Archive through December 27, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 27, 2005 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:45 am:

I Have a sneaking suspicion that the doorkeeper might be interested in the marble bust of Henri I - what do you reckon? I show it to him. He looks at it without showing all that much interest.

Are there any other Henri's or Henry's among the Playing Card characters? no

I hope it won't be too taxing if I ask you to make an initial inspection of the new objects to see what can be observed? of course not :)

A sheepdog
What do you notice? I don't know a whole lot about sheepdogs. This one seems to be a black and white specimen with a leg at each corner and a generally dog-like anatomy. He (I do know that much) does not appear to alarm Diego, which is a good thing.

A photograph
How old would you say? I'd say it was exactly two years old. This is not because I am an expert in dating photographs, but because it is headed "Arsenal 2003" and is a picture of the soccer team of that name, presumably taken at that time.
What is the composition? colour photograph, about six inches by four, standard sort of thing
Anything written on the front or reverse side? the names of the players appear beneath their pictures. There is nothing on the reverse side.

Another CD
Anything written on it? no
Any packaging? no
Please could you try it in the Stereo unit? I have done so. A curious bubbling noise is all that emerges. Most odd.

A suit of armour
Is there anybody inside the armour? no
Is there any inscriptions? no
What metal is the armour made from? steel, by the look of things
Is it European? yes Oriental? no

A computer keyboard
Is it a regular keyboard? yes
Anything worth noting about it? the letters and numbers are as I would expect
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The Arsenal sqaud for 2003 won the Premiership - and possibly the FA Cup - my memory is not so good. However I do know that Thierry Henry played in that team and therefore he must be in the picture!

I can't help but think that we are looking for three French Henris or Henrys. Surely we have two, with Henri 1st and Thierry Henry? What do you think? Am I barking up the wrong tree? Talking of which, the dog's name isn't Henry is it?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 2:22 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 02:17 am:

The Arsenal sqaud for 2003 won the Premiership - and possibly the FA Cup - my memory is not so good. However I do know that Thierry Henry played in that team and therefore he must be in the picture! indeed he is. Standing in the front row looking rather pleased with himself.

I can't help but think that we are looking for three French Henris or Henrys. Surely we have two, with Henri 1st and Thierry Henry? it would seem so What do you think? I think that the best we can do is find what we think we're looking for, and see what the doorkeeper does when we offer it to him. Am I barking up the wrong tree? I don't know. We will have to see :) Talking of which, the dog's name isn't Henry is it? He does not respond to that name, whether I use an English or a French accent.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 2:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder about the latest CD - is it damaged?
Any pictures or imagary on it at all?
Is the sound regular , like a pattern to it?
Under water recording by Jacques Cousteau (could his middle name be Henri?)
Could the player be damaged?
Could there be an incompatability issue?
Please could you clean it and retry?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

What do each of the animals make of the noise from the CD? (a long shot)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could the armour be French, do you think?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 02:36 am:

I wonder about the latest CD - is it damaged? it does not appear scratched
Any pictures or imagary on it at all? no
Is the sound regular , like a pattern to it? not really - it's quite soothing, but it's a fairly irregular set of bubbling noises
Under water recording by Jacques Cousteau it doesn't sound quite like that (could his middle name be Henri?) it could have been, but his parents decided on Yves
Could the player be damaged? I suppose it could be - it's hard to tell
Could there be an incompatability issue? I don't think so
Please could you clean it and retry? I have done so. Still the same bubbling noises.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 02:37 am:

What do each of the animals make of the noise from the CD? (a long shot) none of them seems especially excited or perturbed

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 02:39 am:

Could the armour be French, do you think? I am no expert, but I'd say it was certainly possible
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had hoped at one point that three of the tens in the pack of cards would suffice at this point; I guess not. :(
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any weapons with the armour such as a sword or mace or maybe a shield? Any chain mail? Are there any useful detachable parts?

Do you think that the CD could be used for some form of relaxation or hypnotism?
Or could the bubbling be some form of code?

Could you try tapping all of the keys on the keyboard - anything interesting?
Does the keyboard have a connecting lead?
Is there anything to connect it to?
Try shaking it around - anything fall out?

Does the doorman give any reaction when you show him Thierry and the bust of the King?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 03:50 am:

I had hoped at one point that three of the tens in the pack of cards would suffice at this point; I guess not. Very clever thinking :) I show the doorman three French tens. He smiles kindly. "Close", he says. "But no cigar."

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 12:42 pm:

Are there any weapons with the armour such as a sword or mace or maybe a shield? no - just a suit of armour Any chain mail? no Are there any useful detachable parts? well, you can detach most of the parts, otherwise it would be a little difficult to get into the thing. But I can't think of any use to which any of the individual parts can be put at present.

Do you think that the CD could be used for some form of relaxation or hypnotism? it's a soothing enough sound. I imagine it might help you to sleep, if sleeping was what you wanted to do. But I don't think it would be enough actually to hypnotise anyone.
Or could the bubbling be some form of code? I dont think so. It's just a series of splashes, gurgles and general glop-like sounds.

Could you try tapping all of the keys on the keyboard - anything interesting? the keyboard isn't connected to anything at present, so apart from performing some of the more recondite works of John Cage, it doesn't appear to be a whole lot of use.
Does the keyboard have a connecting lead? it does
Is there anything to connect it to? not that I can think of
Try shaking it around - anything fall out? no

Does the doorman give any reaction when you show him Thierry and the bust of the King? he seems to be a little more interested than before. But I don't think it's quite enough.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I wonder if the CD sounds resemble the internal sounds from the womb - not that I expect you to remember - but could it be?

I sense that the puzzle-maker has made the missing Henry - if that's what it we're looking for - hard to get! I wonder if it could be a pun on top of pun, if you know what I mean?

Please could you check the pack of cards again and see if there are any characters called Henry or Henrietta?

Pallas (Athena) has "hen" within "Athena", do you think that is any use to us?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Please could you check all current items to see if there is anything inscribed that resembles anything like Hen, Henri or Henry?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 1:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A long shot - could we remove the relecvant keys from the keyboard to spell a desired word such as Henry? Do you think that would aid our cause?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:41 pm:

I wonder if the CD sounds resemble the internal sounds from the womb - not that I expect you to remember - but could it be? I guess it could be, but they sound to me more like sounds made by some external natural phenomenon

I sense that the puzzle-maker has made the missing Henry - if that's what it we're looking for - hard to get! I wonder if it could be a pun on top of pun, if you know what I mean? all things are possible :)

Please could you check the pack of cards again and see if there are any characters called Henry or Henrietta? I'm afraid that the names I gave earlier - the standard names for the court cards in a French deck of cards - are the only names I can see. No Henrys or Henriettas anywhere.

Pallas (Athena) has "hen" within "Athena", do you think that is any use to us? an interesting idea, but I doubt it very much.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:45 pm:

Please could you check all current items to see if there is anything inscribed that resembles anything like Hen, Henri or Henry? I have done so. I can find nothing written resembling those names, I am afraid.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, December 25, 2005 - 01:47 pm:

A long shot - could we remove the relecvant keys from the keyboard to spell a desired word such as Henry? I have taken out the H, E, N, R and I keys to see if the doorkeeper evinces any interest. Do you think that would aid our cause? This doorkeeper seems a friendlier sort than the others. He looks at my offering and shakes his head slowly. "This won't do, I fear", he says. "But you're an ingenious fellow. I am sure you'll get there in the end."
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Sorry, do you think you could list the items that are available? You can skip the descriptions.

But perhaps you could tell again what French cheeses you've got.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I know you have just inspected all the items but please could you double check the cheese wrappings, to see if there are any pictures or inscriptions worthy of note?

Please could you play the latest CD to our (more friendly) doorkeeper to see what he makes of it?
(I vaguely wondered if there were any noises that might resemble the phoentical sounds for Henri.)

I wonder if we could trick the doorkeeper to beleiving that he is seeing more items than we actually have? Do you think this is worth pursuing?

Could the sound from the CD be any of, or does it resemble anything like:
A swamp?
Hot springs / geysers?
A Volcano?
Something simmering on the hob?

Do we have a name for the sheepdog?
Please could you show all of the items that we have, to the sheep dog. Please report any significant reactions.
I wonder what the breed is?
Do the doorkeepers know what breed he is?
Try talking to the dog?
Try stroking him...
Try offering the cheeses...
Any significant responses?

We have 3 animals, that (according to tradition) make the sounds moo, baa, and woof.
I wonder if the dog makes any other sounds in addition to woof?

I wonder if the we could get any combination of sounds from the animals to sound like a French Henri in any fashion?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are any of the previous two doorkeepers French or called Henry?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 08:05 am:

Sorry, do you think you could list the items that are available? You can skip the descriptions. In the first room, there were:

A beehive
A shotgun (now dismantled)
A marble bust of the head and shoulders of King Henri I of France
A cheeseboard with a wide variety of cheeses, among them Camembert, Brie, Port Salut, and Pont l'Eveque. The Brie, however, is firmly in the keeping of the first doorkeeper.
A cheese knife
A Bang and Olufsen stereo system, which appears to be battery powered
A pure-bred Guernsey cow named Daisy.

In the second room, there were:

A pack of French playing cards
An Argentine Merino sheep named Diego
A compact disk (the Windows XP Professional installation disk)
An aquarium
A telephone
A calendar on the wall, promoting the Mandarin Star Chinese takeaway.

In the third room, there are:

A sheepdog, as yet unnamed
A photograph of the 2003 Arsenal football team
Another CD which, when inserted into the stereo system, seems to be a recording of splashes, bubblings and general gurgling noises
A suit of armour, now dismantled
A computer keyboard.

You also possess a large sack.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

David please see 9.16 and 9.19
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:04 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 09:16 am:

I know you have just inspected all the items but please could you double check the cheese wrappings, to see if there are any pictures or inscriptions worthy of note? The wrappings are simple ones - mostly plain paper, but the occasional box. None of the inscriptions seems to carry any reference to, or bear any relevance to, anyone called Henry.

Please could you play the latest CD to our (more friendly) doorkeeper to see what he makes of it? He listens with a faint air of amusement. "Not my kind of thing", he says eventually. "I'm more of a Beethoven fan myself." In the distance, you can faintly hear the sound of a huge audience applauding.
(I vaguely wondered if there were any noises that might resemble the phonetic sounds for Henri.) not by any stretch of the imagination, I am afraid.

I wonder if we could trick the doorkeeper to believing that he is seeing more items than we actually have? I'm not sure how one would go about doing that, but it's an interesting notion. Do you think this is worth pursuing?

Could the sound from the CD be any of, or does it resemble anything like:
A swamp? perhaps, but...
Hot springs / geysers? ...they sound rather more like this kind of thing, and not...
A Volcano? ...nothing as violent as this, I don't think
Something simmering on the hob? I don't think so - too much noise for that

Do we have a name for the sheepdog? not as yet. I am open to suggestions.
Please could you show all of the items that we have, to the sheep dog. Please report any significant reactions. the sheepdog seems interested only in Diego the Argentine Marino sheep, whom he appears vaguely to recognise. But the pair treat each other with mutual respect.
I wonder what the breed is? I don't know a lot about dogs, I'm afraid. But if you have any suggestions, I will give them as much thought as I can.
Do the doorkeepers know what breed he is? it does not appear so - if they do, they are not teliing me
Try talking to the dog? He listens attentivley enough, but unless I want to ask him to round up Diego, there doesn't seem a lot I can actually ask him to do.
Try stroking him... he seems as pleased about this as any dog would be
Try offering the cheeses... this does provoke an adverse reaction. He treats all of them with the utmost disdain. As I offer him the Sage Derby, Diego lets out a pitiful bleat, but seems to relax when the dog shows no sign of eating Diego's favourite cheese.
Any significant responses? He doesn't seem all that keen on the cheese knife either, but apart from that, he examines everything with polite interest, no more.

We have 3 animals, that (according to tradition) make the sounds moo, baa, and woof. well, I can attest to the fact that Daisy moos and Diego baas. I have not yet heard our sheepdog make a sound.
I wonder if the dog makes any other sounds in addition to woof? He has not uttered anything yet that I have heard.

I wonder if the we could get any combination of sounds from the animals to sound like a French Henri in any fashion? The material seems unpromising, I would say. If somehow the sheepdog could be persuaded to say "ack", we could perhaps produce "moo-baa-ack", but the names of the President of Egypt are Mohammad Hosni Said..

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Monday, December 26, 2005 - 09:19 am:

Are any of the previous two doorkeepers French or called Henry? the first is German and tells me that his name is Ernst, which is no doubt an important thing to be. The second is Polish and helpfully writes his name down for me. I have no idea how to pronounce it, but it would score at least 273 at Scrabble.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 3:21 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Could you name the sheepdog Henri?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Tuesday, December 27, 2005 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the sheepdog is French, that could solve our problem!
If he's not French, we could always call him "French Henri"!

Please could you remove the battery from the Stereo Unit and inspect it?