Archive through December 10, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #2 » Archive through December 10, 2005 « Previous Next »

Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Finally, a new room! I can jump in without having to read the archives! And welcome into the puzzle!

Hm... this sounds confusing. Trav: Trust me, not half as confusing as it looks...
Do you know how to play any of the instruments in the room, Trav? Trav: Some of them, yes, the problem is going to be finding any that are intact enough to produce any tones

If so, try playing a few scales and see if anything happens. Trav: After a few minutes of rummaging through several piles, I have discovered a bugle (which I really do not know how to play). After several attempts, I am at last able to get a raspy tone out, but nothing happens. The next instrument that looks playable is a drum, which I do not see anything to hit with so I will keep looking. There are a pair of cymbals which are in fair shape - I clashed them together, and the only thing that happened was that I made the gorilla jump (I think I startled him). As I find more playable instruments I will keep you updated.

Describe the gorilla and the instruments, please.
Trav: How does one describe a gorilla, hmm...well, he is fairly large (about six inches taller than me), very broad shoulders (apparently quite strong), large hands and feet, dark black fur (hair). As far as the instruments, there are hundreds of different ones, almost all of them bent, broken, rusted badly, missing pieces, etc.
Does the gorilla look dangerous? Trav: Not from what I can tell, he rather looks bored

Can you tell how thick the boards over the door are? Trav: Yes, I can slip my fingers over the top board because of the small gap up there - these boards are about two inches thick
Would you be able to use a tuba (if there is one... if not, then some other instrument) as a battering ram to get through? Trav: I doubt it, any instrument I try to use would be ineffective trying to ram through something that thick - but good thinking.

Look at the floor, the walls, the ceiling, the doors, the gorilla, and through the piles of instruments for some sheet music, please. Trav: Ok (you're already keeping me busy). The floor is cobblestone, the walls are large wood planks, the ceiling is plaster, the door I entered through is solid wood (someone has closed it and locked it from the other side), and the only other doorway is barricaded with planks. A search for sheet music proves fruitless, I cannot locate any.

Finally, be silent for a minute or so and see if you can hear anything other than the gorilla's scratching... Trav: Ok - every few minutes I hear little noises coming from within the piles of junk here. Now the gorilla is sitting atop a pile of mangled saxophones, so it may be merely the metal shifting under his weight...

I just found an oboe almost intact but without the reed, and blowing into the hole doesn't product a sound, oh well...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try talking to the gorilla and see if he reacts...

if that doesn't work... do you know any sign language? if so, try signing to him and see if he reacts...

hang onto the oboe, just in case...

are any of the wall planks loose, perchance?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis: Try talking to the gorilla and see if he reacts...Trav: Someone had me talk about an elephant earlier, now you want me to talk to a gorilla? Ok, why not...well I've lectured him on several topics, but all he has done is study his toes (am I that dull?)

if that doesn't work... do you know any sign language? if so, try signing to him and see if he reacts...Trav: I can sign 'thank you' and 'please', and he sees me doing this yet he does not respond

hang onto the oboe, just in case...Trav: Allright - now I don't know how to play one, all I know is you have to have the reed and cover some holes, that's about it

are any of the wall planks loose, perchance?
Trav: No, not that I can detect
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Hey, I've come across most of a tuba (which was suggested as a battering ram). This wouldn't help us bust through those planks, but if I find the mouthpiece I'll see if I can blast out a few notes (I don't know anything about playing a tuba except puffing hard into the mouthpiece)
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

you have to "buzz" your lips together to make a sound on a brass mouthpiece...you can't just blow air...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis: you have to "buzz" your lips together to make a sound on a brass mouthpiece...you can't just blow air...Trav: You sound like my junior high band director...aha! Here's a tuba mouthpiece! Let's put your teaching to the test...

Well, I managed to blast out a somewhat decent 'C'...not bad considering the crash course in tuba playing, and the fact that the bell of the tuba has a large hole in it and is bent badly. And after all this, still no response from the gorilla. He does however crawl over to another section of instruments and sit down. This causes some noise, as he moves about and after he sits down. I can't be sure yet, but it almost sounds like some pieces are moving that are on the other side of the room from where to gorilla is...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

well let's go over there and check it out then. try digging to the bottom of the instrument piles where you hear the noises and see what you find.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine the other side of the room more closely, and see if those instruments are actually moving. See if there is anything underneath them.
Are there any stringed instruments in the room? if so, do any of them have any strings intact?
Try handing an instrument to the gorilla and see if he reacts. Actually, try a few instruments, and see if he reacts differently.
Are there any gaps between the planks, other than the gap at the top?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: well let's go over there and check it out then. try digging to the bottom of the instrument piles where you hear the noises and see what you find. Trav: Sure, why not? (I don't think you've seen 'Star Wars' lately, you know the scene in the trash compactor...noises under the garbage...). Allright, I'll take a look. I'm near where I heard some noise, moving several mangled trumpets and part of a baritone horn, now clearing the remnants of a xylophone...oh great! I'm down to the floor and I spy some rodent droppings. No sign of them, but they have obviously been here at some point...

John: Examine the other side of the room more closely, and see if those instruments are actually moving. See if there is anything underneath them. Trav: I've moved more things out of the way...hey! Here's a drumstick that is not broken (I think somone asked me to look for this). I don't see anything alive under here (still picturing Luke Skywalker in the compactor), but I do see a few more little pellets on the floor.
Are there any stringed instruments in the room?
Trav: Hmmm...well there do appear to be pieces of some guitars amidst the rubble, and in one corner is most of a string bass (the back of it has been horribly gouged), and - wait - here is a banjo that is still stringed (mostly), and intact enough to play (you don't think I'll find that kid from 'Deliverance' under here, do you?)
if so, do any of them have any strings intact? Trav: Apparently only the banjo
Try handing an instrument to the gorilla and see if he reacts. Actually, try a few instruments, and see if he reacts differently. Trav: Ok, I've handed him the oboe that I'm toting, the banjo, a triangle, the cymbals, the drumstick, a wood block and the tuba. He doesn't seem to want to take any of them. I let them touch his fingers but he didn't try to hold or grab any of them.
Are there any gaps between the planks, other than the gap at the top? Trav: No, the planks go all the way to the floor
Posted on Wednesday, December 07, 2005 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Rodents, you say? Is there perchance a pipe among the instruments?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John: Rodents, you say? Trav: Either that or the largest roaches known to man
Is there perchance a pipe among the instruments? Trav: Pipe, you say? Well, I've located a pipe-like instrument, more like a recorder with a mouthpiece and three holes.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try playing that and see if you can get the rodents to follow you around. experiment with leading them different places. what happens if you lead them up to the gorilla? does he react? what happens if you lead them to the planks? do they start gnawing on them?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: try playing that and see if you can get the rodents to follow you around. experiment with leading them different places. Trav: Allright, I'll cover the top hole and blow...

TOOOOOOOOOT!

Well this produces quite a lot of activity...after a few seconds, several rats begin to emerge from the piles of junk and form a circle around my feet, staying about six inches away from me. I start walking backward, and the rats form an orderly line and keep their distance while following me.

what happens if you lead them up to the gorilla? does he react? Trav: Yes, he's going ape! As soon as I got within a few feet of the pile he was sitting on, he started howling and jumping up and down (causing even more noise). This brought more rats out of the mess, and they joined the ones already following me. This only made the gorilla more active, and he started banging on the wall and howling louder. As I continue to play the instrument, the gorilla works his way over to the door where I entered - he's trying to tear the door right off the hinges! That doesn't do any good, so he turned and ran right past me to the other doorway. He studied it very quickly and seemed to realize there was not a way to open a door, so he started beating furiously on the planks, yelling even louder than before...

what happens if you lead them to the planks? do they start gnawing on them? Trav: No, they don't even get the chance! The gorilla is powerful, as I mentioned earlier, and in his desperation to flee the rats he smashed right through those planks! I was so surprised at this that I stopped playing the pipe. The gorilla did not notice, as he immediately forced his way through the busted planks and into the dimly lit hallway beyond. Once the tone from the pipe stopped, the rats quickly scurried back underneath the piles of junk (one of them briefly nipped at my boot - sick!). I suppose this means that we can move on to the next leg of the journey, which must be down the hallway where the gorilla ran. Stepping through the doorway, I enter a dimly lit hallway and proceed down it. I have no idea where the gorilla is, nor can I hear him making any noise. Within minutes, I am standing before a large wooden door, which is closed. In the dim light I can see a handle on this door, and the door opens as I pull on the handle. I can tell that this is another room, but it is so dark inside I cannot see more than a few feet into the room. All I can tell is that the floor of the room is made from wooden planks. I take only a few steps into the room, and the door that I entered through closes behind me. As I stand still, my eyes begin to adjust to the darkness, and I can see that there is at least one window very high above me. Judging by the extremely minimal amount of light in the room, I would guess that it is now night, and a cloudy night at that. I still cannot see more than a few inches in any direction...
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Thursday, December 08, 2005 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, let's take a nap to restore your energy and to wait until morning. Once the sun rises, please describe your surroundings.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: Okay, let's take a nap to restore your energy and to wait until morning. Once the sun rises, please describe your surroundings. Trav: So now you decide to go easy on me, eh? You guys had me diving after rats and catapulting over walls, so I figured you'd want me to stumble around this room and get myself into a mess - thanks for letting me have a break!

Ok, I'm going to just lay down right here and try and relax...

zzzzzzz.....

zzzzzzz.....

Wow! I think I slept a whole day! Well I must not have, because I think the sun has just come up. As I sit up, rub my eyes and look around, here's what I see:

A table in the center of the room

An large book on the table, open

A rather large wooden chest next to the table

Several mannequins made from vines and twigs dressed in medieval clothing of various kinds

This room is not particularly large, but there is a considerably high ceiling, probably thirty feet above me. Large rafters crisscross each other about five feet below the ceiling. About three feet below the rafters on one wall are two windows, each one measuring about two feet high by six feet long. There are no sources of light in this room other than sunlight coming in the windows. There are several splotches of a beige substance on the floor (it resembles paint). The door through which I entered is closed. Another door is on the wall to my left, opposite the wall with the windows. This door is small (a few inches below my eye level), made of some kind of metal, and has a keyhole and a handle. I don't know how long I slept, so I do not know how much daylight I have to work with...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK... now that you're rested, you'll be ready for the hoop-jumping all over again! :O

describe the table in more detail? is it sturdy? how tall is it? standard 4 legs? shape? sturdy enough to stand on if necessary?

examine the book. is there anything that might be of interest on the page that is open? on any of the surrounding pages?

is the chest unlocked? if so, what is inside? if not, does it require a key?

do the mannequins have any pockets, bags, etc. that would make good hiding places for a key? if so, check to see if you can find anything.

what material or type flooring is in this room?

what are the walls constructed from?

now, take a breather, sit or stand really still and quiet and see if you can hear anything...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lewis: OK... now that you're rested, you'll be ready for the hoop-jumping all over again! Trav: If I'm going to be hoop-jumping, I'd rather doing after a good nap!

describe the table in more detail? Trav: Appears to be hand made of wood
is it sturdy? Trav: Yes
how tall is it? Trav: Slightly above my waist is the tabletop
standard 4 legs? Trav: Yes
shape? Trav: Square, roughly 5 x 5 feet
sturdy enough to stand on if necessary? Trav: Yes

examine the book. Trav: Looks very old, parchment pages, leather-bound, probably 500 pages total
is there anything that might be of interest on the page that is open? Trav: There are a few sentences written on the left page where the book is open to (about 100 pages deep into the book), but I do not understand this writing so I cannot read it
on any of the surrounding pages? Trav: All the pages beyond this one are blank. The page immediately before this one has more writing, plus drawings of birds. The three prior pages have only writing, then there is a page with several drawings of dogs (some notes are scribbled in the margins, but it's the same strange language). As I continue to go back, I go past several pages with only writing, then come to another page with drawings, several sketches of monkeys and some captions written in the foreign language

is the chest unlocked? Trav: Yes, it opens easily
if so, what is inside? Trav: The chest is about half full of some type of berries - they are bright red, about the size of plums
if not, does it require a key? Trav: I guess not

do the mannequins have any pockets, bags, etc. that would make good hiding places for a key? Trav: A few of them do have pouches and pockets, but all these are empty
if so, check to see if you can find anything.
Trav: My search produced nothing but lint

what material or type flooring is in this room?
Trav: Wide wooden planks
what are the walls constructed from? Trav: Brick

now, take a breather, sit or stand really still and quiet and see if you can hear anything...
Trav: Good idea, all this looking around is wearing me out. The room is relatively quiet - I am just barely able to hear the wind blowing, and the rafters above me creak slightly at random times, other than that the only thing I hear is my own breathing.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do the pictures of birds dogs and monkeys look like the animals are doing anything? try imitating the three animals, especially imitating the poses they are in in the book, and see if anything happens.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Jenn: do the pictures of birds dogs and monkeys look like the animals are doing anything?
Trav: On the Monkey page, there are four drawings - one is of a monkey hanging from a tree (there is nothing written near this picture), one is of a monkey holding a ball (this picture has the word "yatma" written next to it), the other two pictures appear to be a sequence of a monkey shaking a person's hand (this sequence has the phrase "monmar hihu" written underneath it).

The Dog page has three large drawings with numerous tiny sketches in the margins. One large drawing is of a dog lying on its side (the phrase "trun sketh" is written under this picture). Another large drawing is of a dog standing holding a stick in its mouth (the phrase "krit eru fashel" is written under this). The third drawing is of a dog in the "sit" position (the word "drau" is written under this).

The bird page has three drawings of a bird perched on objects. Under a picture of a bird perched on a tree limb the word "veskil" appears. Under a picture of a bird perched atop a post the phrase "teren smu grallu" is written. Under a picture of a bird perched on a person's arm the phrase "nullu daw" is written. There are many words written in very small letters scattered around this page, but two words are written larger than these near the bottom of the page - "skaw" and "yub".

try imitating the three animals, especially imitating the poses they are in in the book, and see if anything happens. Trav: Ok - I've done my best at this (and I think I've done a good job, too), but I've failed to produce any results that I know of.
Posted on Friday, December 09, 2005 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there any writing anywhere in the room, other than on the book?
Is there anything written on the book's covers or spine (if any)?
Are there any writing implements in the room?
Please examine the beige substance more closely. Can you determine if it is in fact paint? Is it wet?
Please check and confirm if the small metal door is in fact locked.
Does the chest look like it might contain a hidden compartment underneath the berries?
Take a berry out of the chest and place it on one of the mannequins.
Please try reading aloud some of the words from the book (pronouncing them as best you can).
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

John: Is there any writing anywhere in the room, other than on the book? Trav: No, none that I can see anywhere
Is there anything written on the book's covers or spine (if any)? Trav: Nothing on the spine, the word "khorsu" is etched in gold leaf on the cover
Are there any writing implements in the room?
Trav: No, not that I can see
Please examine the beige substance more closely. Can you determine if it is in fact paint? Trav: Upon closer inspection, it looks to be a bit too watery to be paint, the color is inconsistent, and the consistency does not seem to be as thick as paint would be
Is it wet? Trav: No
Please check and confirm if the small metal door is in fact locked. Trav: Wouldn't that be a twist? Sadly though, it is locked
Does the chest look like it might contain a hidden compartment underneath the berries? Trav: Let's see...I've moved the berries around enough to get to the bottom of the chest, and it is the true bottom
Take a berry out of the chest and place it on one of the mannequins. Trav: Ok - I'll put it on top of the head of one that is posed with the hands on the hips
Please try reading aloud some of the words from the book (pronouncing them as best you can).
Trav: Ok, let's try it...
"yatma" - nothing happens
"trun sketh" - nothing happens
"drau" (I'm saying it like the english "draw") - nothing happens
"veskil" - nothing happens, but I did hear those rafters creak again, and it seems that it's been a while since I last heard that noise
"skaw" - nothing happens

I think it must be getting on into the afternoon, the room seems to be darkening just a bit
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Throw a berry up to the rafters.
Can you see anything up there?
Say "veskil" again.