Archive through December 24, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 24, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:08 pm:

Hmm... then what names, if any, are written on the other court cards? the queens of spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs are respectively Pallas (Athena), Judith, Rachel and Argine, whoever she may have been (looks like an anagram of "regina" to me). The jacks are Hogier (one of Charlemagne's knights), La Hire (a legendary French warrior), Hector, and Lancelot.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is there anything of note written on the Windows Xp disk? Is it in a box with any documentation?

So the playing cards are French?

The Kings are Hebrew, Frankish, Roman and Greek? I wonder if that is of any use?

Are any of the shellfish murex by any chance?

Do you think we could regard the noblemen as Lords?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:21 pm:

Is there anything of note written on the Windows Xp disk? nothing out of the ordinary Is it in a box with any documentation? no

So the playing cards are French? yes

The Kings are Hebrew, Frankish, Roman and Greek? indeed I wonder if that is of any use? who knows? The doorkeeper doesn't seem all that interested in them, or in playing a game of cribbage.

Are any of the shellfish murex by any chance? yes

Do you think we could regard the noblemen as Lords? no, but an ingenious notion :)
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was thinking that one of them might be a hen, but I have no idea which, and in any case that is presumably of no use to us at this point.

Are any of the objects purple?
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

*googles murex*

Never mind.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:31 pm:

I was thinking that one of them might be a hen, nice idea - one of them might easily have been :) but I have no idea which, and in any case that is presumably of no use to us at this point. I would not have thought so

Are any of the objects purple? no, but Simon has had an interesting idea...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the sheep yield any wool (that we could make something from)?
Perhaps we could make some gloves?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:33 pm:

*googles murex*

Hobbs hints blue - straight he turtle eats.
Nobbs prints blue - claret crowns his cup.
Nokes outdares Stokes in azure feats.
Both gorge. Who fished the murex up?
What porridge had John Keats?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:35 pm:

Does the sheep yield any wool (that we could make something from)? good thinking, but I'm not sure the sheep would take kindly to having its wool yanked out by the roots...
Perhaps we could make some gloves? One never knows, do one?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do any of the royal persons, Knights or nobility have any gauntlets?
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If not, could you cut some wool using the knife from the cheeseboard?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:39 pm:

Do any of the royal persons, Knights or nobility have any gauntlets? no, but a nice try
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:42 pm:

If not, could you cut some wool using the knife from the cheeseboard? now, that really is a nice try :) Unfortunately, when Diego sees me approaching with a knife in my hand, he appears to misunderstand my motives and starts careering around the room. Fortunately, he just manages to avoid knocking over the aquarium, but he does tread on the doorkeeper's foot. Finally, he backs into the far corner of the room by the telephone, and looks balefully at me. "You idiot" says the doorkeeper.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something In The Air

I must admit I've been holding back
And I got somethin' to say
Now I won't let the words get in my way
I guess I'm feeling my confidence
'Cause the time has come
Time to make the cat let go of my tongue

But I don't know how to say it
Maybe we could play this little game
I hope you catch my drift when I say
It rhymes with...
Dove

Have you gotten the picture yet
Or should I say it twice
Maybe the first time around I didn't get it quite right
I wanna make myself perfectly clear
So there's no doubt in your mind
I wanna let you know how I'm feeling inside

It rhymes with...
Glove

Oh what I'm thinkin' of sounds like
Rough, tough, all that stuff
It's one word, one syllable
It feels so unbelievable

It rhymes with...

Oh I don't know how to say it
It rhymes with...
Dove
You know like, shove
Or glove

Lila McCann
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if a Duff could be applied here?
Is there anything which could be recognised as duff anywhere?
Ian (Image)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Quote:

A cartridge in a square Brie!

I don't get it....

Is the solution to this room a pun too?

Pick up the phone, and see if you can phone anyone...
Examine the calendar. Is it the same as the one in the previous room?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

As I finish singing this, the doorkeeper looks at me curiously. "If you don't mind", he says finally, "I'd rather play cribbage."
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Among the definitions of "duff" are:

1. Decaying leaves and branches covering a forest floor.
2. Fine coal; slack.

I am wondering if the seaweed and algae could be described as duff?

Am I allowing my imagination to run away with me?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:57 pm:

I wonder if a Duff could be applied here? not that I can think of. It seems to me that we were doing fine with the wool and the cheese knife idea, if only there were some way of not frightening poor Diego...
Is there anything which could be recognised as duff anywhere? well, Windows XP Professional isn't a whole lot of use.

By Ian (Image) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 07:58 pm:

I don't get it.... then you had better trade your true love in for a new model, so that you will get it :)

Is the solution to this room a pun too? yes. As Simon and John have correctly deduced, in order to progress from this room, I will need to give the doorkeeper two purple gloves.

Pick up the phone, and see if you can phone anyone... good idea. But none of the numbers I try seems to work.
Examine the calendar. even better idea Is it the same as the one in the previous room? not in the least. The calendar shows the month of January, with the 29th in red and the other numbers in black. The year, rather curiously, is shown as 4702. It appears to be an advertising calendar, but I cannot recognise the writing underneath the dates. There is, however, a string of ten Arabic digits at the bottom of the calendar - 1874525967.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:00 pm:

Among the definitions of "duff" are:

1. Decaying leaves and branches covering a forest floor.
2. Fine coal; slack.

I am wondering if the seaweed and algae could be described as duff? most ingenious, and certainly in a forest, but not the right one :)

Am I allowing my imagination to run away with me? you had better not do that. Things are bad enough in here what with sheep charging around all over the shop.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps Diego would like to nibble on some seaweed?
Could you try it?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:10 pm:

Perhaps Diego would like to nibble on some seaweed? perhaps
Could you try it? I put the knife down, reach into the aquarium and grab a handful of seaweed. As I approach Diego, he tenses as if to run, but seeing that I mean him no harm, he eventually takes the proffered seaweed in his mouth. Unfortunately, it seems that Argentine Merino sheep do not like seaweed, for he promptly spits it out again and looks at me with an air of reproach mingled with disgust. The doorkeeper sighs deeply, and Daisy the cow emits a "moo" with the faintest hint of mockery behind it.