Archive through December 21, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - December 2005 » [woubit] Not forty two » Archive through December 21, 2005 « Previous Next »

Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The number is directly linked to your age.... correct?
The number that you buy is linked to your age? The choice of numbers that you select on them?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:04 am:

The number is directly linked to your age.... correct? indeed
The number that you buy is linked to your age? yes The choice of numbers that you select on them? no
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this one of those pointless statistics that somebody has figured out?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is your depression about the situation to do with how you see other people waste their money or how many you are 'advised' to buy yourself?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:06 am:

Is this one of those pointless statistics that somebody has figured out? pointless? Perhaps, but I would not describe it as entirely so

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:08 am:

Is your depression about the situation to do with how you see other people waste their money no or how many you are 'advised' to buy yourself? yes
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do you feel that it's not pointless because it confirms for you that there is no point in even buying a solitary one seeing as you 'should' be buying 28? So you save all your money.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:23 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:14 am:

Do you feel that it's not pointless because it confirms for you that there is no point in even buying a solitary one seeing as you 'should' be buying 28? So you save all your money. well, something like that :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm off now - nice to 'play live'
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 12:24 am:

I'm off now - nice to 'play live' indeed - almost like the old days on the LTPF when I wouldn't have needed 28 lottery tickets :) Goodnight Lynne.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So do you need 28 lottery tickets because, with the limited lifespan you have left, you must buy 28 each week to get a certain return on your money?
Is the return approximately zero?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 02:18 am:

So do you need 28 lottery tickets because, with the limited lifespan you have left, you must buy 28 each week to get a certain return on your money? well, not so much a "return on my money" - buying 28 tickets would not guarantee that, but...
Is the return approximately zero? no, but there is an equality involved...
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this an observation based on the average buying habits of everyone who plays the lottery?
Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

odds of winning relevant?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 06:00 pm:

Is this an observation based on the average buying habits of everyone who plays the lottery? no

By Lewis Zeiters (Lzeiters) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 06:03 pm:

odds of winning relevant? yes, indeed
Tim A. Dowd (Bodo)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

To confirm, 28 is the number of lottery tickets which must be purchased at one time per person to accomplish something? Relevant how many people would have to buy them? How often he/she/they would have to buy them? Did I use the correct tense in my previous questions (e. g. should I have asked "would have had")?

Would the accomplishment be reducing the odds of winning to even? Better-than-even?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tim A. Dowd (Bodo) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 06:37 pm:

To confirm, 28 is the number of lottery tickets which must be purchased at one time per person to accomplish something? yes Relevant how many people would have to buy them? yes How often he/she/they would have to buy them? no Did I use the correct tense in my previous questions (e. g. should I have asked "would have had")? the situation on which the puzzle is based could occur at any time in the near future - that is, until such time as the answer becomes 29

Would the accomplishment be reducing the odds of winning to even? no Better-than-even? no

I should say for the benefit of any laymen who may have wandered in that the National Lottery in England involves picking six numbers in the range 1-49. If those numbers match the ones randomly drawn, you win the jackpot. There are two draws per week.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But not many people do actually buy 28 at a time unless they are in a syndicate. Even if they knew this theory few could afford it. Is this all theoretical? Or am I off-track?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:28 pm:

But not many people do actually buy 28 at a time unless they are in a syndicate. Even if they knew this theory few could afford it. Is this all theoretical? Or am I off-track? somewhat. The idea is that for it to be in some way worth my while to buy lottery tickets, I would have to buy 28 of them.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The 'in some way' - means winning the jackpot? Or getting three matching numbers, or four or five or six or six plus the bonus ball or whatever other permutations there are (and I sell the wretched things - don't get me started on the variations of Hot Picks!)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:58 pm:

The 'in some way' - means winning the jackpot? Or getting three matching numbers, or four or five or six or six plus the bonus ball or whatever other permutations there are (and I sell the wretched things - don't get me started on the variations of Hot Picks!) it has to do only with my chances of winning the jackpot
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

28 tickets is sufficient to beat the odds of 1 in 14 million to win the jackpot?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the number needed vary according to your personal age? So different people need different quantities?