Archive through December 31, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 31, 2005 « Previous Next »

John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I guess if you impaled the cheeses, you might have a fork mauling curds.
Heather Warde (Heatherw)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Try offering the doorman the pitchfork with the boots on it for "fork hauling boots".
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we plaited some straw or even some golden yarn then we could have a "Fork Curling Braids" or a "Fork Hauling Braids"
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 7:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If we brandished the axe and attacked RS, we would be "dwarf mauling nerds". Does the door keeper need any of those?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Kapil Kapur (Dinkie) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 04:21 pm:

four gospels ? (of the New Testament} No - none of this puzzle is based on the alleged (and highly dubious) allegorical nature of "The Twelve Days of Christmas".

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 04:30 pm:

Are you certain that none of the cheeses resembles cottage cheese? I am. But good thinking :)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 05:12 pm:

Are there any pictures of Microsoft employees on the Windows CD? sadly, no If so, pick up the bucket with the fork and you will have a fork hauling nerds. I would indeed :)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 05:54 pm:

If it's not the above it could be A Fork Hurling / Hauling Curds? It could. It just isn't, is all :)

I suppose cheeses could be synonomous with curds. Maybe we don't need to curdle Daisy's milk - or do we? - maybe we could impale some of the cheeses onto the pitchfork and call it Fork Hauling Curds? We could. But "curds" is not the word you seek...

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 05:59 pm:

Struggling here for alternatives...
keys removed from the keyboard could be arranged on the fork to make words - "Fork Hauling Words"? ...and neither is "hauling"

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:04 pm:

Well, I guess if you impaled the cheeses, you might have a fork mauling curds. I might, but poor Diego would be terribly upset if I stuck a fork through his Sage Derby.

By Heather Warde (Heatherw) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 06:30 pm:

Try offering the doorman the pitchfork with the boots on it for "fork hauling boots". He smiles and shakes his head, but not unkindly.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 07:05 pm:

If we plaited some straw or even some golden yarn then we could have a "Fork Curling Braids" or a "Fork Hauling Braids" I wish I had thought of some of these :)

By Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu) on Thursday, December 29, 2005 - 07:37 pm:

If we brandished the axe and attacked RS, we would be "dwarf mauling nerds" especially this one :) . Does the door keeper need any of those? He does not. But you are all close enough that I will all but spill the stews. Recall that the doorkeeper said "Not entirely" when we showed him the pitchfork. And recall that we have an axe...
John Morahan (Wunderland)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 12:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If the fork's handle is made of wood, you can chop it into three pieces to make a fork mauled in thirds, but please ask the doorkeeper if he wants this before trying it, as otherwise you won't want to ruin a perfectly good fork.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A Fork Holding Words?

Fork, Straw and Words? (Fork, Straw 'n Words)?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Ahh, I just noticed the help about the axe ...
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or even just fork all in thirds?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 9:19 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or less likely:
Fork sawn in thirds / Fork drawn in thirds
Fork and chips / Fork 'n chops
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By John Morahan (Wunderland) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 12:02 am:

If the fork's handle is made of wood, you can chop it into three pieces to make a fork mauled in thirds, but please ask the doorkeeper if he wants this before trying it, as otherwise you won't want to ruin a perfectly good fork. The doorkeeper nods in approval as I take the axe to the pitchfork

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:34 am:

A Fork Holding Words? Not qute sure what one of those would look like. But help is at hand...

Fork, Straw and Words? (Fork, Straw 'n Words)? Not those. But not to worry

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 01:46 am:

Ahh, I just noticed the help about the axe ... Better late than never :)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 05:49 am:

Or even just fork all in thirds? I take the trisected fok to the doorkeepr, whc congratulates me warmly :)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 09:19 am:

Or less likely:
Fork sawn in thirds / Fork drawn in thirds
Fork and chips / Fork 'n chops No - a fork all in thirds was exactly what was required. I am now in the fifth room as a result, which contains... nothing at all.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

But I assume that there is a doorkeeper?
I wonder if he would simply accept 5 golden rings?
If so , we could use either the golden thread and/or the piece that we took from the calendar. What do you think?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 08:21 pm:

But I assume that there is a doorkeeper? But of course :)
I wonder if he would simply accept 5 golden rings? Well, if we had some, we could try.
If so , we could use either the golden thread and/or the piece that we took from the calendar. What do you think? May be worth an effort. One never knows.
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

COuld we take five pieces of the gold thread and offer the door keeper five golden strings?

If he doesn't want that, could I possibly have an inventory check?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:18 pm:

Could we take five pieces of the gold thread and offer the door keeper five golden strings? I will try... but alas, he merely shakes his head.

If he doesn't want that, could I possibly have an inventory check? Certainly :)

The first room contained:

A beehive, complete with bees.
A shotgun, now dismantled. It held a single cartridge, which has been stuck in the Brie and given to the first doorkeeper.
A marble bust of the head and shoulders of King Henri I of France, now in the possession of the third doorkeeper.
A cheeseboard with a wide variety of cheeses, among them Camembert, Brie, Port Salut, and Pont l'Eveque. The Brie, however, is firmly in the hands of the first doorkeeper, and some of the Camembert has been used to repair the bucket. Diego the sheep has eaten most of the Sage Derby.
A cheese knife.
A Bang and Olufsen stereo system, which appears to be battery powered.
A pure-bred Guernsey cow named Daisy.

In the second room, there were:

A pack of French playing cards.
An Argentine Merino sheep named Diego.
A compact disk (the Windows XP Professional installation disk, now plugging the hole in a bucket.)
An aquarium.
A telephone.
A calendar on the wall, promoting the Mandarin Star Chinese takeaway.

In the third room, there were:

A French Pyrenean sheepdog, now in the possession of the third doorkeeper.
A photograph of the 2003 Arsenal football team, now in the possession of the third doorkeeper.
Another CD which, when inserted into the stereo system, seems to be a recording of splashes, bubblings and general gurgling noises
A suit of armour.
A computer keyboard.

In the fourth room, there were:

An old rusty bucket, now repaired with the Windows XP disk and some Camembert cheese.
A spinning wheel.
A three-legged stool.
A pair of Wellington boots.
A ladder.
Straw, some of which has been fed to Daisy the cow, some spun into gold thread by Rumpelstiltskin, and some remains.
A pitchfork, now cut into thirds and given to the fourth doorkeeper.

You also possess a dwarvish axe and a large sack.
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

wow!

This might be a stretch...but I would be remiss if I did not ask...does the doorkeeper want a "hive full of stings".
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu) on Friday, December 30, 2005 - 11:38 pm:

This might be a stretch...but I would be remiss if I did not ask...does the doorkeeper want a "hive full of stings". He doesn't, as it happens, but he wishes you to know that this was a pretty good piece of thinking :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Flippin' Nora - you still in there? :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:03 am:

Flippin' Nora - you still in there? I'm afraid so. It's a long way to Epiphany :)
Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Is any of the cheese mouldy?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

A rusty bucket and some remaining straw - hmm - have a word with dear Liza.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Uh oh, a cursory glance at the endless archives tells me that dear Liza has already been summoned. Please ignore the ramblings of a