Archive through December 31, 2005 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through December 31, 2005 « Previous Next »

Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I'm now trying to catch up and I'm only up to 6th archive - I can see where it's heading now, but it could be a long night.... :)
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Fie! Olden spins?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Sara DeNunzio (Tehanu) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:13 am:

Is any of the cheese mouldy? Well, technically all cheese is moudly. But none of it is especially moudly.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:13 am:

A rusty bucket and some remaining straw - hmm - have a word with dear Liza. We did. She proved singularly unhelpful :)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:13 am:

Fie! Olden spins? No, but well caught up :)
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

try giving the doorkeeper the CD with the watery noises - perhaps they are recordings of five old springs:)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:12 am:

try giving the doorkeeper the CD with the watery noises - perhaps they are recordings of five old springs I do this. For a moment, he seems inclined to accept it - then he shrugs his shoulders and hands it back to me.
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

do you get the impression that it was along the right lines to give him the CD?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you call yourself on the telephone and let it ring five times, would that constitute five cold rings? No? I didn't think so.
Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

should we play the CD to him?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or perhaps he wants the CD along with the beehive and the product of Rumplestiltskin's spinning, so that he will have a hive, gold, and springs?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I like the Hive, Gold & Springs.
If the CD doesn't completely fit the bill for "Springs" then maybe a spring could be found elsewhere?
What about the coiled spring that we took from the calendar?

Could you try the Hive, Gold, CD and piece of coiled metal from the calendar?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:51 pm:

do you get the impression that it was along the right lines to give him the CD? Not really, but it is possible that the CD will feature in this adventure somewhere.

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:52 pm:

If you call yourself on the telephone and let it ring five times, would that constitute five cold rings? The trouble is that the only telephone number I know is that of the Mandarin Star Chinese Restaurant (who, now you mention it, don't seem to have delivered the menu yet). No? I didn't think so. Well, keep the thought in mind. Nothing, however preposterous, should be dismissed (except perhaps the notion that celery is edible).

By Hannah Kinghern (Kdoc) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:52 pm:

should we play the CD to him? I will try... He listens attentively enough, but does not seem particularly moved to open the door, or do anything else

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 12:55 pm:

Or perhaps he wants the CD along with the beehive and the product of Rumplestiltskin's spinning, so that he will have a hive, gold, and springs? Let us give this a try.

I don the suit of armour and return to the first room to collect the beehive. The bees buzz furiously about me as I carry their home to the fifth room, but the armour proves impervious to even their fiercest stings.

I place the hive at the doorkeeper's feet. The bees, for some strange reason, do not attack the doorkeeper - instead, they file meekly back into the hive. I present the doorkeeper wih some gold thread. I turn on the stereo system, and spring-like sounds fill the air.

The doorkeeper looks at me in amazement. Finally, he speaks.

"You idiot", he says.

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:22 pm:

I like the Hive, Gold & Springs. I liked it too, but unfortunately what I like doesn't seem to matter very much :)
If the CD doesn't completely fit the bill for "Springs" then maybe a spring could be found elsewhere? Quite possibly
What about the coiled spring that we took from the calendar? That was indeed golden in appearance - well remembered.

Could you try the Hive, Gold, CD and piece of coiled metal from the calendar? The doorkeeper looks at the proffered spring from the calendar. Then he looks at the ceiling, and begins whistling "Until the Twelfth of Never" in a rather irritating fashion.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about offering the above but without the CD i.e. the Hive, the Gold and the Spring from the calendar (maybe cut in two with the knife for the sake of pluralism)?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or how about severing the spring from the calendar into five sections and offering these as a job lot - literally five golden rings?
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I had hoped that you could simply cut rings from the calendar's coiled spring. But I suppose that is too simple.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:22 pm:

How about offering the above but without the CD i.e. the Hive, the Gold and the Spring from the calendar (maybe cut in two with the knife for the sake of pluralism)? I cut the spring from the calendar in two. Then I cut it into five - what the heck, if we're going in for this pluralism business, let's not stint. I offer these to the doorkeeper, together with the CD and the beehive.

He stops whistling "Until the Twelfth of Never", which I regard as a promising sign, until he starts whistling "When I'm Sixty Four".

The first doorkeeper enters the room, looks at the beehive, the bits of spring and the CD, looks at the fifth doorkeeper, raises his eyes to Heaven, hands me a Chinese restaurant menu, and leaves as silently as he came.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 8:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:23 pm:

Or how about severing the spring from the calendar into five sections and offering these as a job lot - literally five golden rings? I thought I would try that when I adopted your last suggestion. Sadly, however...

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 08:24 pm:

I had hoped that you could simply cut rings from the calendar's coiled spring. But I suppose that is too simple. Simple ideas are not always wrong ideas, although it is true that in this puzzle so far, they have not had a particularly high success rate.
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do any of the cheeses have live mould on them?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:00 pm:

Do any of the cheeses have live mould on them? No - the cheeses are of the finest quality, although that of the Brie may have been impaired by having a cartridge stuck in it, and that of the Sage Derby by being eaten by Diego
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I was not suggesting any defects in your cheese; I was thinking of mould that is supposed to be there.

You could take a five from the pack of playing cards, roll it into a cylinder, and insert it into the hole in the CD...then you would have five rolled in springs...?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Does the CD feature Wagner by any chance? Rhinegold Ring?
Could you at least see if the doorkeeper reacts favourably?
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, Woubit has clearly stated that the cheese isn't mouldy, but moudly. Maybe even moody...

Maybe we should try to get all the doorkeepers together and show them our wacky ideas - then we could get "Five Men Who Sings"...?
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay, I think we need to stir those bees up.

David, don the suit of armor, pick up some of the golden yarn, grab the beehive, chuck the gold in the beehive, shake the beehive about vigoursly and quickly plonk it into the arms of the door keeper, saying "there you are, Hive, Gold and Stings!"