Archive through December 25, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 25, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:33 pm:

After we have gotten the wool from Diego, perhaps you could wear the sack as a protective garment to engage the beehive with? Interesting notion. I climb into the sack and start jumping towards the beehive. Reminds me of the sack race at school - I was never any good at that. Both doorkeepers and Daisy the cow burst into mocking laughter, and I realise that this really is a pretty silly idea :)
You could also temporarily use the purple gloves when you've completed them. I still need some knitting needles.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

Some of these calendars have the coiled concertina metal ring at the top that holds the pages, does this one in the room have one? Indeed it does. And what's more, it appears to be a golden colour...

Although it is still Christmas Eve according to the forum clock, this is still slow. Wherefore, may I take this opportunity to wish the doorkeepers, Daisy the cow, Diego the sheep, and those who've been reading this daft puzzle a very merry Christmas :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm glad that you were able to spin the wool by your bare hands - I hadn't thought about that issue :)

I imagine this may sound a bit far fetched but is there any cheese hard enough that could be carved into sticks for using knitting needles?

I don't suppose there is anything from the shotgun that could be used as a knitting device? (I'm not familiar with the innards of a shotgun)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 24, 2005 - 11:54 pm:

I'm glad that you were able to spin the wool by your bare hands - I hadn't thought about that issue When Adam delved and Eve span, who was then the gentleman? (The answer was of course Adam, but the mystics of the Church had concealed this dangerous knowledge.)

I imagine this may sound a bit far fetched but is there any cheese hard enough that could be carved into sticks for using knitting needles? I'm afraid not. Only the cheese used to make British Rail sandwiches is that hard, and there isn't any of it here.

I don't suppose there is anything from the shotgun that could be used as a knitting device? again, I fear not (I'm not familiar with the innards of a shotgun) neither was I until comparatively recently, but James Purdey and Sons appear to have shown a wanton disregard for the plight of those who wish to use their creation for knitting, rather than for shooting things
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I somehow feel that the gold coloured metal ring thingy could come in useful later on, but for now, I don't suppose you could use the two ends as knitting needles could you?

If not, I shall soon be running short on ideas but I'll stick with it.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:10 am:

I somehow feel that the gold coloured metal ring thingy could come in useful later on, but for now, I don't suppose you could use the two ends as knitting needles could you? I can't, I'm afraid. Too flexible, for one thing.

If not, I shall soon be running short on ideas but I'll stick with it. well, you might take another look at the calendar...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stretching the imagination further, you could consider breaking the glass of the aquarium and using some of the glass to cut the teak cheese board with. But maybe that's stretching it a bit too far?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, has the calendar got any wire rods in it's structure?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I just stumbled on something rather amazing - you can actually make knitting needles from casein (the protein from cows milk)! The needles are called "Swallow Casein Knitting Needles"

milk knitting needles
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If only Daisy would oblige us - especially as the quality of her milk is so good!
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:15 am:

Stretching the imagination further, you could consider breaking the glass of the aquarium and using some of the glass to cut the teak cheese board with. But maybe that's stretching it a bit too far? I'm not sure what I would do with all the fish if I were to break the aquarium. Besides, I'm fairly sure that the cheeseboard is too sturdy a thing to yield to anything short of a chainsaw.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:16 am:

Ahh, has the calendar got any wire rods in it's structure? it has not. But I wll repeat the description of the calendar for you:

The calendar shows the month of January, with the 29th in red and the other numbers in black. The year, rather curiously, is shown as 4702. It appears to be an advertising calendar, but I cannot recognise the writing underneath the dates. There is, however, a string of ten Arabic digits at the bottom of the calendar - 1874525967.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:25 am:

I just stumbled on something rather amazing - you can actually make knitting needles from casein (the protein from cows milk)! The needles are called "Swallow Casein Knitting Needles"

milk knitting needles Astounding :) Unfortunately, in order to make the casein strudy enough for use as a knitting needle, it needs to be combined with a solution of formaldehyde. I do not know where one might obtain such a thing in the present circumstances.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:26 am:

If only Daisy would oblige us - especially as the quality of her milk is so good! Indeed. But she may yet prove useful, though perhaps not in this room :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Interesting word, "strudy". "Having the consistency of an over-baked strudel", perhaps.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm a bit stumped by this calendar business. Do you think we are entering into the realms of mathematics?

As you know I'm no mathematician. Do you think that these numbers are some sort of code?
Is it a calendar for the distant future?
I wonder what the significance on Jan 29th is?

Perhaps you could try dialing the numbers on the telephone?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the calendar digits relate to the pack of cards at all?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:42 am:

I'm a bit stumped by this calendar business. Do you think we are entering into the realms of mathematics? could be, but let us try your other suggestion

As you know I'm no mathematician. Do you think that these numbers are some sort of code? well, they might be, but...
Is it a calendar for the distant future? no
I wonder what the significance on Jan 29th is? it is the Gregorian date in AD 2006 on which the Chinese year 4702 - the Year of the Rooster - will begin.

Perhaps you could try dialing the numbers on the telephone? an excellent notion :) Having plugged the cord back in to the telephone and the wall socket, I dial the number, and for the first time, I hear a ringing tone.

The telephone is answered. "Mandarin Star Chinese takeway - may I have your order please?"
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:43 am:

Could the calendar digits relate to the pack of cards at all? They could have done. But it appears that they did not :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:52 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wonderful!! :)

Well please feel free to order whatever you fancy - I fancy a King Prawn Chowmein - but whatever it is, make sure that you ask for a pair of chopsticks!

:)

I feel those purple gloves are almost within your grasp!
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

chopsticks

Just the job!
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:52 am:

Well please feel free to order whatever you fancy - I fancy a King Prawn Chowmein I think perhaps I will order some Special Fried Grass for Daisy and some Sweet and Sour Sage Derby for Diego. It seems to me that they have earned it. - but whatever it is, make sure that you ask for a pair of chopsticks! I have made sure that these are included. "Usual delivery address?" asks the man at the Mandarin Star. "Yes please", I say, somewhat relieved that he appears to know this.

The doorkeeper and I settle down to a game of cribbage. Daisy the pure-bred Guernsey cow studies the tropical fish as they swim to and fro. Diego the Argentine Merino sheep sticks his head in the sack, no doubt looking for the last remnants of the cheese. Time passes...

The first doorkeeper re-enters the room with a carton of grass for Daisy, a carton of Sage Derby for Diego, and a pair of chopsticks, which he hands to me without a word. The second doorkeeper takes advantage of my distraction to amend the cribbage score in his favour, but I take no notice. Bridge is a game played by a genius partnered by an idiot against two cheats, so I am quite used to this sort of thing. Besides, I have work to do.

From the murex shells, I extract a purple dye (I always knew that the Boy Scout Oriental Rug-making Badge I obtained in my far-away youth would come in handy one of these days). I spin the wool into yarn, and immerse it in the dye. I swiftly knit two purple gloves - too swiftly, in fact, for I make them both left-handed.

But the doorkeeper does not seem to mind. Clapping me on the shoulder, he opens the second door and ushers me through into...
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Thank you for caring for Daisy and Diego with such consideration.
So you took the Oriental Rug Making Badge too!

Where have you entered into now?
I imagine there must be some interesting objects about?

Is there another doorkeeper barring your progress?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:13 am:

Where have you entered into now? to what I am sure will be nobdoy's particular surprise, I am in another room
I imagine there must be some interesting objects about? One or two. In particular:

A sheepdog
A photograph
Another CD
A suit of armour
A computer keyboard

Is there another doorkeeper barring your progress? There is indeed.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:45 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I Have a sneaking suspicion that the doorkeeper might be interested in the marble bust of Henri I - what do you reckon?

Are there any other Henri's or Henry's among the Playing Card characters?

I hope it won't be too taxing if I ask you to make an initial inspection of the new objects to see what can be observed?

A sheepdog
What do you notice?

A photograph
How old would you say?
What is the composition?
Anything written on the front or reverse side?

Another CD
Anything written on it?
Any packaging?
Please could you try it in the Stereo unit?

A suit of armour
Is there anybody inside the armour?
Is there any inscriptions?
What metal is the armour made from?
Is it European? Oriental?

A computer keyboard
Is it a regular keyboard?
Anything worth noting about it?