Archive through December 24, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 24, 2005 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hmm, King David (in the pack of cards) was a shepherd but I don't suppose he would help?

(I'll be back later.)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:23 pm:

Hmm, King David (in the pack of cards) was a shepherd but I don't suppose he would help? I don't suppose he would either :)

(I'll be back later.) I expect I'll still be here :)
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I doubt Diego would like to eat cheese, but since this is a lateral puzzle, perhaps it is worth a try.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 8:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 08:29 pm:

I doubt Diego would like to eat cheese, but since this is a lateral puzzle, perhaps it is worth a try. I will certainly try - perhaps some Sage Derby, as of the selection it is the one that most resembles grass. At first, Diego is reluctant to have me approach him at all, let alone offer him food. But he is at heart a trusting sort, and he eventually consents to take a piece of cheese from my hand. He doesn't spit it out, which is a good sign. Indeed, he appears to be eating it with some degree of relish, as Daisy the cow looks on in approval - presumably she likes to see creatures enjoying dairy produce.

Diplomatic relations with the animal community having been re-established, perhaps we may make some progress...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

That's good!
So is Diego trusting enough to permit you to shear of some of his (must be a ram) wool?
If so, are you adept enough to knit a some gloves from the wool?
Will you need any tools?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David, we are hoping that you can shear the wool from Diego's back with the cheese knife and manufacture the wool into a rudimentary pair of gloves and then dye them purple using the murex shellfish. They should look something like this:

purple gloves

Then, please offer them to the doorkeeper
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 09:25 pm:

That's good!
So is Diego trusting enough to permit you to shear of some of his (must be a ram) wool? the trouble is that as soon as he sees the knife, he will once again go into panic mode
If so, are you adept enough to knit a some gloves from the wool? I have some rudimentary knoweldge of knitting, learned at my mother's knee (and other low joints).
Will you need any tools? I imagine knitting needles will be required. Or some approximation thereto, at any rate.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 09:46 pm:

David, we are hoping that you can shear the wool from Diego's back with the cheese knife and manufacture the wool into a rudimentary pair of gloves and then dye them purple using the murex shellfish. an exceptionally fine plan :) One or two details remain to be sorted out, however...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So we still need to either fool, or reassure Diego somehow?
And need somthing that you can knit with?
Do you think there is anything else required?

Do you imagine that you could use some fishbones as knitting instruments? If so, you know where to get them!
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:14 pm:

So we still need to either fool, or reassure Diego somehow? well, we need perhaps only to ensure that he does not see me with a knife in my hand as I approach him
And need somthing that you can knit with? I would think so
Do you think there is anything else required? no - that should just about do it

Do you imagine that you could use some fishbones as knitting instruments? If so, you know where to get them! Perhaps. But I have given a solemn undertaking that no animals will be harmed in the making of this puzzle :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Perhaps you could use the knife to slice some slithers from the wooden cheese board and these could be employed as knitting devices?

To conceal the knife from Diego, can it be as simple as putting it in your pocket, feeding him some Sage Derby and then doing the deed while he is munching on the cheese?

Please could you inspect the telephone for anything interesting?
And the same goes for the stereo system, to see if there is anything that we have missed.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:28 pm:

Perhaps you could use the knife to slice some slithers from the wooden cheese board and these could be employed as knitting devices? although the knife is adequate for cutting cheese, and will probably shear a handful of sheep's wool, I don't think the blade is quite up to cutting through a block of what looks like pretty solid mahogany. Teak, perhaps.

To conceal the knife from Diego, can it be as simple as putting it in your pocket, feeding him some Sage Derby and then doing the deed while he is munching on the chesse? I think that what needs to happen is that he mustn't at any stage see the knife.

Please could you inspect the telephone for anything interesting? it's an ordinary push-button telephone, with a cord connecting it to a wall socket. It has a dialling tone, but as I say, all the numbers I know don't seem to work here.
And the same goes for the stereo system, to see if there is anything that we have missed. that just appears to be a simple, though well-made, CD player. I can't find anything out of the ordinary about it.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

It sounds as though we either have to make the knife invisible or blindfold Diego. Which do you recommend?

Do you think it could be worth dismantling the stereo unit? Could you perhaps use the prongs from the electrical plug, as knitting needles?

Is there anything else in the Aquarium that seems useful? (Are there any manufactered objects such as a pump etc?)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Regarding Diego, I suppose we could try to send him to sleep somehow - do you think that is a viable option?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Have you tried ringing directory enquiries or the operator?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:44 pm:

It sounds as though we either have to make the knife invisible or blindfold Diego. Which do you recommend? the latter might be a little easier than the former. I cannot do magic, but...

Do you think it could be worth dismantling the stereo unit? it's very much a solid-state piece of equipment. I woould not know how to begin dismantling it. Could you perhaps use the prongs from the electrical plug, as knitting needles? they're (a) too short and (b) firmly attached to the plug

Is there anything else in the Aquarium that seems useful? not a whole lot (Are there any manufactered objects such as a pump etc?) no - it's a very simple sort of an aquarium
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:55 pm:

Regarding Diego, I suppose we could try to send him to sleep somehow - do you think that is a viable option? I think the blindfold idea might be worth a shot - otherwise, I guess we could just wait until he falls asleep

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 10:58 pm:

Have you tried ringing directory enquiries or the operator? yes - all I get is a high-pitched whine
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about popping the sack over Diego's head?
Or how about placing some Sage Derby inside the sack so that he eats while his vision is concealed?

Could you ask the doorman whether he has any miscellaneous items?

Is there any wax in the beehive?
Is the honey in a honeycomb?
Is there anything else about the beehive that could be useful?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:19 pm:

How about popping the sack over Diego's head? a brilliant idea :)
Or how about placing some Sage Derby inside the sack so that he eats while his vision is concealed? better yet. Just one thing, though - it's a pretty large sack. I'm going to need to tie it with something once I've got it over his head.

Could you ask the doorman whether he has any miscellaneous items? He informs me that it is my job to give things to him, not the other way round.

Is there any wax in the beehive? It's not easy to get near enough to the beehive to see. The bees don't seem keen on the idea of letting me approach.
Is the honey in a honeycomb? as far as I can tell, yes
Is there anything else about the beehive that could be useful? in the present situation, I don't think so.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you had something to make smoke with, do you think it will be worthwhile engaging the beehive?

I imagine we could use the telephone cord to secure the sack around Diego's head - what do you reckon?

I wonder if it would be worth dismantling the shotgun?

We still need a knitting device don't we?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

After we have gotten the wool from Diego, perhaps you could wear the sack as a protective garment to engage the beehive with?
You could also temporarily use the purple gloves when you've completed them.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Some of these calendars have the coiled concertina metal ring at the top that holds the pages, does this one in the room have one?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:31 pm:

If you had something to make smoke with, do you think it will be worthwhile engaging the beehive? perhaps

I imagine we could use the telephone cord to secure the sack around Diego's head - what do you reckon? seems like a pretty good plan to me. Let's put it into action.

With some Sage Derby in one hand and the sack in the other, I approach Diego, who seems pleased at the prospect of some more cheese. Curious, this - I thought he and his kind were herbivores. Perhaps he's the black sheep of the family.

As he bends to take the food from my hand, it is a simple matter for me to whip the sack over his head and shoulders, securing it with the telephone cord.

Diego doesn't seem all that bothered. I'd expected him to panic somewhat, and was worried that he might start running around even though he couldn't see - I doubt the aquarium would survive that. But I guess he has some Sage Derby to eat while he's in the sack.

At any rate, I can now remove some wool from his back with the cheese knife. He won't miss it - I'll only need about three or four ounces. That done, I untie the sack and release Diego, who looks at me as if to say "What was all that about?" before finishing the last of his cheese.

I wonder if it would be worth dismantling the shotgun? Well, your other suggestions have been working well, so let's try this one... I now have a dismantled shotgun, but nothing looks as though it is going to be a whole lot of use.

We still need a knitting device don't we? well, although I can just about spin this small amount of wool by hand, I certainly can't knit with my fingers.