Archive through December 14, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [Ixoye] Trav's Lateral Adventure #2 » Archive through December 14, 2005 « Previous Next »

Author Message
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCACTION: Medieval Room

John: Throw a berry up to the rafters. Trav: Ok, I'll try - well it went up, stalled a few feet under the rafters, then SPLAT down onto the floor.
Can you see anything up there? Trav: Several shadows make it difficult to see anything other than the underside of the rafters
Say "veskil" again Trav: "Veskil" - nothing happens now
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Throw another berry. See if you can get it above the rafters this time. Stand on the table if necessary.
Are the mannequins arranged in any particular pattern? Are they fixed to the ground?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2005 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try throwing berries through the window, if it is open to the outside...
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Sunday, December 11, 2005 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please look through the book some more. Are there any other pages with drawings and captions? Are there any words on the last page that you recognize from the captions?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Medieval Room

John: Throw another berry. See if you can get it above the rafters this time. Stand on the table if necessary. Trav: Ok, the added height of the table should help - yes, it did, the berry got up a few feet above the rafters, stalled, then came back down with a SPLAT on the table
Are the mannequins arranged in any particular pattern? Trav: No, they don't seem to be
Are they fixed to the ground? Trav: No

Lewis: try throwing berries through the window, if it is open to the outside...Trav: Ok -
first attempt - SPLAT on the wall
second attempt - SPLAT on the wall
third attempt - SPLAT on the window (I guess that means it's not open to the outside)


Heather: Please look through the book some more. Trav: Ok. I've continued to go back toward the first page, and most of the pages are covered in text only.
Are there any other pages with drawings and captions? Trav: I did come to a page with some drawings of horses. There is one of a horse jumping over a fence with the word "slaff" written next to it, one of a horse standing still with no caption around it, and one of a horse standing on its back legs with its front legs in the air (the phrase "geb brumma thod" is written under this).
Are there any words on the last page that you recognize from the captions? Trav: No, I don't think so
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do any of the outfits look like they would fit you? if so, please try one on
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Medieval Room

Jenn: do any of the outfits look like they would fit you? Trav: Yes, they all do...
if so, please try one on Trav: Well since it's up to me, I'll put on the first one I come to, which is a full-body length robe with a cloth belt and sash.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

does anything happen? try saying some of the words from the book wearing the outfit.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please describe the other outfits in detail.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Medieval Room

Jenn: does anything happen? Trav: Yes - I now feel like a serf, other than that it has no effect on anything
try saying some of the words from the book wearing the outfit. Trav: Ok - I've said many words aloud, and it has not produced any noticeable result.

Those rafters have creaked a few more times, and I would say we are now approaching dusk, as it is getting more difficult to see in here...


John: Please describe the other outfits in detail. Trav: Certainly (these are in the order that I would approach them if I started at the one closest to the door I entered through):

ROBE - Long brown robe with belt and sash (I am now wearing this one)

ARMOR - A light suit of armor including a chest plate, shoulder plates, helmet and shin guards (this mannequin is posed as if prepared to strike something with a sword, but there is no sword in its hand)

BLACKSMITH - A heavy apron, sleeveless cloth shirt, brown cloth pants

ARCHER - Plumed helmet, leather chestplate, black cloth shirt, brown cloth pants, bronze armor on legs, empty quiver on its back (this mannequin is posed as if drawing back a bow, but is not holding a bow)

TUNIC WEARER - Heavy brown tunic with half-length sleeves, mid-length leather skirt with metal studs, leather shinguards, heavy leather gloves tucked under a leather belt (this mannequin is posed with its left hand on the left hip, the right arm extended outward)
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Monday, December 12, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: It must be nearly nightfall, as I can now barely see from one side of the room to the other. If you'll want me to look at anything else, I'd better do it soon...
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Lit a candle.
Check whether there is a pen or other writing device. Maybe you're supposed to complete the book.
When it has become completely dark, check whether there is something glooming or fluorescenting. (the pages of the book, the book cover, the white stain on the floor, the clothes, the berries)
By the way, what sort are the berries? do you think they're edible?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Medieval Room
Welcome to the puzzle, Ostap!

Ostap: Lit a candle. Trav: Sadly, there is no candle anywhere in the room...
Check whether there is a pen or other writing device. Maybe you're supposed to complete the book. Trav: I have performed a fairly thorough check of the room, and I have not been able to locate any kind of writing instrument
When it has become completely dark, check whether there is something glooming or fluorescenting. (the pages of the book, the book cover, the white stain on the floor, the clothes, the berries)
Trav: Well by this time it has gotten completely dark, and I cannot detect anything glowing or emitting any kind of light

By the way, what sort are the berries? Trav: I am not sure, I only know they are plum-size and bright red
do you think they're edible? Trav: Possibly, but I don't know if they can be safely eaten by humans...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: Something is going on in the room, but I can't see what it is due to the darkness. I heard the rafters creak several times, then a sound up near the ceiling. Just seconds later, there was a noise over by where the mannequins are standing, then another noise followed by the creaking of the rafters once again. I was too scared to move during all of this, so I stayed in place. Let's hope the daylight will provide some clues as to what's going on...
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you remember any of the written words from the book? can you find your way to the table in the dark? maybe if the apparition comes back, you can try reciting some of the words and phrases. If that is our way out, that may be a way to get its attention. if you can, get up on the table when you do this.
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Medieval Room, In The Dark

Lewis: do you remember any of the written words from the book? Trav: Some of them, yes
can you find your way to the table in the dark?
Trav: Yes, the room is not that big, so I am able to get to the table with relative ease
maybe if the apparition comes back, you can try reciting some of the words and phrases.
Trav: Apparition? Now I'm really getting freaked out...
If that is our way out, that may be a way to get its attention. if you can, get up on the table when you do this. Trav: Well, you and I both know that we can't assume anything with these puzzles, so you may have something here. I'm not sure if I could compose myself enough to say any of these words if something does come back, but I will go over them in my mind and try to be as prepared as I can. I'm still hoping that the daylight will provide some clues as to what's going on in here...
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Trav: The sun is beginning to rise, and I can barely make out the objects in the room. I can now see that one of the mannequins is lying on the floor - it is the mannequin on which I put the berry. It's difficult to see from here, but I do not think the berry is on its head anymore, nor does it appear to be anywhere on the floor nearby...
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Check out what happened to the other berries: those in the box, those on the floor?
I think we might now assume (to start with) that some animal, possibly a bird, lives on the rafters or in the ceiling, and is feeding on berries. This would also explain the nature of the beige stains on the floor. What do you think?
Check the rest of the room carefully. Did something change?
Next considerations: We have four animals described in the book, and five mannequins. Could be, that each of the animals belongs to one of the mannequins, and the fifth one is for you.
But I can't make any more sense out of this for the moment... going to keep it in mind for later.
Use the daylight, as days and nights seem to be quite short in that place. Are you sure you're on Earth?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Medieval Room

Ostap: Check out what happened to the other berries: those in the box, those on the floor?
Trav: The box is closed, and a check of it shows all berries still in there. Those that were squashed on the floor are still there.
I think we might now assume (to start with) that some animal, possibly a bird, lives on the rafters or in the ceiling, and is feeding on berries. Trav: Hmmm, this is making sense to me...
This would also explain the nature of the beige stains on the floor. What do you think?
Trav: Looking at the consistency and color, I would agree that it could very well be bird droppings. There are some fresh drops over near the mannequins, still wet, and it is not thick enough to be paint.
Check the rest of the room carefully. Did something change? Trav: I do not see any changes other than the toppled mannequin and the missing berry
Next considerations: We have four animals described in the book, and five mannequins. Could be, that each of the animals belongs to one of the mannequins, and the fifth one is for you.
But I can't make any more sense out of this for the moment... going to keep it in mind for later.
Trav: Ok
Use the daylight, as days and nights seem to be quite short in that place. Are you sure you're on Earth? Trav: Yes, I'm pretty sure of this
Ixoye: Don't let this concern you too much, as the length of days and nights in this puzzle serves only to provide progress in the action.
Jennifer (Tigger32382)
Posted on Tuesday, December 13, 2005 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

next night, try putting some berries in your hand and saying nullu daw. see if a bird will land on your arm. you might want to put on the leather gloves from the "tunic wearer" first so you don't get scratched
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Just a thought. I think we do have a bird involved, but I don't think a bird would make the rafters creak (unless it is scary big). I seem to recall that you didn't see where the gorilla from the last room went. He may have entered this room and climbed to the rafters. Are the mannequins easy to knock over, or would it take something larger than a bird?
Ixoye724 (Ixoye724)
Posted on Wednesday, December 14, 2005 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOCATION: Medieval Room

Jenn: next night, try putting some berries in your hand and saying nullu daw. see if a bird will land on your arm. you might want to put on the leather gloves from the "tunic wearer" first so you don't get scratched
Trav: Diving for rodents, talking to gorillas, setting off explosives...it will be a miracle if I get out of here alive! Seriously, you guys have done superbly thus far, why should I doubt you now?

Ok, I have sat here until dark. The rafters have not creaked much at all. Now I can barely see anything in the room. By your request, I have put on the gloves from the mannequin. I'm holding one arm out, with the other hand near it with some berries. Here goes nothing...

"Nullu daw!"

A creak of the rafters, a flapping noise...AHH!! There is a HUGE bird that has just come down from above and landed on my wrist! I have to struggle to keep my arm out under the weight of this bird. I can now feel the bird gently plucking the berries from my other hand. Seconds later I think the berries are gone. The bird sits silently for a few minutes (I can feel my heartbeat in my ears). Then, the bird releases my wrist (am I glad you told me to put the gloves on!), and soon I hear the rafters creak, then silence...

man! that was something...


Heather: Just a thought. I think we do have a bird involved, but I don't think a bird would make the rafters creak (unless it is scary big).
Trav: Trust me, the bird is big enough, and those rafters are not that big

I seem to recall that you didn't see where the gorilla from the last room went. He may have entered this room and climbed to the rafters.
Trav: Highly doubtful - there is no way to climb these smooth walls, and I don't know of anything that could get up there without wings

Are the mannequins easy to knock over, or would it take something larger than a bird? Trav: They are easy to topple, they are not heavy and are only balanced on small makeshift pedestals