Archive through December 24, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 24, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 12:30 am:

Are beetles involved? not as yet, at any rate - there do not seem to be any beetles in this room Castellated buildings? I suppose the room might be in a castle, but from the inisde it's hard to tell. There are no windows in any of the walls.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What happens when you try to approach the bees?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 2:09 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 01:38 am:

What happens when you try to approach the bees? they begin to buzz rather menacingly the nearer I come to the hive. I'm not sure I want to get much closer - they are looking pretty agitated.
Arjun (Jun)
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 6:31 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Woubit, hi everybody...
Wow, as if lateral puzzles weren't tough enough, now it's Kafka...

Are these characters from one of Kafka's books?
Do they symbolise some philosophy?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Arjun (Jun) on Thursday, December 22, 2005 - 06:31 am:

Hi Woubit, hi everybody... Hello Arjun - good to se you again :)
Wow, as if lateral puzzles weren't tough enough, now it's Kafka... well, not really
Are these characters from one of Kafka's books? the chap by the door looks as though he might be
Do they symbolise some philosophy? not as far as I can tell - he just seems like a doorkeeper
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Woubit :)

Is any sort of Christmas song relevant here? poem? story? joke? myth?

the items you mention being in the room - is there any sort of hierarchy involved? are they the normal size one would expect for each? are they the normal colour? do they make the normal sound?

you said you carry a large sack - did the items in the room come out of the sack? will they be going in the sack? do you wish them to? do you expect at least one item to be in the sack at some point? will the man be in the sack? was he ever in the sack?

is the sack to be filled?

the bust - is it relevant who the man is? is he famous? should we be finding out who he was?

do any of the items you name interact with each other in a relevant way?

do you wish to exit the room? are you in any danger? is it relevant how you got into the room? was it by your choice?

could the doorkeeper let you out if he wished? does he wish you harm? wish you well?
will the doorkeeper let you out if certain conditions are fulifilled?
is there any relevant sound in the room? smell?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 04:20 pm:

Hi Woubit Hello Kdoc :)

Is any sort of Christmas song relevant here? yes poem? story? joke? myth?

the items you mention being in the room - is there any sort of hierarchy involved? they seem to be somewhat haphazardly arranged - I can't see any hierarchy as yet are they the normal size one would expect for each? yes are they the normal colour? as far as I know - certainly none of them looks particularly oddly coloured do they make the normal sound? the bees buzz as bees do, the cheese keeps its own counsel as cheese does...

you said you carry a large sack - did the items in the room come out of the sack? no will they be going in the sack? I imagine that at some point I will need some of these things, so it is a good job I have a sack do you wish them to? I don't know yet do you expect at least one item to be in the sack at some point? yes will the man be in the sack? not unless he wants to get into the sack. He is a much larger bloke than I am, and I have the impression that getting into sacks isn't the sort of thing he really goes in for much. I'll ask him nicely if you like, but... was he ever in the sack? not as far as I know

is the sack to be filled? I don't really know whether it will be filled

the bust - is it relevant who the man is? yes is he famous? not very should we be finding out who he was? good idea, He is King Henri I of France, born around 1008, ascended to the French throne in 1031, died in 1060

do any of the items you name interact with each other in a relevant way? no - they're just sitting there not doing a whole lot at the moment. Apart from the bees, which are doing a lot of buzzing.

do you wish to exit the room? Well, if I eat all the cheese I guess I could survive here for a while. But after that, I'm going to need to get out somehow are you in any danger? not as long as I don't go too near the bees, although I'm still a bit nervous of asking the doorkeeper to get into a sack is it relevant how you got into the room? no was it by your choice? not at all - I seem to have fallen victim to a disease afflicting several LTPF members at the moment. The symptoms are that you find yourself in a strange place with no idea how you got there. Whereas this is normally induced by too much beer, on this occasion it wasn't. Do you have any medical advice?

could the doorkeeper let you out if he wished? there's a thought. Rather than asking him to get in a sack, I will ask him if I can get out. does he wish you harm? He seems pretty much not to care one way or the other. All he says is that I do not have with me what I need to get out of this room. wish you well? I thanked him and wished him the compliments of the season. He looked at me.
will the doorkeeper let you out if certain conditions are fulfilled? that is, I believe, what his words implied
is there any relevant sound in the room? the bees are humming smell? and so is the cheese. The cow is as yet making no noise, and nor is the stereo system. All is calm, though all is not particularly bright.
Rachel (Myth)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I can't say I understand this puzzle at all, but I'm certainly immensely entertained.

If the cheese is, as you say humming, you might want to run for your life, by the way.

"the bees are humming smell? and so is the cheese."

Any relation between the king and the cow? (perhaps he liked cows in his life time or somethiing?)
king and the cheese?
cow and the cheese?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Rachel (Myth) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:03 pm:

I can't say I understand this puzzle at all, but I'm certainly immensely entertained Well, I will try to maintain jollity while increasing clarity :)

If the cheese is, as you say humming, you might want to run for your life, by the way. I would, but the room is small and there is only one door with a large chap in front of it who does not look like the sort to say "After you, my good fellow" at any time in the near future.}

Any relation between the king and the cow? the cow does not look very much like a descendant of Henri I of France, although I suppose that some odd things might have gone on in the Dark Ages (perhaps he liked cows in his life time or something?) History, I am afraid, does not record. He wasn't awfully fond of his barons, but they tended not to be all that bovine.
king and the cheese? Well, many of the cheeses are French. If you like, I could look at them more closely to determine whether they might resemble members of the Capetian dynasty, or anything else
cow and the cheese? possibly. The cow is not looking at the cheese with an especially proprietorial air, however.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What does the doorman require, to permit you to exit?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:43 pm:

What does the doorman require, to permit you to exit? I do not know. All he will tell me is that what I need is to be found in the room, but I will need to combine certain objects in a particular way, and must give that some thought. "If", he adds, "you are capable of thought", which seems a trifle uncivil, but I do not believe it would be in my best interests to pursue this.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything written on the shotgun?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are these all of the relevant objects?

A beehive
A shotgun
A marble bust of the head and shoulders of a man (French King)
A cheeseboard with a wide variety of cheeses
A stereo system
A pure-bred Guernsey cow

Anything else to include?

Does the combination of objects somehow resemble a song?
Or is contained in a song?

Are any puns involved?

Do they all need to be utelised?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What is relevant here about King Henri I :
Name?
Nationality?
Politics?
Religion?
Time period?
Relationships?
Actions?
Other?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:57 pm:

Is there anything written on the shotgun? the words "James Purdey and Sons" appear on the stock

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

Are these all of the relevant objects?

A beehive
A shotgun
A marble bust of the head and shoulders of a man (French King)
A cheeseboard with a wide variety of cheeses
A stereo system
A pure-bred Guernsey cow

Anything else to include? these are all I can see in the room, apart from the doorkeeper and his book

Does the combination of objects somehow resemble a song? as the setter of the puzzle, I could of course answer questions like this, and I will answer some but not all of them. As the person trapped in the room, I don't know :)
Or is contained in a song?

Are any puns involved? yes

Do they all need to be utelised? no
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:14 pm:

What is relevant here about King Henri I :
Name? this one
Nationality? and this one
Politics?
Religion?
Time period?
Relationships?
Actions?
Other? and nothing else. Again, I won't answer all questions of this type, but... well, it is Christmas :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I note that you are able to provide details about the objects that you can see in the room. I also note the relevance of the identity of the bust of King Henri I.

As the setter of the puzzle can you tell us if the other details about the objects are necessary or whether they are red herrings?

i.e is it worth us building up a detailed profile of the objects? Or does it simply add to the atomosphere?

Are the makers of the shotgun relevant?

Is Thierry Henry relevant?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please could you check email.
I'm still a million miles away but have an idea...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Was your reference to "Baby I don't care" associated with Buddy Holly - with "Holly" being a clue?
Alizon (Alizon)
Posted on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Cheese - bees

Is this along the correct path?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:27 pm:

I note that you are able to provide details about the objects that you can see in the room. I also note the relevance of the identity of the bust of King Henri I. well spotted :)

As the setter of the puzzle can you tell us if the other details about the objects are necessary or whether they are red herrings? Nothing in this puzzle will prove irrelevant. But there is a way to go...

i.e is it worth us building up a detailed profile of the objects? Or does it simply add to the atomosphere? almost no knowledge will be wasted...

Are the makers of the shotgun relevant? ...but this will

Is Thierry Henry relevant? Possess your soul in patience. All will become clear.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:51 pm:

Please could you check email. I have done so
I'm still a million miles away but have an idea... nous, as Thierry Henry would say, verrons

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 06:58 pm:

Was your reference to "Baby I don't care" associated with Buddy Holly - with "Holly" being a clue? no, but bonus marks for ingenuity far beyond the prowess of a humble puzzle setter :)

By Alizon (Alizon) on Friday, December 23, 2005 - 07:14 pm:

Cheese - bees

Is this along the correct path? no, but bonus marks as above :) I should say that "humming" in English is a colloquialism for "smelling awful", which is the only reason I used it in previous replies. Insincere apologies for any confusion that may have been caused.
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you hear any sounds from outside the room?

Does anything suggest if the door leads to another room, or to the outside?

Is it cold in the room? dusty?

The different makes of cheese, are they relevant? Are they labeled in some way?

Is anything written on the stereo, like the brand or anything else? Any discs inside?

Does the bust have Henri I written on a label?

Is the cow chained or loose?

Anything special with the cheeseboard, if you examine it closely?

Is the bust solid, or does it maybe have a hidden compartment? Anything hidden underneath?

Is the cow branded? If so, can you read what it says?