Archive through December 22, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 22, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 9:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You are in a room. Progress.
Placido Eustorgio (Enigami)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

4 walls?
Examine all the walls.
Examine ceiling and floor.
Do I possess any items?
Ed Mason (Logician)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Examine any objects or people inside the room (including self).
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Placido Eustorgio (Enigami) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 09:33 pm:

4 walls? indeed
Examine all the walls They are solid brick walls. There is a door set in one of them. In front of the door is a man with a book in his hand. On another wall is a calendar. There are no windows.
Examine ceiling and floor. a light bulb hangs from the ceiling, which otherwise appears normal. The light is on.
Do I possess any items? only a large canvas sack and the clothes you stand up in. A search through the pockets thereof reveals nothing.

By Ed Mason (Logician) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 09:42 pm:

Examine any objects or people inside the room (including self) there are no people inside the room but me and the man by the door. There are, however, a number of rather curious objects, to wit:

A beehive
A shotgun
A marble bust of the head and shoulders of a man
A cheeseboard with a wide variety of cheeses
A stereo system
A pure-bred Guernsey cow
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is this a Christmas puzzle?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Tuesday, December 20, 2005 - 11:43 pm:

Is this a Christmas puzzle? yes - I was running out of time to set one :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, it doesn't sound much like my wish list - you know, an Etch a Sketch and a tangerine
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:02 am:

Well, it doesn't sound much like my wish list - you know, an Etch a Sketch and a tangerine this contains more of an element of truth than may be dreamt of in your philosophy :)
Nessa (Lyra)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Progress = escape?
Relevant how you came to be in the room? If so, do tell.
Shakespeare relevant? I hope not...I haven't read
The Winter's Tale. :)

Can you please describe the calendar more?
Introduce yourself to the man. If you can see what book he's holding, please describe it. Otherwise, ask him about it.
Is the shotgun loaded?
Do you recognize the bust?
Is there any music in the stereo system? If so, please play it. If not, see if you can put on a radio station.
Try some cheese.
Pet the cow. Talk to her. Will she let you milk her?

Do I sense a pun lurking behind the curious objects?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

OK then, are these Christmas gifts? The Good Housekeeping guide to keeping your guests amused? (with the shotgun being reserved for the host when guests don't take the hint to leave even when the Ovaltine has been served)
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:48 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Eat some cheese and then take a nap.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Nessa (Lyra) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:17 am:

Progress = escape? if you're lucky :)
Relevant how you came to be in the room? If so, do tell. Not especially. I was just dreaming of a white Christmas, and all of a sudden...
Shakespeare relevant? no I hope not...I haven't read The Winter's Tale. in that case, you deserve to be pursued by a bear :)

Can you please describe the calendar more? it's an ordinary calendar. The page showing is January 2006.
Introduce yourself to the man. I have done so. He says that entrance to the next room is denied me. I have asked if it may be possible to enter later. "It is possible", he tells me. "But not now." If you can see what book he's holding, please describe it. The title page seems to be in German Otherwise, ask him about it "The Law", he says, "is the Law. That is all you need to know."
Is the shotgun loaded? yes
Do you recognize the bust? it looks very old indeed - I'd say it was made about a thousand years ago
Is there any music in the stereo system? no If so, please play it. If not, see if you can put on a radio station. this thing seems only to play CDs or DVDs. I can't tune it to a radio station.
Try some cheese. the selection seems mostly French. Camembert, Brie, Port Salut - hang on a minute, this one is Gouda... Wensleydale, Pont l'Eveque, Sage Derby...
Pet the cow. She seems an amicable sort Talk to her. but disinterested in the cricket scores, or beer, or curry, and I don't know about anything else Will she let you milk her? Strange. When I try, she appears to think it a good idea at first, but then makes her mind up that it isn't. I guess I lack certain qualifications.

Do I sense a pun lurking behind the curious objects? trust your instincts. Use the Force :)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 12:18 am:

OK then, are these Christmas gifts? yes The Good Housekeeping guide to keeping your guests amused? I am not qualified to answer this, but if they really are the Good Housekeeping guide to keeping my Christmas guests amused, my kith and kin are going to have a miserable Christmas (with the shotgun being reserved for the host when guests don't take the hint to leave even when the Ovaltine has been served) in my case, there is no need for such drastic measures. I find "Who's for going round Shepherd's Bush singing carols in the nude?" effective enough. Your mileage may vary.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the Christmas gifts yours? Gifts that you are planning to give to others?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 01:55 am:

Are the Christmas gifts yours? potentially Gifts that you are planning to give to others? if I ever acquire them, certainly. For svv of "others".
Nessa (Lyra)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

-in that case, you deserve to be pursued by a bear
Is that why it's chasing me?

I suppose just changing the calendar to a later page isn't sufficient to satisfy the man?...Or the cow?
Does anything in the room change if you change the calendar?

-trust your instincts. Use the Force
I was going to call you Obi-Wanbit, but it seemed to anger the bear.

Let's see...we could potentially get milk and honey (cow/beehive), sound and fury (stereo/gun), cheese...and a bust...on second thought, I'm going to abandon this line.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Nessa (Lyra) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 02:42 am:

-in that case, you deserve to be pursued by a bear
Is that why it's chasing me?

When on life's troublesome way
Terrors and dangers accrue
Till there's the Devil to pay,
How shall we carry it through?
Shakespeare, that oracle true,
Teacher in doubt or despair,
Told us the best that he knew -
Exit, pursued by a bear.

I suppose just changing the calendar to a later page isn't sufficient to satisfy the man? the man remains impassive ...Or the cow? the cow looks on, and makes no sound
Does anything in the room change if you change the calendar? only the calendar. But you notice a curious fact - the calendar has only two pages, the first being December 2005, and the last being January 2006.

-trust your instincts. Use the Force
I was going to call you Obi-Wanbit, but it seemed to anger the bear. Do, or do not. There is no bear. Yet.

Let's see...we could potentially get milk and honey a land flowing with... but I do not go up in thy midst, for I am a stiff-necked person sound and fury this puzzle is, on the other hand, a tale told by an idiot signifying nothing cheese...and a bust...on second thought, I'm going to abandon this line baby, I don't care. (This is a clue, not a piece of political incorrectitude.)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the marble bust of anybody in particular? Relevant?

"You" = the legendary Santa Claus? Relevant?
Jens Weber (Sundowner)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 9:06 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

just a guess: is the author of the book Franz Kafka?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 08:50 am:

Is the marble bust of anybody in particular? yes - it seems to be a bust of King Henri I of France Relevant? who knows?

"You" = the legendary Santa Claus? no - just your average run-of-the-mill woubit Relevant? no

By Jens Weber (Sundowner) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 09:06 am:

just a guess: is the author of the book Franz Kafka? indeed, and you know what that means :)
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there bees in the beehive? Is there honey?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Wednesday, December 21, 2005 - 05:32 pm:

Are there bees in the beehive? yes Is there honey? yes
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are beetles involved? Castellated buildings?