Archive through January 01, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through January 01, 2006 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 9:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:24 pm:

I was not suggesting any defects in your cheese; I was thinking of mould that is supposed to be there. Well, mould is used in the making of Camembert and Brie. We haven't got any Brie...

You could take a five from the pack of playing cards, roll it into a cylinder, and insert it into the hole in the CD...then you would have five rolled in springs...? I will give it a try.

The doorkeeper takes from me the CD with the rolled up card in the centre. "If", he says, "the Twelve Days of Christmas contained anything that rhymed with 'exercise wheels for hamsters', this would be just what you need to get out of here. Unfortunately..."

By Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:26 pm:

Does the CD feature Wagner by any chance? Although it is not always easy to distinguish between the music of Wagner and a load of gurgling mud, I am fairy sure that none of the noises on the tape are his work. Rhinegold Ring? Not for the first time, I wish I had thought of some of these :)
Could you at least see if the doorkeeper reacts favourably? The doorkeeper informs me that he is quite happy to listen to the sounds of splashing, bubbling and gurgling. He warns me, however, that should I put anything resembling Wagner on the player, the consequences will be dire indeed.

By Tommy Petersson (Tommyp) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:32 pm:

No, Woubit has clearly stated that the cheese isn't mouldy, but moudly. Maybe even moody... "moudly" is a useful word meaning not only something that is mouldy, but something that isn't quiet about it.

Maybe we should try to get all the doorkeepers together and show them our wacky ideas - then we could get "Five Men Who Sings"...? Maybe we could improvise some pogo sticks out of the legs of the stool and some of the more resilient Gorgonzola cheese. The we could get "Five Men who Bounce Up and Down", but I am not sure that this would be very close to the answer either.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 09:52 pm:

Okay, I think we need to stir those bees up. Mother Brown...

David, don the suit of armor, This is European armour. The Americans had no use for the stuff until the invention of gridiron football, a kind of rugby for sissies. pick up some of the golden yarn, grab the beehive, chuck the gold in the beehive, shake the beehive about vigoursly and quickly plonk it into the arms of the door keeper, saying "there you are, Hive, Gold and Stings!" I have done exactly as you suggest.

The doorkeeper looks at me curiously. "You don't", he enquires finally, "happen to live at Dagenham Heathway, do you?"
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Do the bees have the appearance of dancing around? Are they confident? Dressed in their tawdry finery?

Jive, bold and bling? :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There must be fresh mould on that cheese by now, so we could try Mosquitoe's "Live Mould, and Stings"

Or, does the doorkeeper's reference to Dagenham Heathway, somehow indicate that he does not welcome any stings?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:17 pm:

Do the bees have the appearance of dancing around? The bees don't seem to be doing a whole lot at the moment. I think the presence of the doorkeeper seems to detract from their general bonhomie and exuberance. Are they confident? It's not always easy to tell whether a bee is confident, or whether he's just putting on an act. Dressed in their tawdry finery? I would not know. What passes for haute couture among bees is, I am afraid, a complete mystery to me.

Jive, bold and bling? No. But more bonus marks for originality :)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 10:28 pm:

There must be fresh mould on that cheese by now, so we could try Mosquitoe's "Live Mould, and Stings" We could. But I don't think it will work. As I say, the bees do not seem to want to sting the doorkeeper.

Or, does the doorkeeper's reference to Dagenham Heathway, somehow indicate that he does not welcome any stings? Not exactly.
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Maybe the bees will sting the doorkeeper if you remove the honey from the hive and smear some on the doorkeepers beard!??

:)
Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Stop trying to sting the doorkeeper! He might become even LESS cooperative and not let us through even when we’ve figured it out!
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

There are toilets, a vending machine and a telephone at Dagenham Heathway station and the only entertainment listed is the Dagenham Vue cinema. Not a lot to go on.....
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:18 pm:

Maybe the bees will sting the doorkeeper if you remove the honey from the hive and smear some on the doorkeepers beard!?? When Macbeth was instructed to smear the faces of the grooms with Duncan's blood in order to incriminate them, Lady Macbeth also enjoined him to take those steel gauntlets off first or he would never be able to manage it. The same sort of considerations apply here.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:20 pm:

Stop trying to sting the doorkeeper! He might become even LESS cooperative and not let us through even when weÕve figured it out! I have no intention of trying to sting the doorkeeper. As the wise old country folk say:

He who carries vital keys
Should never be attacked by bees.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:21 pm:

There are toilets, a vending machine and a telephone at Dagenham Heathway station and the only entertainment listed is the Dagenham Vue cinema. Not a lot to go on..... I suspect that the doorkeeper was employing gentle ridicule at one of our attempts to escape. Dagenham Heathway is a station on the London Underground. It is three stops beyond Barking.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

:O that figures
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Be(e)holden grins. :O
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Okay...

Try removing at least two kings from the pack of cards and then give the doorkeeper the hive, gold and kings!

:)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

y Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:34 pm:

Be(e)holden grins. No, but here are five gold rings in recognition of another fine effort :) :) :) :) :)
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Dagenham Heathway tube station is in Zone 5; also, playing it in Mornington Crescent apparently results in a forfeit of the game:
rendering the board unplayable by dint of setting a promiscuous and quite possibly recursive correspondece between stations. This profound mistake is named for an effort to vault a District line breakage at Upney, the player setting up a translational mapping three points to the east. The opponent observed with some bemusement that this was a "barking" thing to do; Dagenham Heathway is, of course, three stops to the east of Barking.

The relevance of any of this, however, escapes me so far...
Simon Downham (Beroean)

Please see 11.39
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

oops...I seem to have made an idiot of myself by posting before refreshing the screen... :(
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

don't worry Mosquito, we all seem to be a bit barking at the moment :)

Oh, and Happy New Year all
Tommy Petersson (Tommyp)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

We don't even have a Golden Retriever that could be barking...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 1:59 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:39 pm:

Try removing at least two kings from the pack of cards and then give the doorkeeper the hive, gold and kings! This contains the makings of a very fine idea indeed...
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:40 pm:

Dagenham Heathway tube station is in Zone 5; also, playing it in Mornington Crescent apparently results in a forfeit of the game:

rendering the board unplayable by dint of setting a promiscuous and quite possibly recursive correspondece between stations. This profound mistake is named for an effort to vault a District line breakage at Upney, the player setting up a translational mapping three points to the east. The opponent observed with some bemusement that this was a "barking" thing to do; Dagenham Heathway is, of course, three stops to the east of Barking.

The relevance of any of this, however, escapes me so far...

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:40 pm:

Please see 11.39

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:41 pm:

oops...I seem to have made an idiot of myself by posting before refreshing the screen... Not to worry :) I continue to make an idiot of myself even after refreshing the screen :)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 11:44 pm:

don't worry Mosquito, we all seem to be a bit barking at the moment

Oh, and Happy New Year all And the same to you, and everyone on the LTPF
Mosquito (Mosquito)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:30 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hive, mould and kings?