Archive through December 29, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 29, 2005 « Previous Next »

Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is the dwarf a poet?
Is his name Bob? Bill?
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Actually, what I had in mind were "four bowls of curd", vaguely resembling the four colly birds of the song. But now I'll have to come up with a new idea.

For the meanwhile, ask the dwarf to make a golden thread from the straw (he ought to know how to do that). You will need it in the next room to make five golden rings.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see, his name is Rumplestiltskin!
Ostap is on a roll!
(Keep it up - back later)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:13 pm:

Well that's a relief!
Yes, of course, please divest yourself of that suit of armour, it must be getting pretty uncomfortable. I expect it would be easier to wear if I were a Knight of the Round Table, rather than a round person who has spent too many nights at the table in the pub.

As for what we need to placate the doorkeeper, I'm still guessing. I had wondered if it could have been falling bards but there doesn't seem to be a bard insight, apart from your good self, that is.

My poems lack weight, and taste, and suavity,
But I'm not exempt from the law of gravity.
The ceiling is high, and the floor is hard -
I'd rather not be a falling bard.

Do you think it's "falling" anything, or aren't you allowed to say? ;-) You have all been good sports, so the occasional clue is no more than you deserve :) Not only is it not falling anything, it is not even four of anything...
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

sounds as if you're going to use the fork once more...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:16 pm:

Is the dwarf a poet? If he is, there has been no sign of it so far. He has spoken entirely in prose.
Is his name Bob? Bill? It is neither of those.

By Ostap Bender (Ostap) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:20 pm:

Actually, what I had in mind were "four bowls of curd", vaguely resembling the four colly birds of the song. But now I'll have to come up with a new idea. Indeed :) Some versions of the song refer to "colly birds", some to "calling birds". Pedants have claimed that the former is more authentic, but there is no actual justification for this.

For the meanwhile, ask the dwarf to make a golden thread from the straw (he ought to know how to do that). No sooner have the words left my lips than the dwarf springs into action. He scampers up the ladder as fast as his little legs will carry him. Then he remembers the spinning wheel, scampers back down again, picks it up and heads hayloftwards once more. Soon the whirring of the wheel mingles with a happy Dwarvish song (this is a contemporary folk song, so he does not need to be a poet). You will need it in the next room to make five golden rings. Once again, I admire your inegnuity. And your optimism.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ostap Bender (Ostap) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:35 pm:

sounds as if you're going to use the fork once more... One never knows...
Ostap Bender (Ostap)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Go up to the hayloft and have a look what the dwarf is doing. Don't forget the fork.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Ostap Bender (Ostap) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 07:45 pm:

Go up to the hayloft and have a look what the dwarf is doing. Don't forget the fork. The dwarf is spinning straw into gold. The fork leans against the side of the hayloft, where I left it after pitching straw down for Daisy to eat.
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

...at least I now not only know which song you mean, but also partly know the song... :)

There's no New Testament lying around? :) Maybe that's printed on the back of the menu from the Chinese restaurant, when that arrives...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 08:13 pm:

...at least I now not only know which song you mean, but also partly know the song... Well, there is no reason why the song itself should remain a secret :)

There are several variations on "The Twelve Days of Christmas"; the last verse of the one being used for this puzzle is:

On the twelfth day of Christmas
My true love sent to me
Twelve drummers drumming,
Eleven pipers piping,
Ten lords a-leaping,
Nine ladies dancing,
Eight maids a-milking,
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree!

For the benefit of anyone who has recently joined and (quite understandably) not been inclined to read all the archives, none of the actual items mentioned in the song has appeared. Instead, in order to progress from the first room I have had to give the doorkeeper a cartridge in a square Brie. To make it through the second I needed two purple gloves, for the third I needed three French Henris. Now I am in the fourth...

There's no New Testament lying around? There is not. Maybe that's printed on the back of the menu from the Chinese restaurant, when that arrives... It would need to be a large menu. Or rather small print.
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 8:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

So, we should sort of get/make something with a similar Soundex index as "Four calling birds"...

I think I remember you saying (writing) that we definitely don't need any turds. I'm not sure if the same held for curds, or if it was a special case with curds. Could you arrange for (with the help of a Time Machine, of course) a "Fork holding curds"?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 08:46 pm:

So, we should sort of get/make something with a similar Soundex index as "Four calling birds"... exactly so

I think I remember you saying (writing) that we definitely don't need any turds. Indeed I'm not sure if the same held for curds, or if it was a special case with curds. Could you arrange for (with the help of a Time Machine, of course) a "Fork holding curds"? I don't have a time machine, but even if I did, this isn't going to work. Nice try, though :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or it could be "Fork Hurling Bails" (of straw)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:22 pm:

Or it could be "Fork Hurling Bails" (of straw) Unless we can stop Rumpelstiltskin spinning soon, there won't be any straw left. So I might as well tell you that this isn't the answer.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, please could you tell Rumplestiltskin that we have enough gold. (What an odd thing to say).

Can you ask Rumpelstiltskin if he has any bright ideas?

Could you show the doorkeeper the pitchfork to see if his face gives away any clue as to whether the fork is involved in the setup ;-)?

Is Daisey ready for milking yet?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Wednesday, December 28, 2005 - 10:30 pm:

Okay, please could you tell Rumplestiltskin that we have enough gold. (What an odd thing to say). I have done so. We do indeed seem to have an awful lot of gold thread. Maybe it will come in useful.

Can you ask Rumpelstiltskin if he has any bright ideas? "I'm afraid I can't think of anything very much at the moment. But may I say how much fun it is being a polite and helpful dwarf rather than a surly and vicious one. I beg you - don't let go of that axe for a moment, or I'll have to grab it and throw it at you again, and we'll be be right back where we started."

Could you show the doorkeeper the pitchfork to see if his face gives away any clue as to whether the fork is involved in the setup ;-)? The doorkeeper takes the pitchfork and examines it carefully. Then he hands it back. "Not entirely", he says, and will say no more.

Is Daisey ready for milking yet? I have the impression that milking Daisy is not a task I am meant to perform, or at least not yet. But at any rate, she seems quite happy to munch on.
Kapil Kapur (Dinkie)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

four gospels ? (of the New Testament}
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are you certain that none of the cheeses resembles cottage cheese?
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Are there any pictures of Microsoft employees on the Windows CD? If so, pick up the bucket with the fork and you will have a fork hauling nerds.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If it's not the above it could be A Fork Hurling / Hauling Curds?

I suppose cheeses could be synonomous with curds. Maybe we don't need to curdle Daisy's milk - or do we? - maybe we could impale some of the cheeses onto the pitchfork and call it Fork Hauling Curds?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Struggling here for alternatives...
keys removed from the keyboard could be arranged on the fork to make words - "Fork Hauling Words"?