Archive through January 01, 2006 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Lateral Puzzles » Solved Lateral Thinking Puzzles » Solved Puzzles - January 2006 » [woubit] Never did run smooth » Archive through January 01, 2006 « Previous Next »

David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:44 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Mosquito (Mosquito) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 03:30 am:

Hive, mould and kings? Well, the kings are a good idea. Forget about the hive and the mould :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 6:58 am:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

How about Knife, Gold and Kings?
Johanna (Buzzard)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

If you remove one of the fives from the pack of playing cards, and two or more of the kings, stack them with the five on top, and roll the lot into a sort of tube shape, you would have a five rolled in kings. Is this of any use?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or you could stack and roll them as above with the five at the bottom and you'd have five holding kings.

Or how about two or more queens instead of the five and you'd have wives holding kings :)
Simon Downham (Beroean)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Or you could remind the (apparently) fussy doorkeeper of the many inventive suggestions that the forum has offered, and emphatically announce "I've Told You Things!"
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 06:58 am:

How about Knife, Gold and Kings? Good idea :) But the doorkeeper shakes his head. "Just kings", he says.

By Johanna (Buzzard) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 12:23 pm:

If you remove one of the fives from the pack of playing cards, and two or more of the kings, stack them with the five on top, and roll the lot into a sort of tube shape, you would have a five rolled in kings. Is this of any use? I suppose that after the hamster had finished on the exercise wheel, he could go diving in the aquarium and use it as a snorkel. Apart from that...

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 01:15 pm:

Or you could stack and roll them as above with the five at the bottom and you'd have five holding kings.

Or how about two or more queens instead of the five and you'd have wives holding kings Indeed :) I could use only the red queens, though - Pallas Athena wasn't anyone's wife, and Argine wasn't anyone at all.
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Simon Downham (Beroean) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 02:55 pm:

Or you could remind the (apparently) fussy doorkeeper of the many inventive suggestions that the forum has offered, and emphatically announce "I've Told You Things!" "It's not the thought that counts", he says. "It's the present."
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

My Olden Kings?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:00 pm:

My Olden Kings? Very close indeed :) All you need now is five of them...
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Promote the Joker and have Five Olden Kings?
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I see that Roquefort is sometimes known as the King of cheese. Could that make up the fifth king?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:06 pm:

Promote the Joker and have Five Olden Kings? I think the Joker might regard this as something of a demotion.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:17 pm:

I see that Roquefort is sometimes known as the King of cheese. Could that make up the fifth king? I suppose it could, at a pinch. But a more obvious candidate for the fifth olden king has already been encountered in this puzzle...
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

You consider yourself old, you spend a lot of time in pubs - so why not just present yourself as the Bar King? :O
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No comment of course on your sanity :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:35 pm:

You consider yourself old there is a good reason for this you spend a lot of time in pubs and an even better reason for this :) - so why not just present yourself as the Bar King? I am not sure that the United Nations is quite ready to regard the Blackbird pub as a sovereign state. Nor is the doorkeeper.

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:39 pm:

No comment of course on your sanity Comment, as this puzzle has amply shown, would be utterly superfluous.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Simon ordered a King Prawn thingy from the Mandarin Star. Do you still have that? Will the doorkeeper accept that?
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 04:58 pm:

Simon ordered a King Prawn thingy from the Mandarin Star. Do you still have that? Will the doorkeeper accept that? the Mandarin Star serves only the freshest produce - it says so on the calendar, albeit in Chinese. By no stretch of the imagination could Simon's dish be described as an olden king.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

it was an awful lot of archives ago, and even the freshest pawn I mean prawn can get old and wrinkly! :)
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:16 pm:

it was an awful lot of archives ago, and even the freshest pawn I mean prawn can get old and wrinkly! Indeed :) But there is a more serious drawback, I fear. A search for the king prawn reveals that the second doorkeeper has eaten it. Only the carton remains, and I don't think the fifth doorkeeper is going to accept that.
Lynne (Lynne)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Well, I've searched through all the archives to no avail (but then, I too am frail and my eyesight's not wot it used to be), so I call on all the non-participating onlookers of this puzzle. Anybody out there consider yourself old? Come on down and be a Lur King. :)

desperate measures called for
David Burn (Woubit)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

By Lynne (Lynne) on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 05:25 pm:

Well, I've searched through all the archives to no avail It may be that you have overlooked something that featured prominently in an earlier part of the puzzle - the third room, to be precise (but then, I too am frail and my eyesight's not wot it used to be), so I call on all the non-participating onlookers of this puzzle. Anybody out there consider yourself old? Come on down and be a Lur King.

desperate measures called for Well, nothing too desperate...
Dena Elbling (Ladyzinga)
Posted on Sunday, January 01, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete PostView Post/Check IPPrint Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Something about the CD, though I canít say I understand it. The doorkeeper was almost going to take it before, but he didnít.