Archive through December 24, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 24, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 12:17 pm:

Can you hear any sounds from outside the room? no - the walls appear pretty solid

Does anything suggest if the door leads to another room, or to the outside? the doorkeeper informs me that the time to worry about that will be when I have what I need to leave

Is it cold in the room? no - nor especially warm dusty? no - whoevere looks after this place keeps it in pretty good order, considering the menagerie

The different makes of cheese, are they relevant? possibly Are they labeled in some way? they are all in boxes or wrapping paper which is labelled. There is a large round Camembert, a small triangular Port Salut, a wedge of Wensleydale, a square block of Brie, an odd-shaped chunk of Sage Derby, a round Gouda, a pyramid of Pont l'Eveque, and a piece of Gorgonzola of somewhat indeterminate shape.

Is anything written on the stereo, like the brand or anything else? it seems to be made by Bang and Olufsen Any discs inside? no

Does the bust have Henri I written on a label? it is engraved on the small plinth on which the bust ists

Is the cow chained or loose? it is not tethered, but shows no inclination to go anywhere

Anything special with the cheeseboard, if you examine it closely? the board itself is an ordinary block of wood. There is a small knife for cutting the cheese.

Is the bust solid, or does it maybe have a hidden compartment? the bust is solid marble Anything hidden underneath? not that I can see

Is the cow branded? no If so, can you read what it says?

And hello again Tommy - it's been a while :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Can you unwrap the cheeses?
Does this reveal anything?
Can you cut the cheeses?
Does this reveal anything?

How about you consuming all of the cheese?
Or do you think that you should do something else with the cheeses?

Please can you offer the cheeses to the doorman.
Does that do anything?

Is there anything useful on the cheese wrappers?

Does the cow need milking?
Is she uncomfortable?
Does the cow have a name?
Can the cow converse with you?

Do you think Guernsy is relevant in itself?

Is there any CD or DVD in the room?
Anything that you could make one of the above with?
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Yes, Hi Woubit - been a while... :)

There are both a knife and a gun in the room, and you have been able to get close enough to the knife to read the writings on the cheese labels, as well as checking the gun for being loaded. Didn't the guard (which is what he seems to be) look a bit worried at all with you near those weapons?

Have you asked the man if he is guarding you? If not, do so. The same about if the door is locked. Is it so that you can't get out without his help?

Ask him if "this" is some sort of test (of you).

Does the man know how you came about to suddenly be in the room? and/or why? did he have anything to do with it?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any markings on the either of the two pages of the calendar?
Could the “Bred” in “pure-bred” double for bread?
Is the shotgun loaded?
Is it possible that the different cheese shapes could combine to make a useful object or picture?

Which of the items present would fit into the sack?
Try putting different things into the sack – does anything emerge?
Are there any orifices or switches/buttons in the bust? (I ask that, already knowing that there is nothing further relevant about the bust – or is there?!)

Are there any external speakers on the stereo system?
If so, could they be used for anything useful?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 02:04 pm:

Can you unwrap the cheeses? most of them are only partly wrapped - I can unwrap the others. They are pretty ordinary cheeses.
Does this reveal anything? nothing special
Can you cut the cheeses? I'll try a few Does this reveal anything? just the insides of cheeses, I'm afraid.

How about you consuming all of the cheese? there's an awful lot of it. I think I would be ill. But I'll try a little of each - they don't seem to be poisoned.
Or do you think that you should do something else with the cheeses? Curiously enough, the doorkeeper watches with some interest as I cut and eat little pieces of cheese. Maybe he thinks I ought to be doing something with them...

Please can you offer the cheeses to the doorman.
Does that do anything? He doesn't take the cheeses, but here is a strange thing - as I offer him the Brie, he says "Not quite". I don't know what he means, and he seems to be a man of few words, as he vouchsafes nothing more.

Is there anything useful on the cheese wrappers? just the names of cheeses

Does the cow need milking? I approach the cow in as conciliatory a fashion as I am able. She allows me to come near, but if I make any sort of attempt to actually milk her, she shakes her head vigorously. The doorkeeper seems to find this amusing.
Is she uncomfortable? she does not seem in any distress
Does the cow have a name? I do not know. Would you like to suggest one?
Can the cow converse with you? she seems to have an even more limited vocabulary than the doorman. The only word she appears to know is the twelfth letter of the Greek alphabet. I'm not sure we're going to make a whole lot of progress this way.

Do you think Guernsey is relevant in itself? I don't believe so

Is there any CD or DVD in the room? no
Anything that you could make one of the above with? I suppose I could use some of the Gouda, but I'm not sure that's really going to help.

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 02:15 pm:

There are both a knife and a gun in the room, and you have been able to get close enough to the knife to read the writings on the cheese labels, as well as checking the gun for being loaded. Didn't the guard (which is what he seems to be) look a bit worried at all with you near those weapons? I have the impression that the guard is well able to take care of himself should I proffer any violence. As to checking the gun for being loaded, I haven't actually done this yet. But there does appear to be a single cartridge in the chamber.

Have you asked the man if he is guarding you? Indeed. He informs me that unless I offer him what he needs to be able to let me out of this room, here I will stay. If not, do so. The same about if the door is locked. The door may or may not be locked - I have not been able to get past the doorman to discover. Is it so that you can't get out without his help? That does appear to be an accurate summary of the position.

Ask him if "this" is some sort of test (of you). All he will say is that I must give him what he requires.

Does the man know how you came about to suddenly be in the room? and/or why? He may know, but he is not prepared to tell me. "It does not matter how you got in", he observes. "Only how you get out." did he have anything to do with it? he will not say

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 02:55 pm:

Are there any markings on the either of the two pages of the calendar? just the days of the months of December 2005 and January 2006. The 25th of December is in red, the 6th of January in purple. All the other numbers are in black.
Could the “Bred” in “pure-bred” double for bread? no
Is the shotgun loaded? yes - see above
Is it possible that the different cheese shapes could combine to make a useful object or picture? It's possible, but I am not trying to win the Turner prize by making art out of cheese, although I have not the slightest doubt that I would win easily if I did.

Which of the items present would fit into the sack? the cow is too large, and I doubt that the bees would take kindly to being put in a sack. The rest would fit easily.
Try putting different things into the sack – does anything emerge? I feel a bit like Eeyore putting his balloon into the Useful Pot for Putting Things In and taking it out again. The things go into the sack when I put them in, and emerge unchanged when I take them out.
Are there any orifices or switches/buttons in the bust? (I ask that, already knowing that there is nothing further relevant about the bust – or is there?!) the bust is a simple marble bust, with no buttons or switches. It is solid,,

Are there any external speakers on the stereo system? no - it's one of those self-contained affairs
If so, could they be used for anything useful?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please could you remove the cartridge from the shotgun. I think we need it, don't you?!

Do you think this could be used for anything useful?
Please offer it to the doorman.

If the doorkeeper does not want it, do you think we could combine it with something else?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps we need to combine the cartridge with the brie?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 05:13 pm:

Please could you remove the cartridge from the shotgun. I have done so I think we need it, don't you?! It is possible...

Do you think this could be used for anything useful?
Please offer it to the doorman. the doorman shakes his head, but not unkindly. "Almost", he says, and will say no more.

If the doorkeeper does not want it, do you think we could combine it with something else? That is certainly a possibility. What would you suggest?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

see 05.15pm
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 05:15 pm:

Perhaps we need to combine the cartridge with the brie? Could very well be :) Again, I am open to suggestions...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I suggest that we need to insert the cartridge into the brie or at least, into a pice of brie. Does that seem complete or is there something missing?

I wonder if we need to do anything else to the brie??

We could check by offering it to the doorkeeper.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 05:23 pm:

I suggest that we need to insert the cartridge into the brie or at least, into a pice of brie. Does that seem complete or is there something missing? let us see

I wonder if we need to do anything else to the brie?? well, it's a good job we didn't cut it about too badly or eat too much of it, for...

We could check by offering it to the doorkeeper. ...the doorkeeper smiles broadly. "Just what I needed", he says. "A cartridge in a square Brie!"

He opens the door (which was not locked), and with a courtly bow ushers me through into...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Having thought about it, the block of brie is square so I think we should insert the cartridge into the whole block and offer it to the Doorman.

Does he accept it?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahhh!!!

:)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So where are we now?
Are there any new items of interest round about?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

And are you taking all of the original items with you?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 05:35 pm:

So where are we now? I am in another room...
Are there any new items of interest round about? ...which contains:

A pack of playing cards
An Argentine Merino sheep
A compact disk
An aquarium
A telephone
A calendar on the wall

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 05:58 pm:

And are you taking all of the original items with you? the doorkeeper in the first room informs me that I will always be able to return to any room I have previously visited. The doorkeeper in the second room nods in agreement, but otherwise does not move from in front of the door he is guarding.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

LOL :)

Now let's see ...

Please can you tell us what is in the aquarium?
(any turtles?)
Can you play the CD with the stereo and listen to what plays?
(any bagpipes?)

Please an you inspect the playing cards. Anything of note or anything unusual?

Could you try introducing the sheep to the cow?
What happens?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 06:34 pm:

Please can you tell us what is in the aquarium?
(any turtles?) no turtles, but good thinking :) There are some gouramis, angel fish, cichlids, the usual sort of thing. There are some shellfish on the bottom of the tank, some seaweed and some algae.
Can you play the CD with the stereo and listen to what plays? It appears on closer examination not to be an audio CD. Rather, it is a Windows XP Professional installation CD. Putting it in the stereo system has no effect.
(any bagpipes?) patience :)

Please an you inspect the playing cards. Certainly Anything of note or anything unusual? well, it depends on your point of view. The aces and the spot cards are normal. The court cards are labelled R, D and V.

Could you try introducing the sheep to the cow? I will try, but we have not as yet named either the cow or the sheep. Let us call the cow Daisy and the sheep Diego. "Daisy - Diego. Diego - Daisy."
What happens? both animals turn their heads and stare gravely but disconcertingly at me, as if to say "You are a complete berk". I tend to agree with them.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are the names of the kings written on the king cards? If so, what are they?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 06:55 pm:

Are the names of the kings written on the king cards? yes, indeed If so, what are they? the king of spades is King David. The king of hearts is Charlemagne. The king of diamonds is Julius Caesar. The king of clubs is Alexander the Great.
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm... then what names, if any, are written on the other court cards?