the first person to jump to death down the "Hollywood"-letters on Mount Lee. (Which read "Hollywoodland" at that time.) Only one day later a movie role offer was found in her postbox: She should have acted as a desperate person committing suicide.

See also a rather strange website about her
The puzzle was originally made for a series of "The unknown person"-puzzles we had some years ago - a lateral tradition I really loved.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: